Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2021, 14:23   #1

Bulkhead

So I've just discovered that I have a rotting bullhead, there seems to be water intrusion from the toe rail that caused it. What I need to know is if I can replace it with the boat in the water and with the mast up without deforming the hull. Right now the bulk head is essentially gone on the side of the hull, but intact towards the bottom. It is not the bulkhead adjacent to the compression post below the mast it is the one behind that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210817_170549.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	243961

Name:	IMG_20210817_170535.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	391.9 KB
ID:	243962

Name:	IMG_20210817_171141.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	243963

Name:	IMG_20210817_170608.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	243964
Brimikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 14:48   #2

Re: Bulkhead

Boat is a 1969 Bristol 32 by the way
Old 17-08-2021, 14:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

It’s more cosmetic than structural. I presume there is nothing above relying on it? Perhaps the lower shrouds?

In its current condition it’s probably not contributing much to strength.

If you are worried, reduce or eliminate the rig tension while you are glassing in a new one. Leave it in the water. Oh - fix the leak.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 15:16   #4

Actually none of my chain plates mount to bulkheads, they are all on ribs that support the side deck. What do you think o should use to replace it, just some marine grade plywood, maybe coated in epoxy to help with even more water resistance?
Old 17-08-2021, 16:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I would think you would like it to look good. Depends where you are and what wood or other materials are available. My bulkheads not supporting the mast are very stout to stiffen the deck like rafters in a house. I can’t really tell what’s up with yours.
Nicholson58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 19:28   #6

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Ahoy Brimikeg-
Can you show us which one is rotten on the diagram please?
I am not getting it from the photos.
Copy the pic into Paint or something and mark it up and then attach it back to a reply.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bulkhead.png
Views:	101
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	243967  
Old 17-08-2021, 20:47   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Ahoy Brimikeg-
Can you show us which one is rotten on the diagram please?
I am not getting it from the photos.
Copy the pic into Paint or something and mark it up and then attach it back to a reply.
It’s the bulkhead in the main cabin, portside, forward. It also acts as the portside, aft, for the head.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 04:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
It’s the bulkhead in the main cabin, portside, forward. It also acts as the portside, aft, for the head.

Thanks Orion Jim. Port made sense but I could not figure out cabin or forward berth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bulkhead2.png
Views:	85
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	243975  
Old 18-08-2021, 13:44   #9

Yes that's the right bulkhead, I was thinking of putting a veneer over the plywood to make up look nice or just painting it. I would like it to act as a bit of support for the cabin top as well though so I'll take any suggestions. I already have some 3/8 sheets of pvc and starboard, but I thought the PVC might be to porous to use and I'm unsure about the strength in both. I have also read that there should be a small gap or foam lining around the edge so that when the hull or deck shift a little it doesn't press into the deck and cause a seam. Right now it has a small air gap filled with what looks like fiberglass cloth with no epoxy, I've seen this in some other Bristol's too so I assume it's factory. Would foam be a better option? If so what kind? What's the recommended way to get an exact copy of the bulkhead so I can fabricate it in my woodshop? I was thinking cardboard template. I planed on redoing the interior of the boat anyway to make it a more comfortable live aboard so I'm just released that it's not a key structural part and can be replaced at anchor. Thank you for the replies!
Old 18-08-2021, 19:28   #10

For me, cardboard templates with little 'sticks' to get the exact curves worked best, way better than taking measurements and trying to re-loft them.

I am wondering...asking for a friend...could this be done in sections by leaving the not-so-rotten portion as a support while digging out the rotten part?

I like your lamp and instruments on the bulkhead, hopefully you can make them a nice new home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	spot_s21_template2.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	243996   Click image for larger version

Name:	spot_s21_vb_fit 8.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	243998  

Name:	bulkhead3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	244000  
Old 18-08-2021, 19:34   #11

Boat: S2 9.1

If it is only rotted in the bottom corner then just cut a section out and insert a new piece of appropriate plywood.

Will be hard to get an exact match but if it is not too large a piece it will be plenty strong enough.
Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 20:02   #12

I might be interested in replacing just that portion as the part that runs under the floor into the bilge area actually looks not rotten and in decent condition, but Id do some more inspecting and see how far the rotting goes before making that decision. Due to the size I may have to do it in 2 parts anyway, does that significantly reduce the strength, where is the best place to cut it if I do make 2 separate parts? I was thinking where the deck turns into cabin top.

I do intend to clean up those instruments and make sure they are working! I think they are super neat.
Old 18-08-2021, 20:04   #13

How structurally compromised do you think this makes the boat? I would really like to bring it to the mooring I plan to stay at for a while, however that's about a 3 day journey. Do you think I could make it there then do the repair, or would you advise trying to fix it first?
Old 18-08-2021, 21:19   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

None of those pictures shows what's at the join of the bulkhead, hull, and port cabin sole. Until you know what's going on there, how can you look seriously at the replacement or scarfing of the bulkhead?

Ann
Old 19-08-2021, 00:38   #15

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
None of those pictures shows what's at the join of the bulkhead, hull, and port cabin sole. Until you know what's going on there, how can you look seriously at the replacement or scarfing of the bulkhead?

Ann
Finally some good advice.

The boat is 52 years old. Combined with the age, the second and third pictures indicate the the whole bulkhead is likely toast.

You need to detemine how much the fore and aft head bulkheads actually contribute to the overall 'strength' of the structure. Perhaps a good indication will be how they are attached; if they're heavily glassed all around (doesn't look like it) they're definitely providing a lot of stiffness.

My boat, built at the same time, is remarkably similar to yours; none of the bulkheads fore and aft of the mast were glassed in at all. The entire main stiffness relies on the bonding of the liner to the hull.

The bulkheads do support the cabin top, and to some extent resist the squeezing' forces induced by the mast shrouds.

If your boat is built the same as others from that era, the glasswork is quite heavy (by today's standards) and the boat should be easily capable of making a three day inside or mostly inside journey.

If your motor's good and the standing rigging looks OK, I wouldn't have a problem with the trip.

But that is sight unseen...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head