Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2013, 07:18   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Can this hull be fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Not only thanks for posting about large poly repair but pointing out that gel is still a great top coat instead of the myth that 2 part epoxy paint is the only way to go.

Funny how manuafacturer/retail website lead ins and magazine writers have transformed a whole generation of boater's thinking.

They certainly are good at what they do. Never ceases to amaze me how people will look at info from totally biased sources and swear it must be true because it was printed in black and white by a corporation of some sort. Like the links on epoxy on this thread-from the epoxies manufacterer. Fine if they want to educate on the use of their product, but when they start comparing it to everything else like that it should perhaps be taken with a grain of salt.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:22   #47

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
They certainly are good at what they do. Never ceases to amaze me how people will look at info from totally biased sources and swear it must be true because it was printed in black and white by a corporation of some sort. Like the links on epoxy on this thread-from the epoxies manufacterer. Fine if they want to educate on the use of their product, but when they start comparing it to everything else like that it should perhaps be taken with a grain of salt.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:30   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

i don't think anyone here was saying "ONLY epoxy. Certainly I wasn't. But it does have it's uses.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 07:41   #49

"Epoxy is a cross-link adhesive and also states is BETTER for repair. Why wouldn't some one want a better repair of do I need to brush up on my Psychology."

guess I just took this statement of yours a little too literally....
Old 14-07-2013, 07:51   #50

Quote:
"Epoxy is a cross-link adhesive and also states is BETTER for repair. Why wouldn't some one want a better repair of do I need to brush up on my Psychology."

guess I just took this statement of yours a little too literally....
Probably...but that's ok. I still didn't see the word "ONLY" Don't worry...be happy
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-07-2013, 08:08   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
If you think about it...the epoxy is between the ply's after its cured I finish cut the shape, route the edges, lam with layers of glass/poly over. The only place the poly touches the epoxy is the routed edges.
Thats nice ,looks like a section of an airfoil for a spruce wood aircraft,I can do that,now I am inspired...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:21   #52

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Tropics! When you construct this airfoil, make a second one then determine how much weight it will take until it breaks (roughly lbs/sq inch); a form of diluted structural analysis engineering. The more "ribs" in it, the harder to crush; a wonderful exercise to perform, if you'd like to tinker. Share with us your results!

Mauritz
Old 14-07-2013, 08:27   #53

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

Our boats are construct from pots of goo. It stands to reason that more goo is the answer to almost any problem when it comes to a plastic boat. Now how you apply the goo,(good epoxy, west) and relatively expensive carbon fiber and directional s glass and someone who can asses loads, moments, levers and such. Get and engineer, get a glass guy, 5 gallons of goo, 50 ft of carbon, and twice/trice that in 9 oz uni. Redesign the interface between hull and keel, look too abrupt to me. And have at it. Lots of demo. Just my thoughts. Could only be cost effective if you do it yourself with contract brains and brawn.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 08:43   #54

Hiya Krogen! ++

Boat/aircraft engineering design involves an extensive knowledge/applications of Statics, Dynamics, Structural Analysis and Circuits Analysis. When boat shopping, use the designers' calculations obtained to compare one boat against another, everything else being equal. (Mostly gEEks and nerds do that.)

Mauritz
Old 14-07-2013, 08:47   #55

Funny thing is...all this talk about engineering, stresses that can cause repairs to pop out and such, I find pretty amusing when you consider that there are many boats out there built over 50 years ago, that have done just fine. They have been through a line up of different owners, each doing their own repairs. Some good...some not so good. Some how they are still floating looking for yet another new owner. Life goes on.
Old 14-07-2013, 09:27   #56

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Lots of composite work done in the high desert. The temp falls every night there. If you used that kind of thinking you would never get anything done. Keep your resin warm and it kicks off just fine. If you have a big project build a plywood box for the ratio pump that holds a gallon of resin with a regular old light bulb inside to keep it all warm and you are good to go.
So you kept the temperature from decreasing didn't you?
Old 14-07-2013, 09:49   #57

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Funny thing is...all this talk about engineering, stresses that can cause repairs to pop out and such, I find pretty amusing when you consider that there are many boats out there built over 50 years ago, that have done just fine. They have been through a line up of different owners, each doing their own repairs. Some good...some not so good. Some how they are still floating looking for yet another new owner. Life goes on.
Seems that the advances in boat engineering are less about making a sturdy boat and more about finding the limitations of the materials so they can get the job done with fewer expenses. Our boat is 40 years old, the hull is over an inch thick in some (most) places. Unnecessary? Probably, but I sure do like it.
Old 14-07-2013, 10:53   #58

Unfortunately there are lot's of boats that sink (I'm in the salvage business) because of poorly done epoxy and polyester repairs. Some because they needed to be engineered and they weren't, some because they weren't careful enough to make sure the bond was good enough (either contaminated or not roughed up enough, et..etc), some because someone didn't follow the instructions because the last 100 times they did a similar repair...it worked just fine....
Old 14-07-2013, 10:57   #59

Hiya PS! Well said! ++

Mauritz
Old 14-07-2013, 11:03   #60

Quote:
Unfortunately there are lot's of boats that sink (I'm in the salvage business) because of poorly done epoxy and polyester repairs. Some because they needed to be engineered and they weren't, some because they weren't careful enough to make sure the bond was good enough (either contaminated or not roughed up enough, et..etc), some because someone didn't follow the instructions because the last 100 times they did a similar repair...it worked just fine....
Yeah, I have seen both epoxy and poly you could just peel apart the layers....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull