Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 04:18   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 53; Grace
Calling All Members . . . Please Help !

Our dire situation: Our 1974 53' Gulfstar was hit by a 55' commercial steel finshing boat...a dragger at the port bow at Point Judith RI. Conditions foggy. Extensive damage: Head sail ripped off, main mast broken 1/3 way down, mizzen sheared off, toe rail cracked and broken, rub rail messed up. Deck cracked. Chain plates and 3 bulkheads involved. Fortunately, we did not take on water and the hull appears intact.

We would like to get the repairs done in warm weather than Rhode Island. Any suggestions for yards that can handle this degree of restoration? We were heading south when the incident happened. It appears that we shouldn't have much problem motoring as those systems were not affected. It was also suggested to replace the masts with used ones. Is this possible and where could we find? I did a quick internet search and haven't come up with much.

The boat is insured and the surveyor/adjuster has been assigned and hopefully will be here soon. We have been told that even if the fishing vessel is at fault we will not receive anymore than the insured amount we have on the boat. After the deductable of $5K, $120K does not not go far with this amount of damage.

Grace is our home. I love this boat and want to do as much as I can to restore her. Waking up every morning is soo difficult. We are still on the boat at a very helpful marina. I am feeling overwhelmed and sad.

Any suggestion and perspectives are welcome.

Thanks much,
Linda
justdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 04:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: calling all members...please help!

I do know any of the facilities in your area so I am afraid I cannot be of any practical help, but as someone who lives full time on a yacht I feel your pain.
No one was hurt or killed, boats can be rebuilt.
Good luck with the repairs.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 05:05   #3

Well, If you are motoring down the ICW there are a lot of good boat yards on the way down. I would check in the S.C. area, around Beaufort. I live in Stuart Fl. and there are a number of yards down here that can do that type of work. Check Rig-Rite for spars, or any of the local boat yards. Sometimes they can butt-splice spars back together with an internal sleeve, if ocourse, the rest of the spar is undamaged. If you want, to pm me I'll give you me email address and we can talk further about some contacts here in my area to get what you need. Randy
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 05:09   #4

Boat: Looking for a new boat

You have my utmost condolences, having been through a fire that wrecked my apartment I know what it is like to have a damaged home. It feels like someone has damaged you. Hang in there. Better days are around the corner.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 06:03   #5

Linda, we have had wonderful work done by Deaton's Yacht Services in Oriental, NC. Oriental is also a great place to spend time while the work is being done. And ir is a lot cheaper than Annapolis. It's on the Neuse River on the ICW. If you call them tell Karen and John -- it is a family run business with first class craftsmen -- that Hannah said to call.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 06:38   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoit View Post
Our dire situation: Our 1974 53' Gulfstar was hit by a 55' commercial steel finshing boat...a dragger at the port bow at Point Judith RI. Conditions foggy. Extensive damage: Head sail ripped off, main mast broken 1/3 way down, mizzen sheared off, toe rail cracked and broken, rub rail messed up. Deck cracked. Chain plates and 3 bulkheads involved. Fortunately, we did not take on water and the hull appears intact.

We would like to get the repairs done in warm weather than Rhode Island. Any suggestions for yards that can handle this degree of restoration? We were heading south when the incident happened. It appears that we shouldn't have much problem motoring as those systems were not affected. It was also suggested to replace the masts with used ones. Is this possible and where could we find? I did a quick internet search and haven't come up with much.

The boat is insured and the surveyor/adjuster has been assigned and hopefully will be here soon. We have been told that even if the fishing vessel is at fault we will not receive anymore than the insured amount we have on the boat. After the deductable of $5K, $120K does not not go far with this amount of damage.

Grace is our home. I love this boat and want to do as much as I can to restore her. Waking up every morning is soo difficult. We are still on the boat at a very helpful marina. I am feeling overwhelmed and sad.

Any suggestion and perspectives are welcome.

Thanks much,
Linda
If the FISHING VESSEL was at fault it should be THEIR insurance that pays ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:11   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If the FISHING VESSEL was at fault it should be THEIR insurance that pays ...

It is a new thing.

Subrogation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30-09-2011, 13:27   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Calling All Members . . . Please Help !

if you are handy and able to do much of the work, will be a lot less than if you have yards do ALL the work.
just sayin....
good luck with it ..... smooth sailing.
seems in a maritime collision, both parties are eat fault--- why wasnt collision avoided, and all that....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 13:30   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'

Most admiralty courts apportion fault with a collision at sea and usually, no one party is found 100% at fault, even if they are.
Old 30-09-2011, 14:31   #10

Boat: Pearson 281

Justdoit...
I wish I could lend a hand! A freakin' shame. Happy nobody got hurt and it sounds like it's fixable. Best of luck to you and I'm guessing we all look forward to hearing about your progress putting everything back together. Getting out the other side of this and the re-christening is something to look forward to!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 14:41   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
We have been told that even if the fishing vessel is at fault we will not receive anymore than the insured amount we have on the boat.
That is correct. The insured amount is the total that you can collect from another's insurance for repairs; or from your own insurance for that matter.

If your boat is insured for $120k, then that is assumed to be what she can be replaced for. You wouldn't spend $30,000 to fix a car that was only worth $20,000 would you?

Futhermore, in collisions at sea, it is very rare that a finding of total fault is made on either party. You say you were in fog, so neither vessel had any "right of way" under the rules until they were in visual contact; often that is too late to avoid a collision. You also say that the you boat is damaged on her port side.... once a vessel on your port side came into view, you would generally be the 'give way' vessel. What part of the fishing vessel came in contact with your vessel's port bow?

Questions that will be asked: where you sounding a fog signal? What kind of fog signaling apparatus do you have? On what range was your radar tuned to when the collision occurred? How often do you change from close range and back to long range scanning on your radar? Did you ever make radar contact with the fishing vessel? If not, how do you account for not picking up a 55' steel vessel on radar? When was the last time your radar was serviced and adjusted by a qualified technician? Did you post a lookout on the bow to watch and listen for other vessels?

I'm not saying it's your fault, but if you're looking to point blame in one direction, be prepared to have your own behavior challenged as well.

Best of luck with the repairs.
Old 30-09-2011, 14:44   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

add to the above-- did you have radar and was it in use.

is a sad thing to become involved in a collision. most collisions are avoidable. when i was driving cars and during my sailing training i kept hearing that all collisions are avoidable and one must take evasive action in within a realistic length of time before colliding with something so as not to collide. is difficult in fog--i saw the tanker looming over us in a dark and foggy river just seconds before we were to be munched but was enough time to move just enough to avoid the hit.
it does not matter who was in the right and who was in the wrong, as neither party is in the right once there is a hit.

i remain waay far --as far as i can--- from fishing and shrimping boats. is our business to avoid em. good luck and i hope all becomes well soon.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 15:11   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
. After the deductable of $5K, $120K does not not go far with this amount of damage.
But it will buy another 1974 Gulfstar
1974 Gulfstar 53 Motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
and I bet you could shave a bit off the price

Would it be worth moving your bits onto this one?
Old 30-09-2011, 15:16   #14

Take this advise before all other advise: Get an Attorney with extensive marine law experience!
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 17:38   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
Take this advise before all other advise: Get an Attorney with extensive marine law experience!

I absolutely agree unless there's a sailboat contribution to this accident we don't know about.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote