Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2009, 00:57   #1

Boat: Woods Sagitta 9m
Cheap paint for inside FRP hull?

Hi,

My boat was lined with PVC. I don't like the stuff - water from leaks/condensation gets trapped between the PVC and the hull, So I have ripped most of it out.

What to use to point the interior? The surface is fairly even, after wire-brushing/grinding away the glue and runs of resin. I was thinking of using some kind of textured paint normally used in kitchens and bathrooms. This stuff is washable, cheap, and there is no problem with fumes while using it. Or maybe something like Dulux Weathershield masonry paint?
Any recommendations?

Thanks,

John
pir8ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 04:59   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
See "This Old Boat"

A good alkyd enamel applied over a clean base (sanded with 80 grit and wiped down--twice--with acetone) in two or three coats will work. Use a roller for application and tip lightly with a brush. It would be wise to obtain a copy of Don Casy's book, "This Old Boat" which has lots of information for effective, yet inexpensive, restorations of older yachts.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 05:08   #3

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Would this work as well for the inside of lockers etc on the exposed fiberglass?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 06:45   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i don't see why you couldn't use an eggshell finish water based interior wall paint. this stuff is washable and would stay put unless there was standing water. benjamin moore makes a good quality paint.
Old 27-01-2009, 07:44   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Walmart porch paint. At under $20 a gallon it's more durable than many expensive epoxy paints.
Old 27-01-2009, 09:08   #6

Thanks for the suggestions.

The book 'This Old Boat' is out of stock in the US, and not available at Amazon here in the UK.

I think I should have mentioned I am in the UK. No Walmart round here.

I don't fancy the sort of stuff that needs acetone as a thinners, or that needs 3 coats.

'eggshell finish water based interior wall paint' might be fine. Hardly any smell, and easy to touch up as needed. Has anyone tried it?

I wouldn't be using this stuff anywhere that gets wet in the usual course of things.

John
Old 27-01-2009, 09:11   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by pir8ped View Post

I think I should have mentioned I am in the UK. No Walmart round here.

Isn't Asda just Walmart in disguise?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 09:22   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
In a last desperate effort bfore a hard freeze while the boat was out of the water, I sloshed antifreeze (the pink stuff) in my bilges because I couldn't get them pumped dry. It stripped every type of paint (oil-based, alkyd, latex, etc.) out of the inside of the hulls in two months, and made an incredible flaky mess. It's going to be a two-part epoxy paint that goes back on! I did figure out a neat way to vacuum it all out, tho.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 09:59   #9

I just talked to an old fella who used to work for Northshore yachts. He says they usually used acrylic eggshell paint to paint the inside of hulls. The washable stuff designed for bathrooms - it contains fungicide.

I think that will do fine - cheap, easy to use, almost no fumes, easily recoatable.

It's going to be lovely.
Old 28-01-2009, 10:13   #10

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Quote:
... in the UK. No Walmart round here....
How do you LIVE?

My god, it's time to organize an airlift or a rock concert or something. Is the UN helpless? Can nothing be done to help these poor people?

Seriously, I have nothing to say about the paint issue, but about Walmart --- you're probably better off.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 10:24   #11
DWT

Quote:
Hi,

My boat was lined with PVC. I don't like the stuff - water from leaks/condensation gets trapped between the PVC and the hull, So I have ripped most of it out.

What to use to point the interior? The surface is fairly even, after wire-brushing/grinding away the glue and runs of resin. I was thinking of using some kind of textured paint normally used in kitchens and bathrooms. This stuff is washable, cheap, and there is no problem with fumes while using it. Or maybe something like Dulux Weathershield masonry paint?
Any recommendations?

Thanks,

John

John,

What ever paint you decide to use have a mildiside put into it. Helps to keep the mold down. Even if they tell you the paint already has it in add more.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint