Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2024, 07:34   #1

Boat: Tartan 34c
Catalina 27 Outboard Well fitting

Well, I'm not sure where to even start. I have a 2008 9.8 Nissan 4 stroke on the back of my Catalina 27.

which may end up just not fitting, up or down, and the shaft length might mess me up with the rudder, too. Aside from finding a smaller 2 stroke 6-10 horse outboard, I really need to do something with this- it's out of the well, bolted onto a outboard mount, and sits way out there where you can't access anything mechanical and this is a bit of a nightmare. 110 pounds on the outer edge of a lever arm and no real way to get to a good spot to work on it.

So, before I start- am I going to even get this in the well (forget about tilting for now) or do I need to just get a different engine to start with.

small photos attached, google album link ? if I need to do that
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount-04.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	291709   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount-03.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	291710  

koyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:41   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Catalina 27 Outboard Well fitting

For your size boat, you probably need the 9.8 HP.

If your only problem is accessing the engine for maintenance, just back the boat in your slip then you'll have all the access you need.

If you have problems while sailing, you'll have to sail in or sail to shallow enough water so you can stand on the bottom and work on it.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 07:50   #3

Yeah, I need to be more clear at times.

it's a back in slip for length reasons, and raising the engine and then tilting it out of the water keeps it pretty far out there. two person job to tilt it up because it's already 3 feet behind the boat. A shorter shaft might be good, this gets a bit ridiculous.

so the consensus is "don't use a well on a sailboat equipped as such" ? oof
Old 04-07-2024, 09:13   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

If you go shorter shaft, the motor will come out of the water a lot more.

Can you move the bracket off center a bit?

I have my bracket off center.

I had to space the mounting pad back some though using a couple 2 x 4 sections. See photo.

My outboard is a 5 HP 4 stroke 25" shaft on an adjustable bracket. It weighs 58 lbs.

I have access when it's tilted up and it's clear of the water.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B27 Stern.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	457.6 KB
ID:	291714   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	291715  

Name:	DSC01752.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	291716   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00215.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	291717  

Name:	DSC00169.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	291719   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00051.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	291720  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 09:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If you go shorter shaft, the motor will come out of the water a lot more.

Can you move the bracket off center a bit?
I suppose I could glass up the outboard well where the outboard is supposed to go entirely and move the mounting off center, that would certainly be doable.

maybe I'm just overwhelmed looking at the outboard well where the outboard is supposed to go and just need to make it a storage locker.

I was sort of hoping, going into this boat, that I'd be able to shift things around to use the well, but I'm not even seeing where anything *goes* yet.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:23   #6

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Our first real boat was a C27 with outboard, loved that boat - sailed awesome !

It was the outboard model (with the dinette interior) and we had an old Mercury 9.9. We also managed to fit two 9 gallon gas tanks on either side of the locker. It was a great set-up.

I know that 4 strokes are more reliable than 2 - but - I would really suggest trying to find a motor that will work for you without making those serious modifications.

Especially an offset mount. That would be not only a pain but it would throw off the motoring characteristics and your balance.

Another thing I would suggest is that you don't need that much motor. Unless you have to fight a lot of current to get to your sailing area you could easily get by with a 6hp. Tohatsu makes an extra long 25" shaft model with an alternator.

Just some thoughts - hope you get it sorted out !

Old 05-07-2024, 06:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Our first real boat was a C27 with outboard, loved that boat - sailed awesome !

It was the outboard model (with the dinette interior) and we had an old Mercury 9.9. We also managed to fit two 9 gallon gas tanks on either side of the locker. It was a great set-up.
We have the dinette and it is a great setup. wife and I could long term coastal cruise in the space, possibly more easily (despite stowage) than the tartan. Being able to reach, mess with, and handle the motor would make the rest of the difference, there. (and anchor gear but that's just me wanting to be lazy and clean)

Quote:
I know that 4 strokes are more reliable than 2 - but - I would really suggest trying to find a motor that will work for you without making those serious modifications.

Especially an offset mount. That would be not only a pain but it would throw off the motoring characteristics and your balance.
Honestly, I was being a bit snarky. I have a manufacturer designed and built in well which is what I actually WANT in a 27 footer (or a 24 footer) - and no way am I going to glass it up and make it into an offset outboard thing.

I suppose I'm frustrated by the lack of actual marina infrastructure or available semi skilled paid assistance on the northern neck in Virginia. Even though this Nissan is slightly oversized, I should be able to get it into the well even if I can't raise it fully (with the cowl on, or whatever. I don't even know how to measure that)

right now it seems that "reliability" in outboards for me is more a function of fuel age and running time than some inherent differences in design (I am, in fact, having outboard issues, and while PO threw everything he could at the problem except carb cleaning, it's still problem). I have no problems with a 6hp long shaft 2 stroke. I'd trade straight across after getting the Nissan tuned up.

(I'd also probably run a smaller day tank and have that 9 gallon cruising tank for going somewhere)

Quote:
Another thing I would suggest is that you don't need that much motor. Unless you have to fight a lot of current to get to your sailing area you could easily get by with a 6hp. Tohatsu makes an extra long 25" shaft model with an alternator.

Yeocomico river out to the Potomac estuary- even if we do the weekend or week cruising in the bay that I want to do, I could probably get by with 6hp and a bit of tidal awareness. Might get a bit hairy on catching the tides and currents timing if we go south of Norfolk, but even then, no Catalina is really going to overpower the water the way a planing hull with 360hp is going to.

I know people disagree on this- but I've already sculled this boat against the tide (in zero wind) in the yeocomico last time the engine decided to flood out. with the rudder. and I'm not exactly 3HP or anything.

Tags
catalina, outboard