Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2017, 09:42   #1

Boat: Bavaria 38 C
Changing numbers on inflatable

How do I remove or cover the old license numbers on my Caribe inflatable tender without damaging the fabric, so that I can paint the new numbers on it?
viben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2017, 14:28   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Changing numbers on inflatable

If the glue used is not SC 2000 or 4000, use a heat gun, and it should break down the glue bond, this works with most stick-on letters.

If you do not want to try that, buy some lightweight hypalon, cut it in a patch large enough to put the new letters on, put on the new ones, then use SC 2 or 4 thousand to bond it on, or Bostik. If it is humid when you glue, the Bostik will eventually fail, it is happpiest where dry. Life in the tin is poor.

If they were painted on, you can use a paint solvent: anything from citrus stripper through turpentine, to acetone. For hypalon, use acetone or methylethylketone (MEK) to clean the fabric before gluing, after sanding it lightly, just to give it "tooth".

Ann

An afterthought: We bought standard stencil material and made up stencils for our registration numbers, and used spray paint to apply them. To refresh, you just tape the stencil over the numbers and letters, and do it again, just a quick solvent wipe first.
Old 20-04-2017, 08:29   #3

Boat: Bavaria 38 C

The first challenge is to remove or cover the old painted numbers. I am worried that harsh chemicals strong enough to dissolve the paint, which seems to be penetrating the fabric, will damage the inflatable. Hence, what kind of paint can I safely use to cover the old numbers before painting the new ones? (I already have the stencils ready.)
viben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hypalon, or Vinyl? Hypalon I believe is pretty chemical resistant, vinyl I'd bet you may have to be more careful
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 08:47   #5

Are they glued on numbers or painted on?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 17:24   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If painted on, use the acetone, if it's hypalon, we've been using it on hypalon for years. If it is pvc, do NOT use acetone. Citrus stripper should do it for you, since they are painted. Then clean, and dry.

What we used for painting numbers on inflatable dinghies was some kind of paint used for renewing the red insides of dorade scoops, and it stays quite flexible, which is useful when you let the air out.

Ann

Tags
inflatable