Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 18:16   #1

Bulkhead

Endeavour 37A bulkhead issue. Looking at a 37A I find an issue that I will call a bulkhead under the teak sole forward of the water tank and aft of the mast step.You can see it from where the thru hull is for the head.It runs across to the frig area near the galley.They say it is an issue on this boat as the water has no where to go. This has dry rotted and I plan to have it repaired but the problem is sailing it home from Tarpon Springs,Fl to Pensacola. Mast step is in great condition and all seems good but I am wondering if this is a safety issue.Any and all help will be excepted with open arms.
Thanks Mark
molly girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 12:30   #2

Boat: 51' Formosa Cutter Rigged Ketch
Re: Bulkhead

I can't tell you for sure if that is a safety issue, depending on how bad the dry rot is, but I did have a bulkhead that had dry rot from a leaking chain plate. The lead was fixed but the bulkhead already had some damage to it. I searched high and low for options and in the end decided that I was not ready to try to scarf in a new piece of bulkhead, so I used penetrating epoxy. If anyone else wants to try this, I did do a video of how I did it on our boat. It worked great and completely solidified that bulkhead. Hope this helps.

Our blog post with the video embedded - Dreams of that "Last Affair": Using Git-Rot Penetrating Epoxy on a Bulkhead
Using Penetrating Epoxy on Bulkhead - You Tube Video of the work
glhotka is offline   Reply With Quote