Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 21:06   #1
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Cetol/varnish question.

im currently scraping the exterior wood. it appears to be varnish over Cetol (see pic). I kind of like the look but am wondering if just plain varnish over the teak would be more durable than varnish over Cetol?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181215_071749.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	208468  
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 22:41   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Cetol/varnish question.

Looks like straight cetol. A search will gives you all sorts of opinions on your question. Know that whatever you choose requires maintenance.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:49   #3
er9
cruiser

Dont suppose anyone would care to guess what color Cetol it is? I looked at the color charts but cant determine which one they might have used?
Old 11-02-2020, 08:32   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 32

I have a GB 32, with LOTS of exterior teak. My very capable woodworking guy uses 6 coats of Cetol Gloss. It looks like varnish to anyone except a real serious boat owner or professional. Of all the Cetol finishes it has the most UV protection. After over a year open to the SF Bay weather, it looks like brand new.
Good luck!
Oldersalt
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:37   #5
rbk

Most likely natural but you won’t be able to colour match it as it’s lost it’s bond with the wood is UV degraded and now needs to be completely removed.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:38   #6
er9
cruiser

Thanks oldsalt i might do a test of just the cetol gloss first and see what it looks like. After some research it seems Cetol is prefered for durability.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:40   #7
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Most likely natural but you won’t be able to colour match it as it’s lost it’s bond with the wood is UV degraded and now needs to be completely removed.
Thanks rbk. Yeah that pic is a year old. Im currently scraping everything back to bare teak. Hoping i can get the finish to look a little nicer than it was.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:51   #8
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
Thanks oldsalt i might do a test of just the cetol gloss first and see what it looks like. After some research it seems Cetol is prefered for durability.
It does last longer with less maintenance but once it goes off like it has for you it has to be stripped. Varnish can be touched up indefinitely as long as the bond is solid; This usually requires touch ups every other year. Cetol will eventually lose its bond no getting around that.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:57   #9
er9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
It does last longer with less maintenance but once it goes off like it has for you it has to be stripped. Varnish can be touched up indefinitely as long as the bond is solid; This usually requires touch ups every other year. Cetol will eventually lose its bond no getting around that.
Interesting. Do you think with yearly recoats/refresh of the cetol coating it would still debond/ delaminate from the underlying teak? With varnish it seems you can thin it to get it to soak in the wood.
Old 11-02-2020, 13:01   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Cetol has held up well for me, but it seems like it eventually loses bond due to either a crack or water managing to get under it. I need to refinish my pulpit teak this year, so I'll be stripping it and trying Interlux Perfection Plus (2 part varnish) instead this time. Supposedly it lasts even better and holds its gloss longer, so we'll see how long it lasts before I have to touch it again.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 13:25   #11

Any thoughts on Deks Olje or TotalBoat Marine Boat Finish instead of Cetol on teak?
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 13:40   #12
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
Interesting. Do you think with yearly recoats/refresh of the cetol coating it would still debond/ delaminate from the underlying teak? With varnish it seems you can thin it to get it to soak in the wood.
Touch-ups on cetol will prolong but not stop the eventual failure. Letting varnish go will do the same thing. The important part if going with varnish is to follow the application instructions and thin the first few coats, same goes for touch-ups. Select a good quality varnish preferably one that uses natural resins. Don't mistake spar urethane for varnish. Urethane (and epoxies) are hard and can crack letting water in. A varnish will flex and dent when it takes a hit. Oil or letting the teak grey are two other options as well. Oiling teak is easy but every finish has its drawbacks, even letting it grey. For instance the regular washing raw teak requires will eventually wear it down and it will require replacement. There is absolutely zero 'set and forget' finishes available anywhere. Pick your poison.
Old 11-02-2020, 16:20   #13

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35

I’ve had decent success using Cetol Light with Cetol Gloss as a topcoat on my teal toerails . I refresh the topcoat annually with another coat. It doesn’t get the thick orange look of regular Cetol and matches the varnished bits quite well.
I usually get about 5 seasons before it starts to fail.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 16:41   #14

My impression from using both is they are comparable, Cetol maybe a bit less durable but easy to add to. Doesn't look quite right right up close like Varnish, but looks good. One wonders if finding a paint color that would be close to Cetol and last far longer in the sun would be a good compromise on a non "bristol" yacht.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 20:22   #15
er9
cruiser

thanks for all the replies so far. I honestly cant make up my mind which direction I might go but luckily dont have to decide for a couple more months. leaning a bit towards varnish. it seems more difficult to apply initially but possibly more durable bond long-term if I keep on top of it.

Tags
varnish