Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2014, 09:05   #16

Re: cabin headliner

Hello All

New to the forum, but just started refurb on a 25 Ft Flamenca (South African Design). I have a grp hull and wooden deck and since SA is so hot in the summer, looking for a headliner for the boat. We do not have all the great products like the people in Europe and USa, so need to improvise.

The easiest is probably a anti mold carpet, but with a little one on the boat, I am looking for something I can wipe clean.

I have been think along the line of Wood Laminates used for flooring or the Stick on Vinyl also used for flooring.

Any other ideas?
JohnnieSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 15:37   #17
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

There are a couple of new products on the market that may be worth looking at. Whisperwalls makes a track that attaches around perimeter and across like a grid ceiling. the fabric is rolled into the track with a tool that looks like a pizza cutter. The fabric be it perforated vinly or whatever can be pulled down and reinstalled if service is needed underneath.

Headliner Track Perimeter 18' | Trivantage

Heres a discussion of marine headliner systems in another forum I started. June C is among the best marine soft furnishing fabricators on the planet IMHO

Your preferred marine headliner system?

another is a system of fasteners that allows panels to be pushed in place and pulled down easily. Its called fastmount.

http://www.miamicorp.com/products/MARINE/FASTMOUNT.aspx
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 16:19   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieSailor View Post
Hello All

New to the forum, but just started refurb on a 25 Ft Flamenca (South African Design). I have a grp hull and wooden deck and since SA is so hot in the summer, looking for a headliner for the boat. We do not have all the great products like the people in Europe and USa, so need to improvise.

The easiest is probably a anti mold carpet, but with a little one on the boat, I am looking for something I can wipe clean.

I have been think along the line of Wood Laminates used for flooring or the Stick on Vinyl also used for flooring.

Any other ideas?
Welcome about JohnnieSailor. I am going through a refit of my 26 footer and headliner came up.

Carpet is a bad idea - As you note it is not very "cleanable" with a kid on board but more importantly it breaks down easily and starts shedding dust badly.

The headliner for cars - very low nap fabric, some people call mouse fur, was discussed at length in a thread here.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1568462

The post linked is what I am ending up with - I went to an auto reupholstery shop and looked at various vinyls. Vinyl is flexible and will mold in corners easier and is very cleanable. Actually I have decided to clean and refinish my current vinyl ceiling and that is working OK for me.

Here is my refit thread which has lots of interior photos scattered around so you can get an idea of my ceiling that I am attempting to refinish.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...t-87986-2.html

Another way to go, of course, is to build ceiling panels and this have been successfully done by a few members here might use the "Google" search feature as it has a better hit rate.

You are only limited by your time, imagination an effort on this one...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
headliner