Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 08:44   #16

Re: Can I make my own copper coating?

Seems as tho adding cuperous oxide to an ablative bottom paint might be an option.

Thoughts?

glc
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:50   #17
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcalahan View Post
Seems as tho adding cuperous oxide to an ablative bottom paint might be an option.

Thoughts?
If improving an anti fouling paint's effectiveness was as simple as dumping some copper powder into it, don't you think the chandlerly shelves would be crammed with really expensive cans of it? Why would any paint manufacturer not take advantage of this revenue stream?

I'll tell you why- because it doesn't work and there is not one shred of evidence to the contrary. It's a wive's tale.
fstbttms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 09:02   #18

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I thought Coppercoat was a copper nickel alloy? And was told that it is not waterproof so if the antifouling doesnt work for you it isnt a barrier coat.
I’m 6 years into my second application so am having to patch with regular antifoul in places. Last lot lasted 12 years, with patching.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 09:04   #19

I also thought putting copper into paint was illegal now?
Old 20-06-2020, 09:05   #20

Copper is certainly an effective antifoul. You have heard of something being copper bottomed? A sure thing?
Old 20-06-2020, 09:15   #21

Boat: O'Day 40

I think the Sailing Uma couple did their own copper bottom mix. Check their you-tube videos for results.

These guys: https://coppercoat.brucebalan.com/ are using Coppercoat and have a very good write up on the ins and out.
Old 20-06-2020, 10:07   #22

Boat: Self, multuhull, 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye2 View Post
Can I mix up my own copper coating? One part epoxy resin- 2 parts copper powder?
One coat?
Yes, I can do mine and I'm already in the second painting, the first one lasted 9 years and this one is already 4 years old. Like all other epoxy and metallic copper paints, it is necessary to revitalize it annually by sanding 320 (sorry Google translation)
Cracassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 10:35   #23

Boat: Atlantic 43

The idea is to get an absolute maximum amount of copper in a minimum amount of resin. And the mix should still be workable with a roller. Most failed experiments had way too much resin, so the result is a good layer of resin with the occasional copper particle. That would not be effective as antifouling, even if it looks copperish.
So lets wait for the recipe from "Grit".....
Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:45   #24

Boat: Self, multuhull, 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If improving an anti fouling paint's effectiveness was as simple as dumping some copper powder into it, don't you think the chandlerly shelves would be crammed with really expensive cans of it? Why would any paint manufacturer not take advantage of this revenue stream?

I'll tell you why- because it doesn't work and there is not one shred of evidence to the contrary. It's a wive's tale.
Here in Brazil, background paint applicators are staunch critics of metallic copper paints, simply because their annual services would get smaller, as do traditional background paint manufacturers, they would sell less. It didn't exist Cooper Coat in Brazil when I did my first in 2007. (sorry for the Google translation).
Cracassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 12:50   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Ive heard adding cayenne pepper as well as copper works.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 13:10   #26

Why all the snarky comments?

The poster asked a legitimate question.

Progressive Polymers sells both the epoxy and the copper powder. They don't claim that it is the same as Coppercoat but there it is if you want to use it.

Followers of Sailing Uma YouTube channel will note that this young couple did just that ... home brew copper bottom, and in a later video, after some modifications, did a new bottom coat. I didn't pay attention to which product they used, but it is black and they seem happy with it.

If one example can tell a story, their homebrew copper bottom did not perform as expected.

"Where is Brickhouse" YouTube channel put the real Coppercoat on their boat and then did a dive comparison six months later. Patrick's bottom job was performing well and he enjoyed pointing out the differences in growth between his ship and a neighbor who used a standard bottom paint at the same time.

I should mention that Patrick Childress recently passed from Covid19. He was a very gracious and informative YouTuber. My thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Rebecca who is still in South Africa with their boat.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 13:49   #27
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Ive heard adding cayenne pepper as well as copper works.

That has been as debunked as the the flat earth theory.

The goal of making copper go farther is valid, but just how to accomplish that with slow boats provides steady work for paint chemists.

Based on Washington's delay of their copper ban, I wonder if the future is not bans but rather limitations on leaching rates. My gut tells me progress will continue. Perhaps 1-year paints will be come as obsolete as buggy whips.
Old 20-06-2020, 14:08   #28

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I recall as a young person seeing a 100ft gaff schooner named Cariad being prepared in the dry dock in Durban (South Africa) for the then Cape to Rio race. She was completely skinned in a sheet of solid copper, nailed to the wooden hull with copper nails. IIRC the copper sheet lasted for several decades.

I’ve often wondered how long such a process would last using thin copper sheeting the way they “wrap” cars and boats with vinyl these days. Given the generally smooth surfaces and curves of a sailing boat, that can’t be too hard. And if it lasts a decade or more, maybe quite cost effective too.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 14:35   #29

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

For people who know nothing at all about a topic (For example: Paint formulation and chemistry) it is really easy to think you know eveything about it. For example, "Just dump in more copper (or cayanne pepper, or magic pixie dust)."

This effect even has a name: The Dunning/Kruger Effect"
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 15:23   #30

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I tried it in 2016,
It peeled off the propeller in a week.
I used the finest recommended copper powder.
The keel is cast iron. I sanded and wire brushed it 'till it was shiny and treated it with sulphonic acid. All seemed well for a month and then it started to bubble off. When I went back on the slip the whole side if the keel peeled off in one sheet. Hours of sanding on the hull.
Sure. Try it yourself. I thought I was smart enough.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote