Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 13:49   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Burly tape source And specs

I'm wondering if there are differences in types or brands of butyl tape. I am rebedding all of the port lights on my pilot house and thinking to use butyl tape for that job they are held in with a frame and bolts so I'm not interested in adhesion, just a good seal. Where would you order it?
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 13:55   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Burly tape source And specs

And big box store. Misleading Advertising notwithstanding, butyl is butyl and there is no better brand or type - are all the same.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:27   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

^^What he said. Three main types though, black, grey and white, black being the stiffest, white the softest.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 19:43   #4

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter

Good info, I didn't know it came in anything but grey. For my application stiffer would be better I thing, as it wouldn't compress as much, and squeeze out as I tighten the bolts holding it in place.
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 20:13   #5
rbk

Boat: T37

It will still press out just slower. Best to go with grey or white. Even grey needs to be heated or applied in the morning and let the sun hit and re-torque in mid day heat.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:47   #6

Boat: Watkins 29

I shopped around for butyl tape and most marine outlets had it for $20 a roll or thereabouts! Homie Depot... $5.00. it's no different than what you would get at West Marine except the packaging isn't as nice!

I've sealed hatches, winches, shrouds, deck hardware, ... Don't over over spend. If it will work on a metal roof on a house and expect to last for decades, it will work on your boat!
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:04   #7

Boat: San Juan 23

Try Marine How To (Marinehowto.com). They have their own brand made special for them supposedly formulated for the marine environment. Works great!
Gneiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 15:44   #8

You can also get butyl in caulk gun tubes. It's getting harder to find in hardware stores but it can be found on the internet. To make it softer, for use in the tubes, it's formulated with a little solvent like mineral spirits. The solvent will leave over time resulting in the stiff butyl that you get as tape. The butyl in caulk gun tubes is much easier to use but you'll need a bunch of rags and mineral spirits to clean up the excess that squeezes out. You should be able to get it in white, grey or black. The only drawback of tubes is that the tubes are made of cardboard so if they get wet they won't work in a caulk gun; however, you could scoop it out. I store my tubes in plastic bags to protect them. In my oppinion, butyl is the best bedding compound for sealing out water because it's completely hydrophobic, and never cures hard so it can be removed when needed.
jack630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 15:57   #9

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneiss View Post
Try Marine How To (Marinehowto.com). They have their own brand made special for them supposedly formulated for the marine environment. Works great!
This is good advice, butyl tape is NOTall the same.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:49   #10

Boat: Norseman 447

OK, I’ll play the game. What evidence have you got that "all butyl tapes are the same?" I understand that there are lots of things that get marked up when the seller stamps "marine" or "boat" on them. But there are a lot of things that "look the same" but aren’t really. Enlighten me about butyl tape, please.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:11   #11

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
This is good advice, butyl tape is NOTall the same.
Actually, it is (all the same). Different dye colors, different marketing schemes, different advertising to mislead the uninformed but all butyl is butyl regardless of how much lipstick is applied.

A company I worked for as a chemical engineer formulated and produced most butyl sold in the US rebranded under different brand names. If you doubt this, ask the merchants selling special secret product where they obtain it from and why it is unique. Don’t be one of those ‘suckers’ born every minute.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:41   #12

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

+1 for Marinehowto.com

I would argue for supporting Rod and his website (and I have) just because of all the great work he has done for the community in his 'research' and publishing of articles on his site. It is quite extensive and provides a wealth of info the the diy'er at no cost.

Buy the butyl from there ...
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote