Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2024, 03:45   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Capacity of black water tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
MARPOL doesn't (directly) apply to yachts of less than 400 gross tonnes or 15 people on board...
Historically, the international shipping regulators [IMO, ILO] have avoided applying mandatory regulations, to recreational or private [pleasure] boating.
However, the conventions [eg: MARPOL] are often adopted, and transposed into National law[s]; and the laws of the vessels’ flag state generally apply to the vessel, and all individuals on board, regardless of the location [territorial or international waters] of the vessel.

IIRC, MARPOL applies to all vessels, commercial and pleasure; however, only yachts over 400 GT are directly required to be ‘certified’.
For the purpose of MARPOL, ‘ships’ are vessels, of any type, operating in the marine environment, including yachts.

The MARPOL Convention is comprised of six annexes covering marine and air pollution. Four of these annexes are applicable to yachts*, in private and commercial service:
Annex 1 deals with pollution by oil *
Annex 2 noxoious liquid substances in bulk
Annex 3 harmful substances carried by sea in packaged form
Annex 4 sewage from ships *
Annex 5 garbage from ships *
Annex 6 air pollution from ships [especially exhaust gases] *

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 04:26   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Historically, the international shipping regulators [IMO, ILO] have avoided applying mandatory regulations, to recreational or private [pleasure] boating.
However, the conventions [eg: MARPOL] are often adopted, and transposed into National law[s]; and the laws of the vessels’ flag state generally apply to the vessel, and all individuals on board, regardless of the location [territorial or international waters] of the vessel.

IIRC, MARPOL applies to all vessels, commercial and pleasure; however, only yachts over 400 GT are directly required to be ‘certified’.
For the purpose of MARPOL, ‘ships’ are vessels, of any type, operating in the marine environment, including yachts.

The MARPOL Convention is comprised of six annexes covering marine and air pollution. Four of these annexes are applicable to yachts*, in private and commercial service:

Not quite sure what you're saying here, but MARPOL Annex 4 specifically does not apply (not a question of certification) to vessels which are not certified to carry 15 people or more:
"Regulation 2 - Application

1 The provisions of this Annex shall apply to the following ships engaged in international voyages:
  • .1 new ships of 400 gross tonnage and above; and
  • .2 new ships of less than 400 gross tonnage which are certified to carry more than 15 persons; and
  • .3 existing ships of 400 gross tonnage and above, five years after the date of entry into force of this Annex; and
  • .4 existing ships of less than 400 gross tonnage which are certified to carry more than 15 persons, five years after the date of entry into force of this Annex."

Contracting states are free, of course, to implement other rules with regard to smaller vessels, or these rules, and sometimes they do. I've never heard of these specific rules being applied to smaller yachts, however.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 04:27   #63

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

In Australia the Marpol convention only applies to shipping and commercial craft such as fishing boats. Each State administers the law for recreational boats. (Which is similar to Marpol)

I was walking through the car park just yesterday to do some work on Helen when I saw a Government car with AMSA emblazoned on the door so I asked the driver what it stood for - Australian Maritime safety Authority. (We had quite a discussion about Marpol and it's jurisdiction)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 06:00   #64

Zero. Municipalities put out many hundreds of gallons per minute and more. This so called “treated “ effluence is by far the primary culprit of pollution. Studies have been done proving this. All of the anchored boats in the Caribbean that ALL pump directly into the water do not cause ecological to go up. That does happen at a very specific time,………..when it rains!!

I have a composting head aft and a standard head fwd. inland I exclusively uwe the composting. In flowing water use the forward head. Holding tanks are very bad for the environment. Many new production boats today are plumbed so that you HAVE to use the holding tank. Soooooo. It is pretty common that when you gotta dump, you dump. The whole darn tank! Mother Nature can not handle that! The one or two turds a day that is broken up when pumped out is no probem. Normal tidal flow easily handles that. But to be legal and do my make believe part, I use the composting inland. And finding a working pump out can be pretty difficult to a cruiser. And they often are not working.

This is society trying to blame boaters for their crap. And boaters don’t have giant lobbies to pay off the law makers. You thinks I’m kidding, just google sewar outfalls incident of failure and pollution. It’s either not treated or poorly treated quite often. But it’s my one turd that is causing the pollution. Right. Composting is my route until im out of the municipalities of the US.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 06:29   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Zero. Municipalities put out many hundreds of gallons per minute and more. This so called “treated “ effluence is by far the primary culprit of pollution. Studies have been done proving this. All of the anchored boats in the Caribbean that ALL pump directly into the water do not cause ecological to go up. That does happen at a very specific time,………..when it rains!!

I have a composting head aft and a standard head fwd. inland I exclusively uwe the composting. In flowing water use the forward head. Holding tanks are very bad for the environment. Many new production boats today are plumbed so that you HAVE to use the holding tank. Soooooo. It is pretty common that when you gotta dump, you dump. The whole darn tank! Mother Nature can not handle that! The one or two turds a day that is broken up when pumped out is no probem. Normal tidal flow easily handles that. But to be legal and do my make believe part, I use the composting inland. And finding a working pump out can be pretty difficult to a cruiser. And they often are not working.

This is society trying to blame boaters for their crap. And boaters don’t have giant lobbies to pay off the law makers. You thinks I’m kidding, just google sewar outfalls incident of failure and pollution. It’s either not treated or poorly treated quite often. But it’s my one turd that is causing the pollution. Right. Composting is my route until im out of the municipalities of the US.

It's definitely worse for the marine environment to concentrate waste in a holding tank and then dump it all at once.

Sensible regulation would recognize how much less harmful it is to release it a little at a time, especially if it's macerated.

In Norway, the rule is you shouldn't discharge closer than 300 meters from shore -- very sensible. Rules requiring small boats to discharge more than 12 miles from shore are counterproductive.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-05-2024, 06:48   #66

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

On a boat plumbed to feed all waste into the tank you can always dump the tank daily instead of waiting until it's full to reduce the quantity of waste. Or wait and then dump while moving to disperse the waste better.

For a boat that spend a lot of time in waters where you can't dump, feeding directly to the tank keeps the system simpler. Less plumbing, less valves, potentially less thru hulls, etc.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 17:22   #67

Quote:
It's definitely worse for the marine environment to concentrate waste in a holding tank and then dump it all at once.

Sensible regulation would recognize how much less harmful it is to release it a little at a time, especially if it's macerated.

In Norway, the rule is you shouldn't discharge closer than 300 meters from shore -- very sensible. Rules requiring small boats to discharge more than 12 miles from shore are counterproductive.
Norway is rated the #1 country in the world for quality of life for its citizens. It would make sense that they have common sense laws here too.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 19:28   #68

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:

In Australia the distance is 3NM.

Living right on the coast I've often seen whales and dolphins swimming just a few hundred meters out. (imagine the ecological damage they could do if they crapped)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2024, 01:10   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrydolphin View Post
Norway is rated the #1 country in the world for quality of life for its citizens. It would make sense that they have common sense laws here too.

Thread drift alert! But yes, the Nordic countries have an amazingly sensible, reasonable, common sense, light touch approach to all kinds of regulations. Best place in the world to live for sure. I was lucky to spend most of the pandemic in Denmark. In none of the Nordic countries was there even one day of lockdown, schools were closed for only 6 weeks, people were calm and reasonable. As they are about everything. And ended up with the lowest mortality in Europe.
Walt Whitman

Tags
water