Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2017, 08:57   #76

Boat: Moana 33
Re: Can someone talk me off the ledge?

A horrible thought just occurred to me as I lay awake this morning - every toerail needs scuppers (to let the water drain away). Something made me think you may have altered from a short midships section of rail to a full-length section and the latter would likely hold a lot of water on deck without scuppers. (Even a small amount of water retained behind timber would create problems.)

So, just in case this issue arises in your case, they would have to be cut after steaming and bending (to prevent breakage at this stress-raiser) but before fixing to the deck. Alternative is to leave gaps between sections at strategic low-points. With luck you've already planned for this and I can go back to sleep.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 08:51   #77

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

Sorry for the belated reply. And I hope you haven't stayed awake waiting on it.

One of the things I like about the Skimmer 25 is actually having cleats mid ship (see pic), there have been numerous occasions, (usually in a particular marina) where they would come in handy, but I rarely see them on boats in this size range. Anyway, the "gap" in the rails where they are located is also where the low point on deck is, so water flows to the opening.

Initially not having even thought about the bend I would need in the aft coamings/toerails, and only on the lateral bend needed, I realized the vertical bend along the sheer was important when I started having issues. This weekend I rigged the below system to hopefully achieve that. The bucket on the rope has two of the lead ballast bars in it like the one laying in front. Over two days time the bucket has gotten closer to the floor, though I realize some/all is from the rope stretching(hope not). Not hanging exactly level, part of the bucket bottom is ever so slightly starting to touch the floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the floor when I get home from work today.

The other picture is my template of using the old faux wood to hopefully put some bend memory in the longer rails. I'm probably wasting time and water, but I've been hosing them down with a good dousing every few hours.

I spent my time this weekend doing tasks that had to be done but one's I wasn't as likely to screw up. I needed some "victories" and to get back on track with a sense of momentum toward getting her in the water! You will recall the weekend before was "ledge weekend" for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skimmer from house back deck.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	154957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft rail vertical bend attempt.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	425.7 KB
ID:	154958  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Main starboard rail horizontal bending.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	154959  
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 12:08   #78

Boat: Moana 33

She sure is pretty - no way I can tell if those rails are teak or plastic. So one look at photo should be enough to bring you back from the ledge.

Those timbers look very high in the other photos (yet not in first picture???). Personally I don't see the need for half that height, so maybe it's a traditional thing - old boatbuilders demonstrating their prowess maybe?
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 12:23   #79

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner

It must just be the different camera angles because the teak ones are same 2.5 inches high(6.35 CM)

Somewhere in all the communication last week I forgot about cutting something about 1/2 that and seeing what those proportions look like.
Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 18:55   #80

Boat: Scout 30

I'd keep the coamings high if you can. The benefit of the high coamings is they keep your foot from slipping off the boat. Sharpies are pretty tender initially. For expert advice on working with teak you might try the woodenboat forum. Some very helpful knowledgeable people over there. Personally I don't think you'll be able to do this without steaming.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 07:01   #81

Tatheel and all:

You may find some food for thought here:

https://seabrooksailing.wordpress.co...-bending-teak/

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 09:48   #82

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I understand your issue. I am the world's worst wood worker, though!

His problem, guys, is this: he's screwing a piece of wood down into something (forget it's a boat!!!) and wood he is trying to screw down keeps lifting off the surface he's screwing it into.
I'm sure someone else already said this, but your pilot hole in the teak is not large enough.
Old 29-08-2017, 19:19   #83

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

You need the advice of a boatwright. Find one and Take boat and trailer to him for advice.
This is not impossiable if you know what your doing . This is just the kind of problems solve all day ! Just take there advice.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote