Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 05:57   #16

Re: Cinkel Steering Help

Thanks we an do that Would you happen to know the phone # to call EDSON?
berdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:17   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Edson International
146 Duchaine Boulevard
New Bedford, MA 02745-1292
Tel:
508-995-9711
Fax: 508-995-5021
E-Mail: info@edsonintl.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:22   #18

Boat: Bristol 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Edson International
146 Duchaine Boulevard
New Bedford, MA 02745-1292
Tel: 508-995-9711
Fax: 508-995-5021
E-Mail: info@edsonintl.com
Thanks Gord. Actually I have been down to their place in New Bedford to pick up new engine controls for my pedestal. Real nice folks.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00   #19

Boat: Currently boatless

I just looked at the picture of the parts in the Edson brake kit (part number 689ST-456) on their web site. As I recall, the rebuilt kit I successfully installed (many years ago!) included the metal brake legs and washers. So the key measurement to verify compatibility would be the diameter of the brake shaft bushing that fits in the pedestal hole. If that matches, I'm pretty sure everything else will be fine. Of course if you don't have the hole or it's smaller, you can just drill one. (come to think of it, I think I replaced the bushing too, so everything might be compatible.

One more thing to check: the brake shoes clamp around a knurled portion of the wheel shaft, so you need need to check if the wheel shaft in your pedestal is knurled.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32   #20

One other thought--when you're doing any work inside the pedestal, be sure to block the lower portion of the post tube with a rag or something. Otherwise when (not if) you drop small parts they get trapped at the bottom of the pedestal and are a real bitch to get out. ( A hard lesson learned from personal experience!)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:46   #21

Thanks so much for your info....it is all so helpful.

Thanks Bert
berdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 20:34   #22

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop
Question Re: Cinkel Steering Help

It looks like as the Cinkel steering system gets older and older, this thread may never die! I have pulled out my entire Cinkel steering system and I need a little bit of advice from you. I had to drill one of the countersunk aluminium bolt heads to be able to remove the pedestal. So I need to find a replacement bolt. It appears to be a 4 inch bolt course threads with a one inch non threaded shoulder. My boat is an aluminium 36 foot one off Ted Brewer design built by Kanter Boat Yard in Ontario Canada in 1982 so I figure that I will have to change all four of these aluminium bolts but I need to make sure that the alloy is compatible with the aluminium base so as not to get any electrolysis from dissimilar metals and at the same time get the high tensile strength required to keep the pedestal from getting knocked over in a storm. I have found a website where I might be able to order these bolts but I would like to know if anyone has had this problem and might be able to give some advice.
ALUMINUM FASTENERS SUPPLY COMPANY
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 16:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaisail View Post
I had to drill one of the countersunk aluminium bolt heads to be able to remove the pedestal.
Hmm... I think the bolts in my pedestal are all stainless steel.
Old 24-10-2012, 07:03   #24

Boat: Bristol 34
I used the standard alum. bolts from Edson on my Cinkel. They worked fine, we're plenty long enough to go thru the 1/2 plywood I had glassed under the cockpit sole to take some of the strain. Edson of course is not in-expensive, but the mated up perfectly.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 09:53   #25

Thanks for all the help and advice about the Cinkel steering project for my boat. I managed to discover that the only aluminum bolts available appear to be sold by Edson and they are only $12 a piece which is not too bad. I would still like to know if anyone out there has been able to successfully use the brake pads from Edson on the Cinkel system from 1982. These brake pads cost $75 and I would hate to find out that they will not fit on my Cinkel system especially after paying the $50 freight charge to ship them to Thailand. I will also order the master link for the chain because the one that I pulled out was missing the little slide lock that holds the master link in place. So if anyone has had any experience with this operation, I would be pleased to hear any and all advice before placing this order.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:57   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Hmm... I think the bolts in my pedestal are all stainless steel.
I thought my bolts were stainless until I saw how easy the slot got mashed when I tried to move the seized nut. You may have stainless on yours now but be careful of corrosion from the dissimilar metals!
Old 24-10-2012, 16:51   #27

Quote:
I thought my bolts were stainless until I saw how easy the slot got mashed when I tried to move the seized nut. You may have stainless on yours now but be careful of corrosion from the dissimilar metals!
They have been there since 1984, so perhaps they are aluminum. I'll keep it in mind if I ever have to remove the pedestal--thanks.
Old 21-11-2012, 03:20   #28

I have been working on my Cinkel steering system and in the process of removing the two screws that hold the engine and gear box control section, using a torch, I managed to melt three of the plastic needle bearings! I need to know if the Edson needle bearings will work on the Cinkel system and also I would like some feed back from anyone who has used the brake rebuild kit from Edson on a Cinkel pedestal. I know that it has been a long time since that company has bought up the remaining stock of spares from Cinkel when they went under so if anyone has had luck getting spares for their Cinkel steering, please let me know.

I saw that someone had posted a mechanical drawing of the Cinkel steering but it seems that the drawing is no longer available with the link or at least I haven't figured out how to find it. So, if anyone has that drawing it would be of great help. I noticed that in the space that the needle bearings were located that there is a recessed area on top that is out of round right where the bolt hole with the threads for the aft screw hole is located. It appears to be a space where grease can be put in through the screw hole to grease the needle bearings. I just want to be sure that other Cinkel steering systems have the same open space right on top of the bearing so that I will know if the bearing area needs more machining. If the needle bearing are no longer available, perhaps someone may know what material they are made from so that I can fabricate new ones in the machine shop. I counted 19 long needle bearings and 19 short ones but there one extra short one made of stainless steel. I bought this 1982 boat in 2006 so it could be that the former owner was in there and may have used a stainless bearing to replace a broken plastic one. Knowing how many bearings are supposed to be in there would be a great help. I think the best would be to start a Cinkel restoration club and try to get find out who all the Cinkel steering owners are so that we can keep this old steering going!
Old 21-11-2012, 03:58   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~markvii/images/pedestal.gif

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 04:15   #30

Quote:
I need to know if the Edson needle bearings will work on the Cinkel system and also I would like some feed back from anyone who has used the brake rebuild kit from Edson on a Cinkel pedestal.
It fits.
Quote:
I noticed that in the space that the needle bearings were located that there is a recessed area on top that is out of round right where the bolt hole with the threads for the aft screw hole is located. It appears to be a space where grease can be put in through the screw hole to grease the needle bearings. I just want to be sure that other Cinkel steering systems have the same open space right on top of the bearing so that I will know if the bearing area needs more machining.
Mine has the space for grease also.
Quote:
I think the best would be to start a Cinkel restoration club and try to get find out who all the Cinkel steering owners are so that we can keep this old steering going!
Welcome to the club--I was the only member for years!