Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2023, 18:29   #1

Chain rope chain combo?

I have a downeaster 32 it has a bowsprit and bobstay. I use all chain with a mantus sunbber. I sleep well through storms shifting tides and swell. With the snubber and knowing if it did part id be on my chain. I have a bowsprit and a ton of stuff in the ve birth and a big old sarca Excell anchor. My bows getting heavy and dipping down. I was looking to remove some chain. I have 125 ft of it. I've had instances of 60knots at anchor and have used all 125ft for peace of mind plus I've had to duck Into deep places unexpectedly and don't have much worry. I like the chain on the seafloor and knowing chain is up to my bobstay incase it the boat rides over the chain it won't part on the bobstay fitting or the keel. Has any one used say 50 for of chain to rope to chain? The though would be the rope would keep off the bottom and off the bobstay ( if I deployed it right). Does this sound silly? I could reduce alot of weight. Not sure if the chain would lay on the bottom with the rope or if I could get the cantereary so the chain would be up off the bottom the rope in the middle and some chain. Or should I just use chain to rope and stop over complicating this?
Mg451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2023, 22:48   #2

Boat: Hylas 46
Re: Chain rope chain combo?

I think you're over complicating it. I've never heard of using chain-rope-chain.

I'd suggest the standard chain-rope, and maybe adding chafe protection to the bobstay.

And also maybe re-consider all of the stuff in the v-berth. Can some of it be relocated or removed?
Lee Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 03:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you do chain/rope/chain, you'll have a length of rope dragging around the bottom, weighed down by the second length of chain.
I like all chain, but if I had to lose weight, I'd use 50' of chain and then rope.
Is it possible to move heavy junk out of the V-berth? That'd be my fist option.
Old 26-04-2023, 03:39   #4

Boat: Farr 43`

I run chain, rope and 5mts of chain on the boat end.
Just enough to reach the water from the bottom of the chain locker.
The idea is no chafe when the full rode is deployed.
Have used it exactly never.

Checked the rode today and found the splice had swollen from being damp in the locker .Very hard to get the splice past the gypsy.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 10:28   #5

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We use all chain, so I have no experience regarding your hybrid rode question.

I just wanted to mention our boat also has a bow sprit- with two best bower anchors. We have to use a bridle (vs. a snubber) to prevent contact with the bobstay.

A single line snubber will contact the bobstay occasionally when the boat yaws at anchor in higher winds. The long rope bridle rarely does, and the slack chain never touches the bobstay.

In case this adds any food for thought to your considerations.

Cheers, Bill

PS: If interested, there are many more details with photos and links on our page describing our bridle and storm bridle methods.

Tags
rope