Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2015, 10:27   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Cetol color

I don't want to start the debate about what teak finish to use. I was wondering if anyone has used Cetol Marine, Marine Light, or Natural Teak, and which is the closest to a bright finished, true Teak, not Plantation Teak color. After more than 30 years of varnish, I am done. I used it years ago on a rub strake on my Crealock 37, but since then they have refined it, and got away from the Orange color, but am not sure which is the one to use. I just want to sail, no more varnish.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 10:43   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Cetol color

Natural Teak looks like varnish.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 11:11   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The one that has the least color added is the light, the natural has a brownish color in it.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 11:23   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
I don't want to start the debate about what teak finish to use. I was wondering if anyone has used Cetol Marine, Marine Light, or Natural Teak, and which is the closest to a bright finished, true Teak, not Plantation Teak color. After more than 30 years of varnish, I am done. I used it years ago on a rub strake on my Crealock 37, but since then they have refined it, and got away from the Orange color, but am not sure which is the one to use. I just want to sail, no more varnish.
We have been using Cetol Natural Teak for several years with good results and good appearance (given dock neighbors have complimented our "Varnish"). We applied two coats of the color to raw prepared wood and then 4 coats of clear gloss. A touch-up with clear gloss every 6-8 months is easy and keeps the finish looking good.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 11:32   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i like the color of the natural teak overcoated with the clear gloss. i would apply 2 coats of the natural teak and then go with a few coats of clear gloss to finish it off .. for maintenance use the clear gloss.
Old 19-03-2015, 15:31   #6

Boat: IP 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i like the color of the natural teak overcoated with the clear gloss. i would apply 2 coats of the natural teak and then go with a few coats of clear gloss to finish it off .. for maintenance use the clear gloss.
Ditto on this, I refinished our cockpit table this way and it looks great...now to tackle the real job...

Once it's on the maintenance seems simple and I've seen a couple boats in the marina with the combo of "natural teak" with gloss on top and liked it. Also happy with how the table turned out, which was my test.
Old 19-03-2015, 18:08   #7

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Cetol color

Just did mine with Cetol Natural, it's a bit on the darker side of natural but not the Orange, maybe the lighter one if you want it lighter.
First is without any cetol, you can see the color on my Dorade best, and the house trim. Lastly the wave board is in Shade so it looks darker.
Make sure your teak is clean and with no black wood fungus, the Cetol will darken anything that's darker already.
Here's a photo.Attachment 99084Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1426813670.371084.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	99085Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1426813721.803498.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	99086

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 18:18   #8

I've been using the natural for several years now and like the looks. Prior to that I used the original color and after many years of maintenance coating it took on a too dark appearance. The light has a orange color which I don't like. One thing that I found out is that using the gloss helps the finish to hold up to UV better. I put down three coats of natural and then two coats of the gloss. Maintenance coats are done with the gloss unless there is major rework involved.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 05:46   #9

Boat: gozzard 44

I've been using Marine Cetol for almost 20 years and it's still the original coating. With an annual coating of Gloss it remains looking like varnish. Natural Teak Cetol has a pleasant brown teak look to it. I've been told that Light Cetol has white pigment added to make it appear lighter but not necessarily more translucent. The key is the Gloss maintenance coat.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 18:26   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

This is Cetal Marine Light with two coats of gloss after one year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	99124  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 18:31   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I've had good results with two coats of the natural followed by two of clear. And the nice thing about Cetol is that you can put down two coats in one day, if the weather is good.
Old 20-03-2015, 19:06   #12

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch

We use the Cetol Marine. Tried the Light once, but didn't like the results. However, our rails are Ironbark, a darker wood compared to teak. They are all the way around the boat, and massive. Teak looks nice with Cetol Marine, but Ironbark looks spectacular if there are no problems. We did have one can that gave us cloudy results a few days after application, but after some number of months (in the winter) the cloudiness disappeared. It has been suggested that was due to a higher level of water (as a contaminant)in the Cetol than should have been there. It apparently diffused out over time.
Billr
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 19:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
We use the Cetol Marine. Tried the Light once, but didn't like the results. However, our rails are Ironbark, a darker wood compared to teak. They are all the way around the boat, and massive. Teak looks nice with Cetol Marine, but Ironbark looks spectacular if there are no problems. We did have one can that gave us cloudy results a few days after application, but after some number of months (in the winter) the cloudiness disappeared. It has been suggested that was due to a higher level of water (as a contaminant)in the Cetol than should have been there. It apparently diffused out over time.
Billr

I understand that a major advantage of using Cetol is that it is a "breathable" coating, allowing moisture to migrate out of the wood.
Any experts out there know that for sure?

Old 20-03-2015, 19:47   #14

I stripped and re coated my boat last year and was very happy with the ease and resulting finish, it is thick enough to fill wood grain quickly and can be reapplied in consecutive coats quickly, with no additional sanding.