Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 11:44   #1

Candy stripe on the rigging

Hi Everyone,

I just had a survey done with a boat with 20 year old rigging. The survey discovered candy striping on the rigging. This is where you can see rings going up the cable which weakens it.

How big of an issue is this?

How long does rigging generally last?

Thanks!
gorilliamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 11:54   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Candy stripe on the rigging

I would say that some of the wires in your shrouds/stay are starting to brake loose or have stretched out. It's time for replacements!
Old 20-03-2011, 11:58   #3

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby

My boat is 17 years old and I have owned it for 10 of those. I don't know what replacements previous owners did but I have had to replace one or two shrouds every couple of years.

I don't know if that is the norm, but it gives a feel for how long rigging may last.

It also seems logical that how hard the boat is used has an effect as well. Our boat has crossed the Atlantic at least 3 times.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 12:16   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Nothing improves your focus more than when you see strands of cable leaving a swage during a blow! It is a fine idea to have a qualified rigger go over your boat thoroughly before heading out on anything more than a bay cruise. Should also be included in any survey prior to purchase. The surveyor may not have the experience to give a qualified answer on the health of the rigging. Riggers have little tricks they use to sniff out problem areas and are well worth the small added expense for peace of mind IMHO. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 12:19   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilliamos View Post
How long does rigging generally last? Thanks!
That's one of the problems with wire rigging, it could last a few more years or fail next week . We have just replaced ours at 10 years. However, it did have that nice pretty white plastic stuff all over it. What you don't see though is the muck that gets trapped inside which then attracts water so the wire is constantly damp. I wasn't prepared to risk the mast coming down mid English Channel at night in a gale so $2000 later it's all replaced. Also took the opportunity to replace the halyards most of which were original 22 years old rope to wire with new dyneema. Similar stretch characteristics but no join.

I would suggest if yours is 20 years old it's time to replace soon. If you haven't bought the boat yet then reduce your offer to the value of new rigging, I wouldn't buy a boat with 20 year old rigging without factoring its replacement. Ideally you pay less and then have the rigging replaced straight away, so that you are paying to have the job done properly, not a quick lash up to sell the boat.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 12:35   #6

Thank you everyone for your expert advice and might I say you have a nice online community here!
gorilliamos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging