Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2023, 16:25   #31

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Cabin sole: Teak/Holly or Teak only

Good point on the denting. The teak parquet in my galley has quite a few dents in it at this point.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 18:14   #32

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Carina's sole is planked teak over plywood, with the teak bedded in with a brown polyurethane sealant. It is more than 30 years old and going strong. Her companionway steps are closer to 40 years old and have holly strips (proud) let into solid teak; the holly has held up remarkably well for 30 years of cruising and liveaboard use, while the front edge of the teak does show some wear. I would do it all the same way again. Also, I started by oiling the teak sole but have let it age without further treatment. Of course it darkens with time and I like the look and lack of slipperiness.

I see no point in making a teak and holly sole unless the holly stands proud; otherwise it is just as useless as teak and holly veneered plywood. Much work for no practical improvement.

As others have said, using sand for non-skid is a bad idea unless you like tearing up your feet. And you better not fall down on it or you will get a bad case of road rash. I have used polymeric spheres mixed into varnish or paint and find that it is highly effective as well as being easy on the feet and skin. Another non-benefit to mixing sand with gelcoat or paint: it is hell-on-wheels to try to remove. The polymeric spheres sand flat easily, allowing the coatings to be applied and finished, before a final coat with the new spheres in it. I have been using them in varnish on my bowsprit for about 25 years and haven't seen anything better.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 18:41   #33

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

I selected dark mahogany and silver ash for the appearance we wanted, not knowing anything about what was "hardest" or "best", and had the 16 cabin sole boards made of 10mm marine grad ply and a custom 1mm veneer, finished with high gloss polyurethane and the undersides heavily epoxied. They have held up well for 21 years of full time liveaboard use including the completion of a circumnavigation and the abuse that a race boat gets. There is some dark staining on two of the boards where water pools when we are heeled (no bilge to speak of) but I don't know how to refinish them I have trouble getting the polyurethane off to sand down the wood.

There is no accommodation made to "non-skid" but it has not been a problem. The carpets have rubber mats under them.

All of these boards are quickly removable so access under then (into the 6" bilge) is easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heater and sole-144729.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	445.3 KB
ID:	281663   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galleya nd sole 0011.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	281664  

Old 03-10-2023, 02:52   #34

Boat: Steel Lavranos 50

I made the cabin flooring from strips of iroko and Jacaranda which looks like teak and holly but is more available.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152956...5/35246655434/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152956...5/35277807163/
Distant_Shaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:35   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distant_Shaws View Post
I made the cabin flooring from strips of iroko and Jacaranda which looks like teak and holly but is more available.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152956...5/35246655434/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152956...5/35277807163/
That is beautiful wood. Nice work. I might try this with a small section of the v-berth i need to replace.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, cabin sole, teak