Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 20:38   #16
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Cetol/varnish question.

Buy a good bristle brush, thin with quality mineral spirits and make sure you get three to four good coats on in one application. Take a break for a month or whatever light sand with a foam sanding block and put each remaining coat on at your leisure (5-6 total). Then one good coat every other year whether it needs it or not to replenish the UV inhibitors and fill any chips/cracks etc. The first three coats are the hardest and your annual coats can be a pleasant chore. Don’t tape, just keep a rag and small cup of spirits at hand to clean up an drips (works way better than tape and tapers the leading edge as opposed or a hard line where water can intrude).
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 21:01   #17
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Buy a good bristle brush, thin with quality mineral spirits and make sure you get three to four good coats on in one application. Take a break for a month or whatever light sand with a foam sanding block and put each remaining coat on at your leisure (5-6 total). Then one good coat every other year whether it needs it or not to replenish the UV inhibitors and fill any chips/cracks etc. The first three coats are the hardest and your annual coats can be a pleasant chore. Don’t tape, just keep a rag and small cup of spirits at hand to clean up an drips (works way better than tape and tapers the leading edge as opposed or a hard line where water can intrude).
awesome. good stuff. this will be a first for me. I think i'd much prefer to add a layer or two of varnish every year than to have to scrape all that wood again in five. seems easier and less destructive to the teak in the long run.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 22:16   #18
rbk

On annual applications you do have to look for anywhere the bond breaks (usually an unnoticed chip that lets water in). If you take care of them as you add layers they’ll become less and less frequent over the years. If you ever let it go unmaintained for too long it will involve a full strip as spots become patches.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:20   #19

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As a note, the piece of wood I'll be varnishing this year is going to get a coat of epoxy first under the varnish. My hope is that by sealing the wood better, the finish should be more durable and will take longer to fail.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:41   #20

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Anyway you do it, varnish, cetol w/clear coats or Deks Olje w/clear coats eventually you'll need to take it down to wood after 7 years or so. We use a product called Peel Away. Its easy and works very well to remove years of build up.

It really comes down to ease of application/preference. Basically pick one and stick w/it, each has their pluses/minuses.

With Cetol you definitely want to use the clear coat for the UV protection and should do annual maintenance coats. Again similar to varnish, can do this for several years before you need to take it off and start over. Repair of chips/breaks in the cetol clear coat are very easy touch up.

Like Cetol, Deks Olje is improved w/the clear coat (if you don't want a mat finish). The dry time between the base coats to polymerize is somewhat lengthy (IMO too long) and contains linseed oil that may get moldy. The gloss coats go on fairly easily and like the cetol or varnish coats, any chips/nicks should be repaired asap.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:57   #21
er9
cruiser

Thank Bill. I was hoping not to have to scrape again but it sounds like its just what happens to a wooden boat. The natural oils in the teak proba ly play a part in this.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:14   #22
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
As a note, the piece of wood I'll be varnishing this year is going to get a coat of epoxy first under the varnish. My hope is that by sealing the wood better, the finish should be more durable and will take longer to fail.
Having done this I would recommend against it. Taking off epoxy is a royal pain and it will have to come off one day.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:15   #23

In the rainy PNW I found that varnish needs about 3 more coats annually to keep from "breaking through" to bare wood. I guess rain is pretty abrasive. Although, I never often got to 8 or more coats initially like "yacht" varnishers do!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:19   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I too would advise against this, unless you are 100% that you will stay well ahead of keeping plenty of varnish on top. This was a "thing" for a while years ago. The boats I've seen that didn't stay ahead of it were a terrible mess. The UV degrades epoxy, some flakes off in big chunks, other places tenaciously stick. The only way to even it out is to remove it all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:20   #25
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
Thank Bill. I was hoping not to have to scrape again but it sounds like its just what happens to a wooden boat. The natural oils in the teak proba ly play a part in this.
If you take care of the varnish it can last a very long time, longer then most of us will be around. Let it go and you’ll be scraping again. 7 years is too short and most likely high UV and lack of maintenance would expect that kind of life span. I will note that I am not a fan of varnish alternatives even quality ones. My supplier sent me a can of Epiphanes alternative stuff by accident and I figured what the heck it’s here. High build no sanding between coats etc and the next spring it was popping off. I now have to scrape if all off and reapply a true varnish while other stuff with varnish looks brand new with only three coats and going on 4 years.
Old 12-02-2020, 19:30   #26
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
If you take care of the varnish it can last a very long time, longer then most of us will be around. Let it go and you’ll be scraping again. 7 years is too short and most likely high UV and lack of maintenance would expect that kind of life span. I will note that I am not a fan of varnish alternatives even quality ones. My supplier sent me a can of Epiphanes alternative stuff by accident and I figured what the heck it’s here. High build no sanding between coats etc and the next spring it was popping off. I now have to scrape if all off and reapply a true varnish while other stuff with varnish looks brand new with only three coats and going on 4 years.
cool thanks. I think this helped me make up my mind. im going with varnish. I dont mind the yearly maintenance if its going to prolong having to scrape the teak again.
Old 12-02-2020, 19:59   #27
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
cool thanks. I think this helped me make up my mind. im going with varnish. I dont mind the yearly maintenance if its going to prolong having to scrape the teak again.
Don’t think you have to do all your bright work in varnish as well. Pick and choose what you want protected and what you don’t. For instance I leave grab rails raw and oiled, absolutely please do not do your decks, cockpit or anywhere you stand often as it becomes slick as ice. If you feel you must like a turtle or cockpit coaming that sees foot traffic; varnish it up good then put some form of grip tape or product like tread master so you don’t end up breaking an ankle leg or worse.

Tags
varnish