Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2023, 15:58   #1

Canvas Sewing Project

I have a button snap on canvas for a 94 Robalo 2160 CC with clear plastic vinyl machine sewn into the canvas material. The canvas is multi section attached and detached by heavy plastic zipper seams.

Some of the clear vinyl was damaged. My goal is to seam rip the threads holding the vinyl in, replace it, and rehang the canvas canopy when the rest of the boat is restored.

The only part of this project that I am unsure of is which thread to use to sew the replacement vinyl in with. I have heard V69 and V92 before but the lifespan on these threads is very short, only 2-3 years in a tropical environment. I'm looking for a much more durable thread to use on this project that can resist the environment, salt water exposure and has a longer lifespan.

Any thoughts on this?
LHOAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 16:17   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Canvas Sewing Project

Don’t cut the old vinyl out until after the new stuff is in. Make a small cut in the old vinyl (if there isn’t a tear) cut your new vinyl a little larger than the old stuff, use basting tape to secure the new stuff, sew it in place, cut out the old stuff then trim the new stuff on the stitched side. If you cut the old stuff out first the chances of it fitting properly and not being racked are very low. You can really usually only replace this once due to age if the cloth and the holes that have been sewn in it. I’d just use 69 bonded nylon thread but you could use tenara
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 16:52   #3

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

40+ year canvas pro here.

Use PTFE thread (best) or polyester (OK). PTFE is impervious to UV and most other things. Polyester has about a 3-5 year life. The life of nylon is quite short. Use the heaviers thread your machine can use.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 16:52   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

Tenara (PTFE) thread is said to last forever but it's really expensive. Check out sailrite.com, they sell all the canvas stuff at good prices and have excellent tutorials on everything.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 16:55   #5

Boat: Moody 376

R k has the process. Don’t remove the old wi Dow’s u til you get the new ones in place.

I’d go v92. The Tenara type threads would be ideal. But. Are difficult to sew.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2023, 18:01   #6

10-4. I appreciate the follow up y'all. When I get my supplies in, and work it, I'll post the pre/post photos.
LHOAGE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas, project