Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2021, 05:57   #1

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat
Smile Canvas - Bahamas, Caribbean

We will close on our purchase of 49 Bavaria 11/10 in Virginia. It has a huge bimini but solid, cannot see mast/sails. Want opening/view in it. Canvas people in Virginia booked thru February. Plan to sail down to Florida early December, cross Gulf and work our way down. Any place along the way to get canvas work done.

Cheryl and Bob
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Re: Canvas - Bahamas, Caribbean

There are many canvas shops in the Fort Lauderdale area. But, after paying slip/dock fees while waiting for the work to be done, it may be more economical to purchase a sewing machine and doing the work yourself. What you describe does not seem very complex nor difficult to do.

Personally, we use Marine Canvas America in Pompano Beach. They do quality work and are a good value for the $$.

Good luck.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 15:56   #3

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Two thoughts. 1) We have had very good quality canvas work done in Deltaville by Sailors Tailor. Suspect they are booked into the future. Not so good work done in Florida. Be ware!
2) We do not have a window in our Bimini either. But have found that for cruising unnecessary. If you have a wind instrument, you can sail efficiently by observing apparent wind angle. OK, can’t see tell tales on main, but we retired from racing!
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 16:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr180 View Post
Two thoughts. 1) We have had very good quality canvas work done in Deltaville by Sailors Tailor. Suspect they are booked into the future. Not so good work done in Florida. Be ware!
2) We do not have a window in our Bimini either. But have found that for cruising unnecessary. If you have a wind instrument, you can sail efficiently by observing apparent wind angle. OK, can’t see tell tales on main, but we retired from racing!
I used to work for The Ships Tailor in Deltaville. If all you want is a window installed in the bimini, you can mark the size/location and take the bimini into the shop. Unless something has changed since I left - this sort of work is considered a standard repair/installation and will normally only take a couple of days or even quicker if you explain your timeframe. Call ahead to confirm with them.

Personally, I have had these windows in my own biminis in the past, and don't recommend them. It does not take long for the clear vinyl to become cloudy from direct UV, and also for the seams around it to start leaking when it rains. Regardless, these windows do seem to remain popular.

Cheers, Katherine
Painted Skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 16:45   #5

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Skies View Post
I used to work for The Ships Tailor in Deltaville. If all you want is a window installed in the bimini, you can mark the size/location and take the bimini into the shop. Unless something has changed since I left - this sort of work is considered a standard repair/installation and will normally only take a couple of days or even quicker if you explain your timeframe. Call ahead to confirm with them.

Personally, I have had these windows in my own biminis in the past, and don't recommend them. It does not take long for the clear vinyl to become cloudy from direct UV, and also for the seams around it to start leaking when it rains. Regardless, these windows do seem to remain popular.

Cheers, Katherine
Yes, thank you, Ships Tailor, not Sailors Tailor. You guys were the best.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 17:57   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, In Training,

Here's a link in which you may be interested: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...le-257555.html

Ann
Old 04-11-2021, 09:03   #7

Boat: Morgan, 323, 32'

Any qualified canvas shop could easily install an isinglass "window" on the desired location of your canvas bimini top. Just make sure that it has a matching canvas cover to protect the isinglass from UV exposure while not in use. I have a bimini top made this way and it has worked great for several years. Good luck.
Rhapsody32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:42   #8

I had a successful marine canvas shop in Florida. Couple of issues: most of my customers were on the move, so I did not have many live examples, photos are nice but most don't show detail work. But word of mouth on the docks got me most of the business and I would receive notes from around the world from people were delighted with my work and designs many months later. Big problem now is finding willing workers to learn the trade. If you talk with a person and they show interest in solving YOUR problem, not selling his version of canvas, that's a good indication your on the proper track. You want a problem solver, not a salesman!
I would agree not to place a window on the Bimini. Even if you place a cover over the clear plastic, chances are the cover will not last long, you forget to cover the plastic, you lose it, the velcro deteriorates, etc. You are not racing, you are cruising, duck you head from under the shady bimini and smell the salt air! Have a great adventure
Ranger2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:44   #9

The one window I had in a Bimini wasn't all that I hoped. Depending on sail settings , point of sail, where you stand or sit... I found it less than useful. You might consider just peeking from in front of the Bimini edge instead. If you have an auto pilot you are likely to be sitting there not behind the helm anyway.
Just something to think about.
There are places in St Martin and Antigua too down island.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:38   #10

Boat: Nauticat 33

Y’all do you, but I always suggest folks just cruise for a bit on their new boat before they go and make a bunch of changes. It’s always surprising what actually turns out to be a necessity and what is garbage.
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
Y’all do you, but I always suggest folks just cruise for a bit on their new boat before they go and make a bunch of changes. It’s always surprising what actually turns out to be a necessity and what is garbage.
This is very true. Give it some time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, canvas, Caribbean, rib