Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2017, 20:27   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Calling All Idiots!

Nor is that degree of work ethic and quick-learning ability.

Be grateful for your gifts. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 21:40   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

And be careful of what you see on the internet. There are way to many, I'm not an expert but this is the way to do it, experts out there.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 22:18   #33
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Then please, you two, tell me why you assembled the fuel sender upside down...
We all thought it saves on fuel[emoji4]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 22:38   #34

Here's a question to you from a newbie then, where does one come across the proper skill set? How does new guy know the right way if not from the sailor next door? Just curious.
Free2GoodHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 23:06   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2GoodHome View Post
Here's a question to you from a newbie then, where does one come across the proper skill set? How does new guy know the right way if not from the sailor next door? Just curious.
Here are a couple hints.from a real Newby. ( really its my last name) . There is a plethora of information about just about everything at your local library. Next many mechanics would be happy to have you assist in doing small jobs on your vessel. Lastly depending on where you live the local community college / tech school will have classes that you can.take to get the skillset nedded for many jobs/ maintenance projects that transfer to your boats. Most have.mini courses on things like diesel maintance and many other subjects . Check it out and ask lots of questions about everything .
Old 30-08-2017, 00:58   #36

Boat: Leopard 39

That's life, and not just with boats. Anyone who's done repairs to "old work" in houses knows that people are neither perfect nor meticulous in many endeavors; and some of the more occult boners you're encountering on your vessel may even have been "professionally" done. When you're a meticulous person, as you seem to be, "suffering the work of fools gladly" is daily fare.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 01:43   #37

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Wan View Post
Then please, you two, tell me why you assembled the fuel sender upside down...
Well, I guess the boat was prepared to sail to Australia, and all way down the Globe - every thing is there upside down at the antipodes - you know. so it is logically that the sensors should be too....

Another explanation could be: it was just meant as an IQ test for the new owner.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 02:05   #38
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. We bought a production boat so our family would have something nice to use in a timely fashion.
I bought a brand new production boat last year, but sold it a few weeks ago as I was discussed with the poor build quality, the lack of access to important bits and pieces and the lack of factory support. Fortunately I had it surveyed before delivery, got a long list of things to be fixed under warranty but other stuff kept popping up and I had enough.
A buyer fell in love with the boat and paid $10k more than I did 18 months earlier.
(Still in shock)
Not only previous owners who are idiots, factory workers, supervisors and quality control managers also qualify.
Old 30-08-2017, 02:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
I think, you underestimate the DIY-Guy,
I'll bet, the boat was capsized when the sensor was mounted - so everything was perfect in the first place. You just use the boat the wrong way .
Or the sensor was fitted in New Zealand ....
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 02:16   #40

The PO of my current boat used the official dealer motor guys to regularly service his engine.

He told me the engine sometimes ran too hot, the motor guys had done a head job but it was still happening.

I had to bring the boat home through Bass Strait so I went right through the engine. The coolant channels were blocked with scale, and the mechanics had fitted a FWC 170 degree thermostat, not the correct RWC 140 degree one. Problem was easily fixed as I had brought a spare....

Then when I brought the boat home I had to scrub out all the sump oil they had left in the bilges.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 06:02   #41

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free2GoodHome View Post
If you think the "sailor next door" knows anything except about sailing , you are making an unfortunate assumption.

Many things that need to be done on boats require education, training and skills that won't be found among the general public. Electrical work for example. An electrician will have worked for several years as an apprentice while going to school at night. He will have taken and passed a test and received a license. Same for a plumber. A carpenter will have worked under a master carpenter as an apprentice for a few years. Nobody just woke up one day and hung out a sign saying "expert boat painter". Same for an engine mechanic. A good one will have gone to school and had factory training on several brands of engines.

Obviously you don't need a licensed electrician to replace a light bulb, but you would be a fool to think you could rip out all the wiring in your boat and replace it without electrical knowledge and experience.

So then there's "aptitude". I have seen (and corrected) the work of people with a PHD in education or art. These aren't stupid people but they don't have the aptitude to figure out mechanical or electrical things.

If you are a "fix it" kind of guy (or girl), you will be able to do minor repairs and additions by learning from books or the Internet. If not, a checkbook is your best tool.
Old 30-08-2017, 06:39   #42

Boat: B24

All good points, but one of the best assets a boat can have is a knowledgeable owner… I’ve written the check for some terrible (like, patently unsafe) jobs done by professionals at big-time sailing centers and I’ve screwed up a few things myself (just to prove I can do it too…), but at the end of the day (contemporary litigation tendencies aside), the skipper is responsible for ensuring the vessel is safe to use, period… I’m reasonably adept at much old-school composite work, most wood, and bit of rigging and the basic mechanics of the engine-spaces; but am an absolute nitwit when it comes to digital electronics… solution; I don’t use what I don’t know how to keep running (yep, I still use a slide-phone, an old handheld GPS, simple 12-volt wired circuitry, a lead-line, and a chart -- paper…). Nothing wrong with the fancier stuff in the right hands, but to quote Dirty Harry, a man’s got to know his limitations…
Old 30-08-2017, 09:02   #43

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
or left the dock forgetting to disconnect the shore power cable
Dam....ive done that.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 09:48   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Worked on boats for years and have more owner repair stories than I can remember. One call I got a few years ago from a desperate woman who said that after four days of trying a repair her husband was about to throw our equipment over board. It took me fifteen minutes to find and correct the problem. I tell the nice folks that this isn't rocket science. After the wife stops laughing for a few moments she informs me that he just retired from NASA, he IS a rocket scientist. Lesson, sometimes, many times, it's better to let those that know what they are doing do it. More oft than not, if you find the cheapest guy in town, or you want to do the job yourself to save money, you get what you pay for. There are three truisms in this hobby, 1) If you're going to sail, the world, you had better be more than a shade tree mechanic. 2) If you are, refer to truism #3 3) This ain't a cheap hobby.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2017, 10:03   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Worked on boats for years and have more owner repair stories than I can remember. One call I got a few years ago from a desperate woman who said that after four days of trying a repair her husband was about to throw our equipment over board. It took me fifteen minutes to find and correct the problem. I tell the nice folks that this isn't rocket science. After the wife stops laughing for a few moments she informs me that he just retired from NASA, he IS a rocket scientist. Lesson, sometimes, many times, it's better to let those that know what they are doing do it. More oft than not, if you find the cheapest guy in town, or you want to do the job yourself to save money, you get what you pay for. There are three truisms in this hobby, 1) If you're going to sail, the world, you had better be more than a shade tree mechanic. 2) If you are, refer to truism #3 3) This ain't a cheap hobby.
Dang it JT dont want people to learn how to fix all their boat issues .
I gotta get my diesel somehow.

Tags
cal