Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 18:49   #31

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch
Re: Carvel refit.

Those stains on the planking appear to all be in the bilge. Was there water in her or oil? Steel will blacken some woods I think. If the wood doesn't feel spongy or crumbly I wouldn't worry about it. You might also try starting a thread on the WoodenBoat Forum. There is plenty of knowledge there, plenty of strong opinion too. You'll have to sort through it and decide what to do. I suggest you listen to those with actual experience restoring a planked hull, rather than arm chair experts.
(I've done some refastening, replanking and reframing, never a total restoration)

Edit: I posted this after reading the last post on page one. It's a bit redundant now.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 19:18   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar39 View Post
Those stains on the planking appear to all be in the bilge. Was there water in her or oil? Steel will blacken some woods I think. If the wood doesn't feel spongy or crumbly I wouldn't worry about it. You might also try starting a thread on the WoodenBoat Forum. There is plenty of knowledge there, plenty of strong opinion too. You'll have to sort through it and decide what to do. I suggest you listen to those with actual experience restoring a planked hull, rather than arm chair experts.
(I've done some refastening, replanking and reframing, never a total restoration)

Edit: I posted this after reading the last post on page one. It's a bit redundant now.
Looking at the butt blocks they have what smells like pine pich in behind them.* I'm thinking it's leached through the planks ?*

I need a team of Elves in the bildge I may be some time.* It's had water in the bilge for shore and no doubt the odd spillage and engine oil dripping but I haven't smelled any* diesel when I've used the heat gun. It's coming up ok. All the roves and rivets on two ribs directly under the engine are loose it can't be shrinkage that's caused it because it's only there. One of the old guys here reckons* because the engine was straight on the timbers with no mounts the vibration of the engine over fifty odd years has caused it sounded plausible to me. IL check that forum out sometime. I'm going to clean up every rivet it looks like something I will have to get good at maybe 25 or more to replace at this stage. I'm thinking as soon as the bilge is OK IL start throwing sea water round and get in to the deck. very fiddley work and some places are hard to get at I keep telling myself it's all in the prep.* All the best thanks for reply.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190214_074539.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	186471  
samfreeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 16:07   #33

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

And people say steel boat is a lot of work
Old 23-02-2019, 16:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
And people say steel boat is a lot of work
Steel is real though I would feel a lot safer sailing along at night if you where to hit something.
Maintenance wise I think all boats are a lot of work if you get this far behind on keeping up with it.
Old 25-02-2019, 12:28   #35

After trying numerous wire brushes on the roves and rivets they where all to harsh until I found this a little wire polishing wheel off a dremel aka rotary tool. But NZ being a banana republic they wanted $20 dollars for two brushes that only do a rib each. So on to eBay and the samething for fifty cents each I ordered 150 of them for $75.00 free postage. I don't suggest anyone gets work on your boat done here unless you are Richard Branson.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190226_091648.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	186651  

Tags
refit