Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05   #31

Nobody has mentioned Windpilot. They have models for boats from 20 feet to boats over 60 feet. I read somewhere that more people on the ARC use windpilot than any other model. Since they are of German make I am sure they will not be cheap but expect quality will be good. Worth looking at.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 14:36   #32

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
Peter, thanks for your information. i circumnavigated in a Cascade 29 W/tiller and the Monitor worked in light air and at slow speed,but like you said the faster the better. the Aries is a good vane, the only problem I saw was, with mixing, aluminum, SS steel, bronze and salt water. I have seen some very bad problem ones on the used market because of this.
Have you sailed with a Cape Horn Vane? I would like to talk to some one that has sailed with a Monitor and a Cape Horn. just to compair the two.
I have the caphorn and have sailed a boat with a monitor, but the two boats are not comparable. The monitor was able to steer the boat well, and does function as it should. I chose the caphorn as I didn't like the appearance of the monitor on the stern, and I was absolutly sold on the simplicity of the caphorn.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 17:59   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
There is another thread comparing pendulum servo (Monitor) and auxiliary rudder (Hydrovane). http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ane-10991.html

I haven't sailed with the Cap Horn but people claim it is very good especially in light air. The only complaint I've heard is one fellow had a mystery problem with the angle steering rod bending or something like that. He replaced the rod with new but vane still didn't work as well as it had before. He was working with Yves to try and cure the problem but never heard how it turned out. I wouldn't let that instance scare me as people have had problems with all different kinds of vanes.

There are a number of Pendulum Servo vanes: SAILOMAT WINDPILOT: selfsteering under sail A few Superlatives A few Superlatives Aries http://www.selfsteer.com/products/index.php These are just a few.

WindPilot, Hydrovane, Scanvik, and Hydrovane are some manufacturers of auxillary rudder system. I've got the WindPilot Pacific Plus on my current boat and it's uncanny how well it steers from near zero boat speed on up. Haven't had the fun of using it in winds over 40mph but below that speed, it's been superb.

The dissimilar metal problems with the Aries can be easily handled. Disassemble it and reassemble using liberal amounts of lanolin or TefGel where you find stainless and aluminum. On my relatively early Aries, the bronze gears did not come in contact with the aluminum so wasn't an issue. Believe they've handled the dissimilar metals issue with the new Danish made Aries. BTW, is Nick Franklin's daughter still selling replacement parts for the one's he made???? Miss Nick, he was a delight to do business with.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:20   #34
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
With WindPilot, Hydro, and Monitor - does anyone have experience with installing them on a sugar scoop stern, and any nightmares or issues? I only had a monitor on my folkboat so it was relatively easy to install for a tiller...but it confuses me how windvanes are installed on modern sugar scoops without issues...so Id be interested in anyones experience.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 18:47   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Here's some different attachment options for a WP Pilot Plus. WINDPILOT - Photos / plusan

All the vane mfg. websites have example installations. If you have a production boat, chances are they have a photo of a way to install their vane. If you don't, a photo sent to them will probably get you some ideas.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 00:57   #36

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
SaltyMonkey, I have a Monitor mounted on my Island Packet 320 it has a suger scoop and it was no problem. Go to www.selfsteer.com and you can see hundreds of installations on suger scoops. I just told Scanmar what type of boat I had and they sent me directions, complete w/drawing, on how to install it. Good customer service, I didn't even buy the vane from them, got it used. I agree, I don't like how the monitor looks but if your crossing an ocean who cares? If I were sitting in a marina I would take it off and that is simple with a monitor, almost impossible with a Cape Horn.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:53   #37
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
hoolie - thanks for the info. Always wondered if there were structural and customization problems with mounting that on a scoopy tail.

Thats one thing I do like about the monitor - less stress on the transom than an additional rudder-tye vane, and you can take it out of the water very easily.

OTOH, i like the idea of having an emergency rudder and no need for any control lines with something like a Hydro.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 00:29   #38

Re: Cape Horn Wind Vane ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm going with a Cape Horn. Buying/installing next year. Getting by with a crappy autopilot right now. The ton of installation photos on their site was nice and was a big part of selling me on it.
Hi, We have a barely used cape horn wind vane for sale. We have a center cockpit Kelly peterson and the wind vane does not work for this type of boat, it seems to do well with an aft cockpit. Drop a line if you are interested, Kathy S/VPooino Roa
pooinoroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:30   #39

Boat: Swan-43 Cygnus

I LOVED my CapHorn, it steered my Swan-43 95% of the time (on every point of sail and weather) while sailing over 35K MN's. At around 22K talked with Yves about it not holding course as tightly as when new and he said "ship it back and we will recondition her in the shop, it's guaranteed for 25K"

Not only is it elegant looking, it actually works and has very few "small" parts. I singled-handed a lot during my 6-years cruising and I considered this vane my most important tool. Hats off to Yves and Eric for both the product and on-going support/service.

Don Goodspeed S/V Cygnus
DCGSAILING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 16:56   #40

Boat: Westsail 32

And, randomly, two beauty shots of a CapHorn doing its job

I like our Caphorn.

~A

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote