Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2021, 10:38   #16

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
Re: Center board pin made of G10 on Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Pray tell what was irrational or nonconstructive in my response or, with the exception of two of slightly sarcastic remarks, all of the others?

Perhaps....
Perhaps nothing, the ornery sarcastic remarks were the point You could have stopped there. Really folks why does everyone get so emotional? This is all supposed to be fun
How about less speculating about me and my personal character etc and I won't return the favor

Last time I dared question the "oven as Faraday Cage" myth, the pitchforks and torches came out now this lol people are funny

So anyway back to the topic thanks for the entertainment, you've confirmed that apart from 1-weight and 2- wear and 3- general and vague unease about risking something new, there are no other real issues Im missing, and I'll let you know what I did and how it went.
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 17:39   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Perhaps nothing, the ornery sarcastic remarks were the point You could have stopped there. Really folks why does everyone get so emotional? This is all supposed to be fun
How about less speculating about me and my personal character etc and I won't return the favor
Excuse me? I made no comments like this at all, nothing emotional, no speculations about your nor your character.

Go back and reread my posts
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 18:11   #18

Not sure why you're feeling insulted by posts not directed at you, since, like you said yourself, my post about manners was directed obviously to the folks with the unhelpful sarcastic remarks not you. But see what I mean about getting emotional over a simple matter? If it is all clear now, have a great day
Old 26-04-2021, 18:26   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
Not sure why you're feeling insulted by posts not directed at you, since, like you said yourself, my post about manners was directed obviously to the folks with the unhelpful sarcastic remarks not you. But see what I mean about getting emotional over a simple matter? If it is all clear now, have a great day
Since you quoted my post in a direct reply and said just under my name and comments, "Perhaps nothing, the ornery sarcastic remarks were the point You could have stopped there. Really folks why does everyone get so emotional? This is all supposed to be fun
How about less speculating about me and my personal character etc and I won't return the favor."

Written that way what am I supposed to think? You, being a personal pronoun indicating the person being addressed would in common usage refer to the person a comment is addressed to.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 18:34   #20

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I have no vague unease about the G10 pin. I think it’s a bad idea. Doesn’t mean it won’t work.
20ksi shear strength is not an absolute number, but per square inch number.
The G10 might be strong enough, I have not done the analysis.
The wear characteristics are utterly different.
The behavior with shock loading is different.

For me, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 18:45   #21

Yes that was the first time you misread my post, because - and just to be clear - I told you then to not go past your "perhaps", and just read the first part of your own post about the "exceptional sarcastic" remarks. Because that's whom my comment about manners was indeed directed to. Really aren't you blowing this up unecessarily? I'm trying my best to clear up so no insults but ill just finish it here and will never post anything again lol
Old 02-05-2021, 17:23   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-2

I have machined G10 many times. It cuts well but is very abrasive to cutting tools. As such, I would be very nervous about using it in that application. I can see it opening up the hole in the board. I do not think it is a structural material, so I would not try it with anything with a significant load. My Tartan 27 had a stainless steel pin, that looked perfect after many decades. So my own opinion would be to stay with a suitable metal. I have my second Pearson now; they did most things very well, especially the big important things. Sounds like the system they used for the pin was one of them.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson