Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010, 16:25   #1

Boat: Ta Chiao CT34 - 34' - The Brass Monkey
Chartplotter Mounting - Pictures and Ideas ?

I am going to be purchasing a Garmin GPSMap740 for integration into my current NMEA2000 setup. Right now, I have the GMI10 instrument display in the cockpit, networked to the GPS antenna and the depthsounder.

I've resolved to upgrade from my current handheld GPS to a proper chartplotter with a reasonably-sized display now that the prices have come down sub-second-mortgage.

My intention is to mount the chartplotter near the chart table down below - I've seen so many friends go into "video game mode" when the plotter is visible from the helm... many seem to just get sucked into the screen, losing situational awareness and sacrificing seamanship in the process. However, I am willing to be corrected... as always. Either way, there's no room on the cabin sides, so there's no way to mount it within the cockpit itself.

However, I have seen swing-arm mounts mounted inside the cabin, which allow the plotter to swing into the companionway when necessary.

I'm really struggling with this one - I'm in the process of redesigning/rebuilding my chart table anyway, so now's the time to make any structural changes I'll need if I want to mount it there.

Any set-ups out there that you're really pleased with (or hate)? Creative ideas? Clever tricks? Pictures would be fantastic, as it's often tricky to picture some of the more complex set-ups.

Cheers,
Rob
Old 08-11-2010, 16:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Ram Mounts has a huge selection.

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 16:39   #3

Boat: Ta Chiao CT34 - 34' - The Brass Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Ram Mounts has a huge selection.

RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.
Thanks - I did run through their Wizard and they don't have anything specifically for the GPSMap 740, though there's probably one in that vast list that would work. Any opinions as to whether this set-up is worth it?

Is it a "worst of both worlds" situation, with the plotter neither convenient to the chart table nor as useful in the cockpit?
Old 08-11-2010, 16:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSMacG View Post
Thanks - I did run through their Wizard and they don't have anything specifically for the GPSMap 740
They won't. They do have universal mounts. If you are handy with a dill and or a jig saw, you can also modify your mount to fit a 740.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 17:04   #5

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Swing out mount.

I have a home built swing out arm. I built it as a prototype out of oak and hard pine... it worked so well that I never replaced the prototype.

Good old Boat (the best boating magazine on the market IMHO) had an article on building a swing out mount out of PVC pipe.... I would not have thought it was hokey, but it looked pretty good to me.

They give a free sample issue, and you would probably get this months with the article.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 20:50   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Walk Through
Be careful with the Garmin chartplotters. If you get anywhere near your compass with them, the compass WILL swing. Garmin puts a magnet in behind the plastic on the door for the SD card. This magnetic field will play havoc with your compass. My 5212 swings my compass over 30 degrees. The unit has nothing plugged into it and is not on. Anywhere within 2.5 feet, it starts to swing. Here is what the Garmin rep replied to me when contacted. "The magnet in the SD door of the 5212 is a relatively weak magnet at only 2500 gauss. These units have been on the market since 2007 for which we have not had prior issues such as what you are describing. There is certainly many different metallic components that make up an electronic piece of equipment that cause interference issues with a compass, especially a compass that is not ground sufficiently." Then they just stated to move it 39.5 inches away from the compass. To which I replied "why would I have a touch screen if I had to put it a full meter away from my compass(which is right by my wheel) Garmin marine division doesen't have a clue! Right now, I would rate garmin a 1 out of ten. This is beyond stupidity. And just to let you know, I know of 3 others that have the same problem and were unaware of it until I informed them. Because of this, I most likely will not ever buy a Garmin marine product again. This is not a rant, it is a warning to others not to waste their hard earned dollars.
WD
IceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
After checking for compass interference, I mounted my 5208 at the helm and moved the compass forward just enough to clear.
The only deviation I get is about 2 degrees on one heading. The rest of the way around, no deviation at all. Must be a different SD door.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:20   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
I've mounted my 3206 on a Ram mount double articulating arm at the companionway. It works very well though you do have to be a little careful entering and exiting the companionway when it's swung out. I like the variety of positions that I can locate the plotter. I swing it in when I'm below so I don't have to go on deck to check course and speed. Since it's under the dodger, it's easy to read when swung into the companionway. With it in direct sunlight, the plotter is nearly impossible to read. The wheel is forward on my boat which helps with the companionway location. I like the double articulating arm as it allow a large variety of orientation of the display from angling down to swung way out into the center of the compaionway. I've got the arm mounted on a wooden electrical box, the double arm allows me to swing the plotter so it faces directly into the boat and out of the way.

As far as mounting, the ram mount has a flat plate for attaching the plotter. Just put the bale mount on the plate, drilled the appropriate holes and and bolted it down.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chartplotter