Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2019, 21:04   #16

Boat: Columbia 50
Re: Can I get a recommendation on a good bilge pump

Get this switch, they are fantastic:

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...6132&id=744053

They run 15 secs after the float drops, so suck up more of your water, and have an alarm that sounds if they run for more than two minutes, letting you know you have a problem

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 06:04   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

7 Main Types of Level Sensing Methods – How do they differ?
Optical, Vibrating or tuning fork, Ultrasonic, Float, Capacitance, Radar, & Conductivity or resistance
https://www.sstsensing.com/7-main-ty...level-sensors/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 06:56   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

some other things to consider.....
My Roberts and Landfall both had deep keel voids, both being displacement type hulls.
On both those boats, the bilge pump and float switch was attached to an L-shaped aluminum bracket I fabricated which was then lowered into the keel void. The bottom of the L bracket had the float switches on, which were contained inside a protective cage.
Like others on this board, from time to time, I would use a wet/dry shop vac to suck up whatever resided on the bottom that the bilge pumps would not pick up.
I would be constantly surprised at the amount of goop that dwells in those voids..spilled milk...spilled beer...etc...oil, off course..
You can modify this setup to suit.
The bilge on a Beneteau is laugable. The Beneteau, is a typical French style planing hull....very flat bottom
The hull is only about 6" below the cabin sole.
The keel is bolted on, but the keel has a shoebox sized void, maybe half a shoebox size, which is glassed over.
There is no room in there for a bilge pump of any size, thus the only thing you can fit in there are some 1" diameter hoses with a strum box, in addition to the manual pump ( operated from a cockpit locker) which was about 1.5"diameter. The three hoses in there pretty much fills that " bilge" up.
The " bilge" pumps are located under a dinette seat, there are two of them, the boat comes standard with some woefully inadequate small sized pumps which I replaced.
The float switch resides on the hull, next to the bilge cavity, where it is attached with some 5200....I don't know how Beneteau had this attached originally, as I found the float switch laying on it's side, where it was inoperable.
By the time, the float switch kicks on, you will have quite some water inside the boat...especially so if the boat is heeled over, as all the water will rush to the low side of the hull...ask me, I know. You could have several 100 gallons of water in there, before being aware of any situation.
Additionally, inspecting this " bilge", required moving the centerline seating.
It's a totally crappy situation, but it's a fast sailing boat.
If ever a boat needed a bilge alarm.....this one did !!
On top of all my other thoughts, here is one more....every time while on a passage, I or one of my crew went below, we would take a quick look at the bilge to ensure all was well.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 18:38   #19

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I thought I'd try one of these in each bilge. At $A17.52 ea. I thought they'd be worth a try.

12V DC 3.5L/Min Pressure Diaphragm Water Pump Fish Pond Caravan Marine Camper

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 23:22   #20

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y

jmschmidt, "Use separate solid-state water level sensors..." Could you link to what you're using? Thanks!
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, men, pump