Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2021, 10:52   #1

Catalina 27 Window Upgrade

Hey all! I'm new to boat ownership and this forum, so I hope this is in the right place. I'm currently in the process of saving an old Catalina 27 and my current project is the windows. The aluminum frames are in rough shape and very leaky, and some of the core around then is damaged. My plan is to replace the windows entirely to frameless using a VHB 3M tape and some silicone sealant, and add what structure I can to the damaged core sections, then make some trim for the inside of the windows. Has anyone done an upgrade like this before? Would it be better to just fix up the aluminum frames and re-seal those?

Thanks!
twistedburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 11:29   #2

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Catalina 27 Window Upgrade

There is a guy on YouTube who is doing a full on restoration of a Catalina 27. I'm sure windows had to be part of his videos. Just do a search on YouTube for Catalina 27 Refit and you'll find it.
Old 28-10-2021, 12:09   #3

Thanks! I'll check that out!
twistedburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 13:55   #4

Boat: Moody 376

Did this on the windows on my moody...
A few pics here. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ws-255158.html

I hav e more pics on my “blog” of sorts at sailing anarchy. I might have a done a more thorough write up, let me know if interested and I’ll see if I dig it up...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2021, 15:04   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

May I suggest Linux as an alternative to windows?
Old 29-10-2021, 09:01   #6

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

You might see what replacements would cost from Catalina?
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:09   #7

Boat: Catalina Morgan 440

We used Cruising Concepts - https://catalinaonly.com/retrofitwindows/ -- for replacement windows for the old aluminum-framed windows on our former Catalina 36. Nice upgrade.
Chachere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 19:31   #8

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

When I got the first rain when owned my Catalina 27 I got there one evening after the first rain and the cabin carpet was swimming like an Anaconda. I bailed her out and the next day I just applied some GE silicon caulk from home depot. Those ports never leaked again. One of the easiest fixes of my life. My current boat i used a different approach and while they also don't leak it was a major project to do it right. Sometimes the cheapo simple solution is just right. Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:48   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

Catalina Direct sells a repair kit for the aluminum windows which includes new gaskets and some sealant.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-...earchResults=1

I performed the window repair on the eight windows on my Catalina 30, earlier this year. It is messy, and a b*tch to remove 35 years of various sealants the previous owners slapped on the frames in an attempt to repair the leaks. I put blue painters tape on everything as the sealant goes everywhere. FYI, mineral spirits will remove 3M 4200...

You will need more sealant than the kit provides (Dowsil 391 for the glass /gasket and 3M 4200 White for bonding the aluminum frames to the fiberglass cabin ).

So far no leaks, however I have not beaten the boat up badly in sailing since the installation.

As someone mentioned, Cruising Concepts makes an upgrade kit to replace the aluminum frames and bond acrylic(?) windows directly to the fiberglass cabin.

https://cruisingconcepts.com/photo-g...ndows-gallery/

Their kit uses industrial window adhesive (like used in high rise buildings) to bond the plastic windows to the fiberglass. Their kit is NOT cheap. My neighbor bought the kit for his Catalina 30 (again eight windows) and the cost was $2K. However their kit does come with the internal trim for the inside of the windows. Without this you have a raw edge in the fiberglass when you remove the old aluminum frame.

If you do not care about the internal coaming you can have a glass shop cut plastic windows for you and bond them in yourself, however it may take some finesse to bend the plastic to conform to the cabin bulkhead.

I can see if I can find out what adhesive that was used (I believe it was also Dowsil). Do NOT put screws through the acrylic as it will just crack and provide a place for leaks ( and looks UGLY as h*ll...)

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:09   #10

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
I can see if I can find out what adhesive that was used (I believe it was also Dowsil).

probably dow 795 and 3m VHB tapes.
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, wind