Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 10:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Cable vs Hydrallic Steering

I am ready to haul and install engine steering system ect in my 48 ft project sailboat,The boat is 47ft 6 inches on deck 35 ft waterline full keel 5 ft dtaft displaces 40,000- lbs or there bouts.I have a complete Edson cable steering system but am exploring Hydrallic seems simpler.Please any help and ideas would be appreciated.Thanks
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 11:15   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Cable vs Hydrallic sterring

There is a thread on the forum by delmarrey showing his conversion to hydraulic steering. Its worth searching for.

Being the nice guy that I am ...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cer-18768.html
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 01:28   #3

Location: Auckland New Zealand {land of the long white cloud}
Boat: William Garden Transworld 41
Re: Cable vs Hydrallic Steering

Hydrallic is the only way, no weather helm or flogging with an auto pilot
Old 27-08-2011, 05:15   #4

On the other hand, no rudder feedback with hydraulic; I hate the hydraulic but other projects have always taken precedence.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 08:02   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have Marol hydraulic steering at both inside and deck helms on my 41 foot steel pilothouse cutter. Wouldn't have it any other way, as the forces exerted by the transom-hung rudder are considerable. I will be installing a second ram for backup and for the ComNav autopilot. Both products are more "commercial" than "marine" and I encourage this approach over the standard "marine" brands for a 48 foot 40,000 pounder. That's trawler sized, and you can't be dicking around with something made for a weekending Hunter or Catalina.

Hydraulics need some knowledge for maintenance, mind you, but are generally reliable. No truck is steered by a quadrant, and quadrants take up space and have to be designed carefully to space out stresses and to guarantee access. Some boats are terrible in this respect and to re-reeve the steering cables involves disassembly of the aft end of the boat.

At the same time as I have hydraulic steering stations, I have a tiller head, a hydraulic bypass valve, and a tiller with fittings for a windvane. The idea is to have two completely unconnected ways in which to helm the boat, one amp-munching, hydraulic aided autopilot for motoring, and the other line-controlled, amp-free, deck-accessible windvane for sailing.

I'm designing and installing for offshore use. Your mileage, etc. etc.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 08:13   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my formosa has cable steering with hydraulic autopilot. i love it. i love it much.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:49   #7

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

I'm set up the same as Zee's boat.

Cable IMO has better feel, easy to work on and a piece of cable makes repairs cheap and have all necessary parts to make a repair anywhere.

No leaking or blown hoses to contaminate the bilge...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 10:19   #8

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
On the other hand, no rudder feedback with hydraulic; I hate the hydraulic but other projects have always taken precedence.
I think you will find that all the hydraulic steering manufacturers offer a valve which allows some feedback to the wheel - can be manually or solenoid switched from the cockpit.

Hydraulics gives you options - pumps of various sizes so you can choose your power - even power steering option for heavy weather, back up systems are easy. Very reliable system. But you should have a back up of some sort - hydraulic, wire, extra rudder, whatever. Since you already have it , why not go for hydraulic and leave the wire system in place as back-up.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 10:31   #9

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I personally prefer forward facing direct rack and pinion if one has an aft cockpit--There are no cable runs or hydraulic lines below deck to take up space, minimal parts to worry about, simple maintenance, and easily accessed from the cockpit by removing the helmsman's seat, and one has the option of steering by tiller should something go wrong with the rack and pinion--or if one simply prefers tiller to wheel.
Old 27-08-2011, 11:19   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliebear View Post
Hydrallic is the only way, no weather helm or flogging with an auto pilot
Just because you don't feel it, doesn't mean you don't have weather helm.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 11:40   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Simply restating the above posts -
- - Hydraulics are much more versatile and easy to install and maintain. But have no "feel" or feedback from the rudder.
- - Cable/rod/chain steering is more complicated with more moving parts, but has positive feedback to you at the wheel. You can feel what the rudder is feeling.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 09:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Simply restating the above posts -
- - Hydraulics are much more versatile and easy to install and maintain. But have no "feel" or feedback from the rudder.
It all depend of the ratio between the pump and the ram, a balanced rudder may have also little feel.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 11:51   #13

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse

Having two helms (pilothouse) we have cable steering in the cockpit and hydraulic at the inside station. Completely independent systems, if one goes down a quarter turn of a valve at the inside helm and you are up and going again. I much prefer cable or R/P because of the rudder feel, but our previous boat was all hydraulic and you get to where you can "feel" the rudder by the amount of effort needed to turn the wheel, (in higher winds, forget it under 15 k) even though there is no direct feedback. Hydraulic is the only way to go if the installation is going to be complicated by long runs, etc.
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 12:12   #14

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Anyone used Edson Pull/Pull conduit steering.
I installed it on my C&C Redwing in '87. Still works perfectly.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:50   #15

Boat: cal cruising 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I have Marol hydraulic steering at both inside and deck helms on my 41 foot steel pilothouse cutter. Wouldn't have it any other way, as the forces exerted by the transom-hung rudder are considerable. I will be installing a second ram for backup and for the ComNav autopilot. Both products are more "commercial" than "marine" and I encourage this approach over the standard "marine" brands for a 48 foot 40,000 pounder. That's trawler sized, and you can't be dicking around with something made for a weekending Hunter or Catalina.

Hydraulics need some knowledge for maintenance, mind you, but are generally reliable. No truck is steered by a quadrant, and quadrants take up space and have to be designed carefully to space out stresses and to guarantee access. Some boats are terrible in this respect and to re-reeve the steering cables involves disassembly of the aft end of the boat.

At the same time as I have hydraulic steering stations, I have a tiller head, a hydraulic bypass valve, and a tiller with fittings for a windvane. The idea is to have two completely unconnected ways in which to helm the boat, one amp-munching, hydraulic aided autopilot for motoring, and the other line-controlled, amp-free, deck-accessible windvane for sailing.

I'm designing and installing for offshore use. Your mileage, etc. etc.

hello fellow sailors

i am a firm believer that maintenance is key to longevity of boats

my cal cruising 46 has hydraulic steering for both inside and outside steering

WHAT SORT OF MAINTENANCE MUST I DO TO ENSURE GOOD PERFORMANCE?

THANKS IN ADVANCE
EDWIN
CAL 46 LAHLIA
MARINA DEL REY CA
edwmama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering