Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 13:21   #31

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Chinese Vs Sailrite walking foot sewing machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Before the current crop of walking foot machines, Sailrite sold a machine they called a Sailmaker. It sold for about US$2000 in the early 2000s. It was the machine used in the illustrations of many of the boat canvas books. Back in that day, the Sailrite-Thompson walking foot machines were the low cost option. I picked up a Sailrite Sailmaker on ebay cheap. It was in an industrial base which was a US$335 option. My story is here. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...g+machine.html

I have used the machine for cushions, a bimini, a sail cover, sail repairs for myself and others, home draperies and curtains, carrying bags... you name it. it has more area under the arm than the current machines which can come in handy.

Matt Grant at Sailrite said, "The Sailmaker was based on a popular Brother TZB-652 [actually TZ1-B652] head which was initially made for dress making. As a result it is a great machine for home tailoring. Sailrite improved the unit to make it suitable for canvas work. As a result the old Sailrite Sailmaker is still a very desirable machine for home entusiasts doing both home and canvas sewing projects." Sailrite Sailmaker - Sailrite Forum

Short story... be flexible, keep your eyes open, be patient, and something will come along. But mostly... unless your really really trust the seller, try it before you buy it.

Bill
The Sailmaker was originally made for Reed's in the U.K., known as the Reeds Sailmaker. When Sailrite got going they offered it in the U.S. before sourcing their own machines. It is based on a Japan Standard machine, which was a design that was shared by many Japanese manufacturers in the early post-war era, when the huge domestic apparel industry consumed large volumes of them. Mine has no indication of the manufacturer, but a local repair shop said it was a quality one (quality varied widely between manufacturers) and so might well have been made by Brother. There is a potential issue with a nylon gear which will eventually need replacement with a brass gear. Also the bobbin winder has a plastic part that can crack and fail (mine is cracked) and I was told that there is no replacement available. It is a zig-zag machine and is limited to about 4mm stitch length. The machine featured a stronger presser spring, heavier flywheel, hand crank, traction belt, and more powerful motor (and possibly some other upgrades). As others noted, it is not the best machine to use to build a sail due to the small volume under the arm and the lack of a walking foot but can be used for many sail repairs (with difficulty). I have sewn a lot of Sunbrella with it and it does well with that as well as lighter fabrics. In addition to the basic manual I got a copy of an article (by Sailrite IIRC) that explains how to adjust the machine; if anyone is interested I can scan it in and provide a PDF.

I was a bit surprised that Ann wore out her Pfaff 130: they are famously durable, and at least a few decades ago were quite repairable. My original canvas maker had one with a large industrial motor which he used regularly. The full rotary mechanism is strong and capable of great speed. They have been used by housewives, tailors, and canvas workers with great results. If you can find a good one buy it.

If you can afford it and want the best solution buy the Sailrite for the customer service and heavy duty modifications. Unless you are willing to go up to industrial machines with long arms, etc. I think buying a Chinese machine and upgrading to heavier flywheel and springs is also a good solution if you have the time to spend. As always finding a good used machine can be a great solution.

If you are buying a new machine then definitely consider a walking foot, although it isn't an absolute must. Full rotary mechanisms are also preferred to reciprocating designs as they do not need adjustments as often and they run smoother and quieter. And you want the ability for long stitches, as much as 6mm or longer, to reduce puckering with Sunbrella.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 14:50   #32

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The Sailmaker was originally made for Reed's in the U.K., known as the Reeds Sailmaker. When Sailrite got going they offered it in the U.S. before sourcing their own machines.
Greg
This is the Reads Sailmaker.

This is a Sailrite Sailmaker.

Which was based on a Brother TZ1-B652.

You might enjoy the Untrafeed history. https://www.sailrite.com/ultrafeed-history

I think the only relationship between a Reads Sailmaker and a Sailrite Sailmaker is the word "Sailmaker"

The Sailrite Sailmaker will sew a 5mm long stitch and a 12mm wide zig zag.

From the Sailrite catalogue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SailmakerMachineAd.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	237920  
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 15:35   #33

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
This is the Reads Sailmaker.

This is a Sailrite Sailmaker.

Which was based on a Brother TZ1-B652.

I think the only relationship between a Reads Sailmaker and a Sailrite Sailmaker is the word "Sailmaker"

Bill
IIRC Sailrite sold the Reads Sailmaker before it started doing its own machines. One of Sailrite's early machines was the Yachtsman, which was a knock-off of the Reads. It used a very similar Japan Standard head, with similar modifications. At some point it also offered its own "Sailmaker" machine, which is the one you show. I feel it was ethically dubious, and certainly confusing, to use Reads' model name for their different product.

I appreciate the correction on the "Reads" spelling.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 15:50   #34

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I like the Sailrite repair and tuning DVD, really worth it if you need to adjust the timing and set it up correctly. Also you can get any spare part you may need.

Sounds silly, but I like the original LZS1. They do a great job to produce all the sewing videos, a small kick back buying the original and get everything you need for your projects.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:46   #35

Hi All, CaptVR here
Any sailboat over 30 can use a sewing machine. Back in 1978 I bought a 65' schooner "Altair" and soon discovered I had hundreds of yards of sails, covers, sun shades, ETC. and needed maintenance on virtually, everything. I looked into repairs at a sailmaker and found I needed $6-800 worth of work. So I looked for sewing machines, Sailrite was #1, but back then it was $1000 for there straight stitch. So I looked at used. One of the shops that repair was selling a machine, called Rex w/ zig zag, looked just like top of line Sailrite. Told me it held up as a good as Sailrite. I bought it, I still have it. In the last 44 years or so, we made sails for the schooner, as much as 7 layers of 5.5 oz cloth. Restitched 100's of sails for others and made a couple hundred dodgers and bimini's. Not only doing our needs, the girls made good bucks for sewing jobs on other boats throughout the Caribbean. Its still going strong, nothing has ever broke. I do a cleaning on it with electronics cleaner and lube it annually. Also lube before and big job.
Dont get me wrong, the Sailrite is a gangbuster machine, if you got a couple thou, buy it. But for around $600. you can buy a new Rex, could not find the # on mine now but looks just like the new Rex 607Z.
I have made some changes on mine. Installed new Sailrite monster wheel pulley on it, gets rid of clutch also, no slipping. Replaced the motor with new motor, has a bit more power for heavy leather, new motor on e-bay was $70. including new foot control. Also bought some beading feet for it. I've found this import a gang buster excellent buy. Still going strong after 45 years at 1/3 the price of Sailrite. If I was to open a sail loft, I would probably buy a Sailrite, but for the average boater, you cant beat this Rex for the buck.
Happy Sailing All, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS St.Petersburg, Fl.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 17:40   #36

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Using a paper stapler, (the regular hand press type used to staple papers together), is an easy way to temporarily hold cloth fabric layers together in difficult or long runs before stitching together with the sewing machine. Just pull out the staples when finished. No need for sticky tape to line up on each layer. Easy and fast. Chinese staples tend to bend if too many layers, the metal is too soft, but try it.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:42   #37

Boat: Shearwater 45 Staysail Schooner

On the subject of cost.

Have a trusted friend purchase a sailrite here in the USA, then shipped to you as a gift.
Might help on the cost and tariffs.
capemiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 15:03   #38

I researched the sailrite machines and ended up buying a Canadian version called “reliable “ the base machines are identical to the sailrite. They told me the base machine for both their and sailrite machines were both made in China , only differences were the “ extras “ and special items like flywheel . My “reliable” was much cheaper than a sailrite and works great .
Splashman237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:17   #39

You would be better off buying a new or used heavy duty or industrial machine locally. They will do everything better than the portable sailrite at same or less cost. If you need to learn how to sew take a local sewing class, it isn't rocket science or difficult and boat canvas only needs basic 101 sewing skills. A new or used industrial Consew 206 RB 1 or later version is probably half the price in your country and a much better machine. It's under $2k in the USA including table stand, motor and controller. Save the extra coin for tools and accessories instead of the overpriced sailrite. You only need straight stitch if not doing sails anyway.

If you definitely want to go miniwalker sailrite or clone I'll share this with you. I bought a straight stitch clone (looks like the REX) over 20 yrs ago as a portable backup to my two industrial machines...and partly out of curiosity. It's sewn everything on the planet concerning marine canvas. Done it without mods of any sort. The downside is the size of the arm and the class 15 bobbin limits using the larger V138 thread (same with sailrite). Never had a problem with it and its still going strong. It's still a toy in comparison to to most other machines but I would buy another in a heartbeat. The sailrite monster wheel setup is good for learning but I wouldn't get hung up on it as a must have. it just slows you down and you will grow out of it quickly...500 stitches per minute vs 900. I run my clone at full speed on long sunbrella runs and that's slow compared to most industrials.

Also, that Sailrite Sailmaker (Brother) was a stock Brother machine with $10 worth of heavy springs and thicker pressure plate for more than 2X the price. I almost bought a new one back then until doing a little research. Purchased a used 138 Pfaff industrial for $600 instead and it was much better machine.

Good luck.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 13:17   #40

Hi

We have an Omega Walking foot machine that works great. Apparently there is one company that makes machines that are marketed under 5 or 6 different names. Sailrite being one, Omega being another, the controls on ours are identical to a Sailrite, and it’s not a cheap knock off as it ways at least 45 pounds. You can google Omega and look at their machines then try and find who makes them. We have made dinghy chaps and currently redoing our patio furniture while we wait for COVID restrictions to lift. One suggestion, get a monster wheel so you can see by hand if you don’t have power, also helps with tight corners.

Good Luck

Allan
hycslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 13:00   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
It starts to get a bit much around 14 layers of sunbrella but will do it, along with all the accessories and Tenara thread.

Just curious... what would you be sewing that would have 14 layers of sunbrella?
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 14:18   #42

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The Sailmaker was originally made for Reed's in the U.K., known as the Reeds Sailmaker. When Sailrite got going they offered it in the U.S. before sourcing their own machines. It is based on a Japan Standard machine, which was a design that was shared by many Japanese manufacturers in the early post-war era, when the huge domestic apparel industry consumed large volumes of them. Mine has no indication of the manufacturer, but a local repair shop said it was a quality one (quality varied widely between manufacturers) and so might well have been made by Brother. There is a potential issue with a nylon gear which will eventually need replacement with a brass gear. Also the bobbin winder has a plastic part that can crack and fail (mine is cracked) and I was told that there is no replacement available. It is a zig-zag machine and is limited to about 4mm stitch length. The machine featured a stronger presser spring, heavier flywheel, hand crank, traction belt, and more powerful motor (and possibly some other upgrades). As others noted, it is not the best machine to use to build a sail due to the small volume under the arm and the lack of a walking foot but can be used for many sail repairs (with difficulty). I have sewn a lot of Sunbrella with it and it does well with that as well as lighter fabrics. In addition to the basic manual I got a copy of an article (by Sailrite IIRC) that explains how to adjust the machine; if anyone is interested I can scan it in and provide a PDF.

I was a bit surprised that Ann wore out her Pfaff 130: they are famously durable, and at least a few decades ago were quite repairable. My original canvas maker had one with a large industrial motor which he used regularly. The full rotary mechanism is strong and capable of great speed. They have been used by housewives, tailors, and canvas workers with great results. If you can find a good one buy it.

If you can afford it and want the best solution buy the Sailrite for the customer service and heavy duty modifications. Unless you are willing to go up to industrial machines with long arms, etc. I think buying a Chinese machine and upgrading to heavier flywheel and springs is also a good solution if you have the time to spend. As always finding a good used machine can be a great solution.

If you are buying a new machine then definitely consider a walking foot, although it isn't an absolute must. Full rotary mechanisms are also preferred to reciprocating designs as they do not need adjustments as often and they run smoother and quieter. And you want the ability for long stitches, as much as 6mm or longer, to reduce puckering with Sunbrella.

Greg
I bought a Sailrite sailmaker in 1993, installed it semi permanently in my boat Wings. I had no sewing experience or knowledge. My first sewing project was to repair some of Judy's shorts. My second project was a Kevlar radial cut racing mainsail for our boat, (from scratch, my design). Both projects were successful.

Since then I have made all of our canvas, a few sails, and heaps of sail repairs, often at sea. It does it all.

This old Sailmaker is looking a bit tatty but it works perfectly and I love it.

It does not have walking foot, but for our purposes, which includes lots of heavy duty sail repairs. it's perfect.

If you see a used Sailmaker, buy it.

Photos: It is usually in use in our forepeak, but at times I take it on deck or ashore.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1417-Fred Sewing.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	468.9 KB
ID:	243371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top 10-Sail Repair-sewing machine Vert.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	243372  

Name:	e19-191749 Sewing a big sail.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	243373  
Old 06-08-2021, 16:22   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I was a bit surprised that Ann wore out her Pfaff 130:
No more than I. However, it had a lot of use: clothing (my girlfriend taught me to sew when I was pregnant with my first child -- thanks, MA!), curtains, camping gear, for my family for about 20 yrs, followed by sail repair, cushion covers, weather cloths, wraparound skirts for people as gifts, downwind rain awnings, wind scoops -- a dodger or two: basically if it could be sewn, we sewed it.

By the way, years ago, Jim sewed the head of the spinnaker for his Yankee 30 in my house. He was inventing the spinnaker sock way back then. Made the spinny from seconds fabric. He had made some cushions before, amazing what we can do when we decide to do something, eh? There were some astonished comments from the other singlehanders racing when he first disappeared that sail! ...A commonplace sight these days.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 06-08-2021, 17:43   #44

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
...By the way, years ago, Jim sewed the head of the spinnaker for his Yankee 30 in my house. He was inventing the spinnaker sock way back then. Made the spinny from seconds fabric. He had made some cushions before, amazing what we can do when we decide to do something, eh? There were some astonished comments from the other singlehanders racing when he first disappeared that sail! ...A commonplace sight these days...
So Cool!
Old 08-08-2021, 10:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
No more than I. However, it had a lot of use: clothing (my girlfriend taught me to sew when I was pregnant with my first child -- thanks, MA!), curtains, camping gear, for my family for about 20 yrs, followed by sail repair, cushion covers, weather cloths, wraparound skirts for people as gifts, downwind rain awnings, wind scoops -- a dodger or two: basically if it could be sewn, we sewed it.

By the way, years ago, Jim sewed the head of the spinnaker for his Yankee 30 in my house. He was inventing the spinnaker sock way back then. Made the spinny from seconds fabric. He had made some cushions before, amazing what we can do when we decide to do something, eh? There were some astonished comments from the other singlehanders racing when he first disappeared that sail! ...A commonplace sight these days.

Cheers,

Ann
Im curious when the spinnaker sock was invented. I bought a used 20' Bay City sloop in 1967 that had a Ratsey Sailmakers sock onboard...same as the original build 1960 sails. I assumed the sock was developed in the 40s or 50s and later made popular by Spinnaker Sally. Pretty cool device but I managed to get a seriously tight forestay wrap the fist time I used it single handed.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite, sewing machine