Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2018, 17:33   #1

Charge controller for Wind and Solar

We have a boat with an old AMPAir wind generator, but we're looking at installing a solar panel. The wind generator is 100A, and the solar panel will probably also be rated about the same. Can someone recommend a charge controller that allows both solar and wind input and 12V battery output? Not much power here, but we don't want to use any junk, and I don't know what's decent for use around salt water and what isn't. Thank you.
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 17:35   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Charge controller for Wind and Solar

No need to have a single controller. They are uncommon and separate controllers will work just fine...most cruisers are set up that way. Has the advantage of redundancy too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 18:19   #3

Very interesting. I'm trying to figure out how to do things, and I like your response. Do you install a power diode on the outputs of each controller to the battery to make sure current never flows back in the wrong direction?
Old 25-07-2018, 21:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbaker View Post
We have a boat with an old AMPAir wind generator, but we're looking at installing a solar panel. The wind generator is 100A, and the solar panel will probably also be rated about the same. Can someone recommend a charge controller that allows both solar and wind input and 12V battery output? Not much power here, but we don't want to use any junk, and I don't know what's decent for use around salt water and what isn't. Thank you.
separate controllers and just to stop confusion your ampair wind gen is not 100 amp output but rather 100 watt
Old 26-07-2018, 07:13   #5

Oops. Yeah, I knew it was 100W - there is a 10A fuse in line.

Are you saying the controllers are wired in parallel across the battery?
Old 26-07-2018, 07:22   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just to reinforce the dual controller idea, I tried to run my solar through my windmill controller. It is one that claims to be able to do it. Lets just say, it was a bit of a disaster.

I installed a separate solar controller (Victron 100/30), and life has been great ever since.

Both my controllers are wired to my house bank. They both sense voltage and current at that point. My windmill controller is a simple voltage regulator. My solar is an MPPT. Both seem to work together just fine.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:39   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

yes each controller is wired direct to the battery Independently.
They will play nice to each other no issues.
Old 26-07-2018, 07:59   #8

Thank you guys so very much. That's exactly what I needed. Take care.
Old 26-07-2018, 08:11   #9

Quote:
Very interesting. I'm trying to figure out how to do things, and I like your response. Do you install a power diode on the outputs of each controller to the battery to make sure current never flows back in the wrong direction?
A "blocking diode" is not normally necessary. The controller and/or charge source typically already have this functionality (not necessarily provided by a blocking diode). For example, many solar panels have built in blocking diodes.
Old 26-07-2018, 08:15   #10

Quote:

Each is installed as per manufacturer's instructions...nothing special is normally need. They will normally sort things out on their own, but sometimes may require some tweaking like configuring set points so they play better together. Even that is not typically necessary.

Example: I have solar, twin engines/alternators, and a shore power charger. For redundancy, I installed a totally separate alternator regulators on each engine and a controller for solar (I have a small controller in my spares box as backup). None of these controllers/charge sources are integrated in anyway with each other: 4 totally separate installs. Works just fine. Output from all charge sources flows to positive bus bar which is located within inches of the house bank...about a 1' cable run. Paralleling of start batteries (2) is controlled by alternator regulators each controlling a relay for their respective engine's start battery. Some things, like temperature sensors, do need to be connected directly to the batteries. If I added wind, it would be no different, a totally independent install.
Old 26-07-2018, 09:07   #11

With a solar controller the solar panel is simply disconnected from the battery by the controller.
If you disconnect a wind generator from a load (battery) it free wheels and just creates noise. A wind generator controller typically shunts excess energy to another load (resistance heater, Peltier refrigeration, water maker) or even better, it electrically stops the wind generator. Stopping a three-phase wind generator is easy, just short the phases together. A DC wind generator is probably best shunted to another load.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 09:13   #12

Great info. We've not had a boat this size, so there is a LOT to learn. I really appreciate the input!

Tags
solar, wind