Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2023, 23:50   #1
Nor

Buying advice - Survey showed excessive moisture below waterline

Just did a survey on a 2012 built Fountaine Pajot Mahe cat. The moisture below the waterline is out of range all over the hull, on the surveyor's Tramex Skipper Plus. Also on some areas above the waterline. But there were no osmosis discovered. The boat has been in the water all year round in the tropics since new.
The surveyor says the only thing that can be done is to let her dry out, out of water, but that it’s impossible to say how long that could take, months or years. Still, the boat is usable and no imminent danger, but a big issue is the resale value of the boat.
I understand earlier FP Mahe’s and other FP had issues with osmosis but that this was improved for later builds.
Would you walk away, or still consider the boat, if so how much should this affect the price?
Nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 01:45   #2

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48
Re: Buying advice - Survey showed excessive moisture below waterline

If possible get some core samples from the highest reading areas to see if the core is actually saturated ,if positive ,start looking for something else ,it is possible to dry a core ,expensive and time consuming .⛵️⚓️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 01:46   #3
Nor

Old 20-04-2023, 02:02   #4

Boat: Endeavour 32

I’d first use another meter to confirm the first one.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 02:05   #5
Nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Harmony View Post
I’d first use another meter to confirm the first one.
There is also places on the boat that shows low moisture
Old 20-04-2023, 05:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If we assume the meter is accurate- buy yourself a first class ticket home and think of all the money you saved.

BUT, before I walked away from the boat, I would use a second meter. Hard to believe that much of the core is compromised without some visible defect or repair of the fiberglass. UNLESS they did a good job hiding a severe grounding.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 06:08   #7
Nor

There had been a grounding, the minikeels were full of water. However, the keels will be repaired by the seller. But if this could also have caused the moisture in the hull? Them keels are sacrificial.
It's a charter boat that's currently in use, in charter. And no visible sign of damage or repair, either now or when I viewed the boat 6 weeks ago.
Old 20-04-2023, 06:48   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor View Post
There had been a grounding, the minikeels were full of water. However, the keels will be repaired by the seller. But if this could also have caused the moisture in the hull? Them keels are sacrificial.
It's a charter boat that's currently in use, in charter. And no visible sign of damage or repair, either now or when I viewed the boat 6 weeks ago.
IMHO- start looking at other boats
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 08:04   #9

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
IMHO- start looking at other boats
Agree. Unless you can negotiate a huge discount. If you fix it, you should budget months on the hard and as much as 100k (depending on how much you can do yourself and where the work is done).
I did very well about 15 years ago with a storm damaged boat that I bought for $35k (market price was about $100k higher) and put about $40k into it. Took about 4 months to fix it up to pristine condition then sailed it for 2 years, then sold it for over $100k.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 08:54   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

For what it’s worth the Mahe is solid laminate below waterline and foam cored above. I have little faith in moisture meters as I’ve seen quite a few false readings so maybe a core sample above waterline in the foam core would be a reasonable thing to do?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 09:19   #11
Nor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
For what it’s worth the Mahe is solid laminate below waterline and foam cored above. I have little faith in moisture meters as I’ve seen quite a few false readings so maybe a core sample above waterline in the foam core would be a reasonable thing to do?
Do you mean that moisture is not an issue in the solid laminate?
Old 20-04-2023, 09:31   #12
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor View Post
Do you mean that moisture is not an issue in the solid laminate?

I’m sure it could be an issue, but I think there’s a better chance of there being moisture in the cored area. Does it have an epoxy barrier coat below waterline?
Old 20-04-2023, 09:36   #13
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The surveyor must sound the hull using a hammer. If he didn’t then find another…

This will reveal where the core stops (drill a test hole through the outer skin 1/2” up from the transition to solid glass) as well as any delamination.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2023, 09:42   #14
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The surveyor must sound the hull using a hammer. If he didn’t then find another…

This will reveal where the core stops (drill a test hole through the outer skin 1/2” up from the transition to solid glass) as well as any delamination.

I like the idea of drilling a hole where possible water was found in the cored area, but why drill through the outer skin and not the inner skin?
Old 20-04-2023, 09:46   #15

Good luck finding a seller that will agree to destruction testing during a pre-sale survey. You'd have to agree to repair the hole to it's current state. I'm not interested in digging that deep into a sale.

It's an argument for buying your own moisture meter to use during initial viewing before hiring a surveyor.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, buying, survey, water