Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2024, 22:30   #46
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Bulkhead repair suggestions Gemini 105M

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
A well done scarf glued in with epoxy would probably be fine without the glass, reaching the same strength as original. Or a butt joint like you said but could grind out a taper on the joint and glass tab the taper would also work fine.
I see no reason for a huge part of the bulkhead to be removed as someone stated earlier for such a small piece of rotten wood, but everyone must repair in the manner in which they feel comfortable?
Indeed. I have seen many larger repairs but they all had damage indicating that the original construction was too weak. I remember a good video from the Young Barnacles who also upgraded to carbon fiber chainplates.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 23:49   #47

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharch View Post
Coopec43

Thanks fir the link. I read through that. When considering similar areas of repair, they seem to be doing the save thing, cut out rotten part, put a new piece on and fiberglass it. Main difference appears to be that the glassing extends to the hull. Am I missing something?

Gemini bulkheads don't seem to have been designed that way. They appear to be designed with some give. I don't know enough about boat structures to alter a fundamental design criterion.

Thoughts?
I would extend the fiberglass to the hull. I would ensure the bulkhead is "tabbed" heavily to the hull all way around.

But a word of WARNING! I am not familiar with lightweight multi-hull construction so what I think may not be correct.

You might be interested in this? (Is yours a M105Mc?)

https://chesapeakemultihulls.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Gemini_Owners_Manual_105Mc-1.pdf
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 23:58   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I would extend the fiberglass to the hull. I would ensure the bulkhead is "tabbed" heavily to the hull all way around.

But a word of WARNING! I am not familiar with lightweight multi-hull construction so what I think may not be correct.

You might be interested in this? (Is yours a M105Mc?)

https://chesapeakemultihulls.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Gemini_Owners_Manual_105Mc-1.pdf
I will check that link. It is a 105M

Not the MC
Looks like gemini by design has bulkheads that have some give, to reduce the load on the light weight hulls
Thanks
tharch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2024, 23:59   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Indeed. I have seen many larger repairs but they all had damage indicating that the original construction was too weak. I remember a good video from the Young Barnacles who also upgraded to carbon fiber chainplates.
Thanks Jedi
I saw his videos too about the chainplates. Fascinating mix of old and new
Old 24-05-2024, 00:03   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
A well done scarf glued in with epoxy would probably be fine without the glass, reaching the same strength as original. Or a butt joint like you said but could grind out a taper on the joint and glass tab the taper would also work fine.
I see no reason for a huge part of the bulkhead to be removed as someone stated earlier for such a small piece of rotten wood, but everyone must repair in the manner in which they feel comfortable?
Thanks smj. I am all for making less work for me too
It is in a fairly accessible place on both sides. I am thinking of a butt joint, then grind and glass and a doubler plate on the back for some assurance.
Old 24-05-2024, 01:41   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharch View Post
I will check that link. It is a 105M

Not the MC
Looks like gemini by design has bulkheads that have some give, to reduce the load on the light weight hulls
Thanks

What about this one then?

https://www.yumpu.com/xx/document/vi...manual-gemcats
Old 24-05-2024, 07:39   #52

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Forget about hiding the repair. It's hard to do, and make you look dishonest. A strong repair shows best practice.

Cut out the rotten plywood. Put in a new filler piece to fill that space.
Then put a new piece of plywood (or aluminum plate or really thick glass panel) with an eight to 12 inch overlap, bigger than your filler piece, glued and through bolted to the bulkhead, on the other side from the chain plate, and bolt the chain plate back on, with longer bolts.
If you want to make it look good on the chain plate side, put one or two layers od glass cloth in epoxy over the repair, and paint it, or just paint it.

If the bulkhead to hull joint has not shown any problems, leave it alone!
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 16:45   #53

[QUOTE=gulfislandfred;3902258]Forget about hiding the repair. It's hard to do, and make you look dishonest. A strong repair shows best practice.

Then put a new piece of plywood (or aluminum plate or really thick glass panel) with an eight to 12 inch overlap, bigger than your filler piece, glued and through bolted to the bulkhead, on the other side from the chain plate, and bolt the chain plate back on, with longer bolts.
If you want to make it look good on the chain plate side, put one or two layers od glass cloth in epoxy over the repair, and paint it, or just paint it.

If the bulkhead to hull joint has not shown any problems, leave it alone![/QUOTE]

That is the part that worries me but some on this thread are saying it doesn't have to be joined to the hull!

This is Post #3

tharch

Hi coopec43
It is apparently cherry laminate and it does not appear to be glassed to the hull. It seems to insert in to a slot created by a fiberglass lip

What is the point of repairing the bulkhead if it isn't attached to the hull?. (Probably 100kg 20ft(?) up the mast (in a choppy sea) swing to-and-fro)

I think tharch needs expert advice and not advice from people on a forum thread.
Old 24-05-2024, 19:51   #54

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

If the boat has been in service for a while, and others of the same design have not failed catastrophically, I would trust the designers, and leave the bulkhead as built.

Not a bad idea to research the issue, see what other owners have done, and decide if action is indicated. If action is indicated, then do ALL the bulkhead to hull joints.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 19:59   #55
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=coopec43;3902444]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
Forget about hiding the repair. It's hard to do, and make you look dishonest. A strong repair shows best practice.

If the bulkhead to hull joint has not shown any problems, leave it alone![/QUOTE]

That is the part that worries me but some on this thread are saying it doesn't have to be joined to the hull!

This is Post #3

tharch

Hi coopec43
It is apparently cherry laminate and it does not appear to be glassed to the hull. It seems to insert in to a slot created by a fiberglass lip

What is the point of repairing the bulkhead if it isn't attached to the hull?. (Probably 100kg 20ft(?) up the mast (in a choppy sea) swing to-and-fro)

I think tharch needs expert advice and not advice from people on a forum thread.
I think the bulkhead maybe tabbed into the hull but that part isn’t compromised. The bulkhead to deck section maybe compromised but that appears to be what is called a floating bulkhead, in no way physically attached to the deck but floating between two fiberglass lips.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2024, 20:37   #56

Mmmmn I don't like it. A mast stay attached to a floating bulkhead?

https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-revie...ed-boat-review
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 11-33-07 Gemini Catamarans Used Boat Review.png
Views:	13
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	290236  
Old 25-05-2024, 00:03   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Mmmmn I don't like it. A mast stay attached to a floating bulkhead?

https://www.spinsheet.com/boat-revie...ed-boat-review
But physics don’t care for our opinions. Engineers have determined it works and reality has supported that. Apparently it is how airplanes are built too.

I see many bulkheads that have foam between the bulkhead and the deck, then a thin layer of glass over that foam, which is contoured like fillets, to keep it in place. This isn’t a structural connection but rather the same function as the channels of this Gemini.

They avoid print-through this way.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2024, 00:23   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
But physics don’t care for our opinions. Engineers have determined it works and reality has supported that. Apparently it is how airplanes are built too.

I see many bulkheads that have foam between the bulkhead and the deck, then a thin layer of glass over that foam, which is contoured like fillets, to keep it in place. This isn’t a structural connection but rather the same function as the channels of this Gemini.

They avoid print-through this way.

You haven't convinced me (I think "ll give catamarans a miss)

What are bulkheads in aircraft?

A bulkhead is a physical partition that divides a plane into different classes or sections. Typically, a bulkhead is a wall but can also be a curtain or screen. Bulkheads can be found throughout the plane, separating the seats from the galley and lavatory areas.

Tags
gemini, gemini 105, head, repair