Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2023, 09:30   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Cheap fabric for awning

My cheapest ever bimini was made from scavenged PVC pipe and a painter's cotton canvas drop cloth, sewed in place with a Speedy Stitcher, Once it was all together and stretched out, I gave it three coats of house paint bought for $4 at ReStore, a home salvage/recycler place ran by Habitat for Humanity. Total cost about $40 and it lasted for 4 years, a hurricane and several tropical storms. Of course once painted, it was permanent and couldn't be readily folded down, but the price was right. Might not be the ideal solution for you!

Watch fleabay, craigslist, etc for remnants or people getting rid of stuff bought for projects that never got started. If you are patient you can find some real bargains, especially if you aren't picky about color.

An old sail can be made into a decent awning. Never toss your old sails. Great for making seabags, hatch covers, etc as well as biminis, dodgers, awnings, etc. Sunbrella lasts longer and is easier to sew, but old sails are free.
Old 15-07-2023, 10:11   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You are in Panama. In Panama City there is this store called El Tapiz, who sell seconds from Sunbrella at a good price. Defects are marked and I never had a problem with them, easy to work around.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:02   #18

I have used painters' drop cloth canvas for side wall curtains. With a loose weave it is not quite waterproof with storms, but was cheap and has lasted a good long time, about 8 years I think.

I was talking to an artist who lived on a sailboat at New Orleans about the not quite waterproof rollups on the sides and he made the statement, "I paint my canvas." Well of course he does, he's an artist. Then I got what he was saying. Paint seals canvas and makes it UV resistant.

I painted the sides and it keeps blowing rain out. For overhead canopy, I stretched duck fabric over a wooden frame and painted with latex paint. The paint waterproofs it and shrinks it tight when it dries.

I am about to consider refreshing some things with Sun King, so I am listening with interest to you guys. I bought my drop cloth at Harbor Freight (cheap) and the duck fabric at JoAnn's (not so cheap). Will look at Ebay.
The Sun King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 07:41   #19

Boat: S2 35C

I have been very happy with FabricDirect.com

Their "Sunrise Water Resistant Canvas Fabric" is definitely waterproof and good looking. It comes 60" wide and it's $5.99/yard. Your get free shipping on orders over $75 and any order below is only $9.99!
duckpond49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 09:58   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I found that normal canvas tarpaulins, that one can purchase online, complete with grommets, are pretty weather and rot resistant, especially when I give the weather-side two coats of paint (exterior water base grade naturally) ..This way, you can choose whatever color you prefer and it does a great job keeping off the damaging ultraviolet sun rays...
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 23:32   #21

Boat: Still building

Have you considered a painters canvas drop cloth..??
The better quality ones are not cheap, but are somewhat water resistant as they are basically cotton duck canvas..?
Certainly not as 'crackly' as the poly tarps, and can be run through a decent sewing machine to cut to size and hem etc....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 13:02   #22

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

We use only Sunbrella. My current awning is now 14 years old, and still going strong. We are based in Acapulco & the sun is totally tropical.

I would not recommend anything else based on my experience.
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2023, 13:50   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I would recommend to try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DSRHGSL/

I buy these in a size and shape most useful, then modify them to fit.

Not waterproof but very light and more durable than I expected.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, fabric