Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2020, 12:41   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Can someone identify where this mysterious water is coming from? (Photo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad_n_Seattle View Post
Hi Chotu - I agree about the lack of epoxy lining of the thru hull and that is something I'm going to fix for sure. I say its unrelated as the boat hasn't been in the water yet since I replaced the transducer so the balsa or ply core at the transducer install area hasn't even had a chance to get wet yet. Swapping out the transducer to the centerline and fixing the hull is another item added to my laundry list.

Mitiempo - This is a possibility and if this is the case, and all that waster is just water that's been collecting between the liner and the hull, that would be the best case scenario. Although why wouldn't Bene design the liner and hull so that any water that collects has a way to drain out the bilge?? I wish I could get an answer from Beneteau on that one...
Whew!!! Glad to hear this!!
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 12:47   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:

Mitiempo - This is a possibility and if this is the case, and all that water is just water that's been collecting between the liner and the hull, that would be the best case scenario. Although why wouldn't Bene design the liner and hull so that any water that collects has a way to drain out the bilge?? I wish I could get an answer from Beneteau on that one...
I know from experience that it is near impossible to remove all the water from between the liner and hull of a Beneteau.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 13:46   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I drilled from the outside. This is when I noticed, as I was sanding the newly drilled hole that yes, there was GRP for about half an inch, then a thick layer of balsa or ply.
What you describe here is NOT a cored hull, but a solid hull with a timber packing piece inside the hull. If it were a cored hull, there would have been a second substantial layer of glass on the inside.

I think that you can stop worrying about a saturated core.

Jim
Old 04-10-2020, 13:46   #34

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. To answer some raised questions:

1. I did not seal off the new triducer hole with epoxy, just a ton of 3M 4200. Neither was the old speed sensor sealed off as well. Fortunately it did not leak. If I remove the new triducer and reinstall it in the centerline thru hull where the old transducer is, I will make sure the cored hole is epoxied off. I'll have to figure out how to "plug" the 2" hole where I installed the current triducer. Again, this is a completely unrelated problem.

2. I have not deteremined whether the leaking water is salt or fresh. When I go back today and its still leaking, i will taste a little to see and also try to catch it in a cup. Doesn't help that it rained last night!

3. Biggest unknown right now is not having a definitive answer as to if my boat has a cored hull using balsa. Spec data online seems to indicate the hull is not cored but, I (nor anyone else) has found 100% verified data yet. If its water trapped between the inner fiberglass liner and the outer hull, this could be nothing and I don't want to drill holes or start removing transducers if I can help it.

4. Good point about the possibility it is cooling water trapped in the hose that is coming back down, but given the volume of water that I saw streamed out yest. I'm skeptical. If I can find a way to verify this, it would be helpful.

5. Screw is 3/4 inch long and pretty thin, so should not be long enough to be a significant source of water intrusion. If I re-screw the screw in just a little bit, the water flow stopped. I originally assumed the water would flow for a minute or two and stop, assuming it was again, water trapped in the inlet hose.

6. I've inspected all through-hulls from inside the boat, I would've thought that if any of them went through rotted balsa, it would compromise the rigidity of the connection. I've tested all through hulls for movement and flex (they are SS on bronze fittings), and they won't budge.

7. I think my plan today is to remove the water inlet valve and strainer (one piece) and go from there. Seems to be less drastic than drilling a hole into the hull from inside near the engine to check the core.

8. I really wish I could get a hold of someone from Beneteau. It looks like the best I can do is email/call US-based Beneteau dealers to see if any will respond. If anyone can find definitive info on hull construction for this boat (92 Bene First 265), please share!

Thanks again.
Seriously doubt that the hull is balsa cored, here's another listing describing it as not;

First 265's main features

Construction
GRP (glass reinforced polyester):
- Hull: Single skin fiberglass polyester
- Deck: Sandwich balsa fiberglass polyester

https://www.boat-specs.com/sailing/s...265-deep-draft

and even if it somehow is, I don't think that the water is coming from core infiltration.

In most cases, a compromised core acts like a sponge; the water contained in the core is held in until the core rots almost entirely away, and if the resulting 'reservoir' was tapped, the water wouldn't come out clear.

Much more likely that rainwater has been trapped between the liner and the hull.

Doesn't seem like you've been able to inspect the inner surface of the hull where the through-hull is located. If not, rectifying that situation would be my first order of business, followed immediately by cutting limber holes to allow water to drain to the bilge.

Unfortunately, sometimes this is so difficult as to seem (or rarely, be) impossible...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 15:48   #35

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

I'm not an export with your problem, but have seen this kind of issue dealt with by drilling about a 1/4" hole, inserting a fitting that a VACUME pump is attached to, after tapping out the area, and drilling some 1/8" holes in the area with issues, Acetone is injected into the 1/8" holes while under vacume, removing moisture, epoxy is injected into the 1/" holes after vacuming is completed, the vacuming can take a day or more depending.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 19:20   #36

Boat: Pearson 34

Before you go drilling holes, is there any water in the bilge that might be migrating to this screw hole?
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 19:24   #37

So today I removed the water intake seacock and bronze strainer (all one piece). The good news? It's all GRP, dry, no core.

Now the bad news - After removing the grill and wire-brushing away the adhesive/sealant to get a better view of the area, I've discovered some sort of wierd translucent "cavity" where the screw hole is, and where *saltwater* is still somewhat dripping from. I'll post pics below - if anyone has seen this before and knows what's going on in the GRP hull, let me know.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uza5Am4Won3EBvGD7This is right after I cut away the thru hull. The brown stuff is really tough adhesive. I had to wire-brush this away....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J1AtXotmKcS2WGnA7Area cleaned up. The hole was made through solid GRP, and it felt dry. Just that wierd translucent cavity right behind it is a mystery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYYSDCZ2q8kDxyMs5Photo of inside, nothing unusual where that "inner cavity" appears to be.

Do I drill out that cavity and fill it with epoxy??
dad_n_Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 23:58   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Your core.

Looks like someone screwed that straight into the hull.

This is a disaster if I’m right and it’s a balsa cored boat.

I’m really, really sorry to see this.

I know of no reputable builders who built cruising hulls with balso-cored bottoms, though many out and out racers did this.

I think there may have been some water ingress between layers of GRP, not usually a disaster, unless the gel-coat starts bubbling.
Much has to do with whether the boat is in salt or fresh water - but having made sure the bilge is empty it would be worth having someone, with a moisture meter (and knows how to use it) to check for levels of water retention in the layup.
Check if fresh or salt water, if the former it's probably a leak from bilge through internal fixings. If the latter you may have an expensive problem.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:18   #39

I certainly would not want a boat with balsa core below the waterline...
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:26   #40

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
So today I removed the water intake seacock and bronze strainer (all one piece). The good news? It's all GRP, dry, no core.

Now the bad news - After removing the grill and wire-brushing away the adhesive/sealant to get a better view of the area, I've discovered some sort of wierd translucent "cavity" where the screw hole is, and where *saltwater* is still somewhat dripping from. I'll post pics below - if anyone has seen this before and knows what's going on in the GRP hull, let me know.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Uza5Am4Won3EBvGD7This is right after I cut away the thru hull. The brown stuff is really tough adhesive. I had to wire-brush this away....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J1AtXotmKcS2WGnA7Area cleaned up. The hole was made through solid GRP, and it felt dry. Just that wierd translucent cavity right behind it is a mystery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYYSDCZ2q8kDxyMs5Photo of inside, nothing unusual where that "inner cavity" appears to be.

Do I drill out that cavity and fill it with epoxy??
Is it a cavity or a hole that somebody filled with epoxy?
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:25   #41

Boat: Sabre 34

Could that “cavity” be the space between the hull and the liner? Do thruhulls on a Beneteau go through the liner or installed on “naked” glass?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:01   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
I know of no reputable builders who built cruising hulls with balso-cored bottoms, though many out and out racers did this.
Pearson built cruising boats with balsa core from the waterline down. I peeled the gelcoat on mine that was blistering (very shallow and superficial blisters) and the balsa core was clearly visible. Also dry as a bone. Every through hull had a large area without the core that was solid glass so no chance of intrusion.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:06   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Is it a cavity or a hole that somebody filled with epoxy?
That's a good guess, but if you look from inside the boat, you wouldn't even know anything was there. From the outside, its like looking at a frozen lake, but the hull is only like an inch thick. Also its strange that its exactly in the space where the water inlet used to be.

Anyway, hopefully I can get a pro fiberglass/gelcoat repair guy to take a look today just in case.

Here's what I'm referring to:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wsj5mzhV1FXnumR4A
dad_n_Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:25   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post

I think there may have been some water ingress between layers of GRP, not usually a disaster, unless the gel-coat starts bubbling.
Much has to do with whether the boat is in salt or fresh water - but having made sure the bilge is empty it would be worth having someone, with a moisture meter (and knows how to use it) to check for levels of water retention in the layup.
Check if fresh or salt water, if the former it's probably a leak from bilge through internal fixings. If the latter you may have an expensive problem.
Plenty were actually, C&C for one, later Sabre's also. Although we could debate if those are "cruising" boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:29   #45

For a 26 ft boat, based on that photo, that would be an awful thick hull for a Beneteau 26 footer. Are you sure that is not cored?
The other photo almost looks like they moved the thru hull location and just plugged it with glass and resin.... thus semi transparent...?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photo, water