Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 12:54   #46

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop
Edson brake kit will not work on my Cinkle steering so if anyone with an Edson pedistal needs a new brake kit, let me know. I will have to glue new pads on my old shoes.
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 09:42   #47

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Cinkel Steering Help

Well, I've just joined the club. My morse cable hold-down snapped in half, leaving me stuck in reverse while trying to dock solo in False Creek Vancouver. I had the pleasure of solo anchoring in a crazy busy waterway to sort it out (got a friend to dinghy out and change gears with his foot).

Anyways, the cast part is broken. I've left a message with South Shore Yachts (thanks, Gord!). The part is completely different from the Edson design, so that's no help.

Has anybody else come across this? My plan is to get a local machine shop to recreate the cast part if worse comes to worst. Sounds a bit spendy, though!

Chris

cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 09:46   #48

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

[QUOTE=cwyckham;1590814]Well, I've just joined the club. My morse cable hold-down snapped in half, leaving me stuck in reverse while trying to dock solo in False Creek Vancouver. I had the pleasure of solo anchoring in a crazy busy waterway to sort it out (got a friend to dinghy out and change gears with his foot).

Anyways, the cast part is broken. I've left a message with South Shore Yachts (thanks, Gord!). The part is completely different from the Edson design, so that's no help.

Has anybody else come across this? My plan is to get a local machine shop to recreate the cast part if worse comes to worst. Sounds a bit spendy, though!

Chris

I used a pair of vice grips for 3 months on the way home when my shift/throttle lever got snapped by the mainsheet during a badly executed gybe.
Old 23-07-2014, 10:32   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I used a pair of vice grips for 3 months on the way home when my shift/throttle lever got snapped by the mainsheet during a badly executed gybe.
LOL I did exactly the same with my throttle lever for the better part of a year. Sure looked ghetto with the vice grips on there. The Edson lifters fit just fine.

Unfortunately, this isn't nearly so simple. It's the internal clamp that holds the outer sheath of the morse cable. It's located down inside the pedestal.
Old 23-07-2014, 10:56   #50

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=cwyckham;

Unfortunately, this isn't nearly so simple. It's the internal clamp that holds the outer sheath of the morse cable. It's located down inside the pedestal.[/QUOTE]

I would give you my one clamp that is not broken because I switched to a external control setup. The steering quadrant down below is also a rather cheap al casting, keep an eye on it. Thankfully an Edson cast bronze job will interchange.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2014, 11:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I would give you my one clamp that is not broken because I switched to a external control setup. The steering quadrant down below is also a rather cheap al casting, keep an eye on it. Thankfully an Edson cast bronze job will interchange.

That's a great offer, Guy! I'll PM you if South Shore Yachts doesn't have the part (they are checking now, very helpful people).

Yes, this is also an aluminum casting. In the picture you can see where the bolt that holds the cable to the chain bashed into it repeatedly. I struggle to understand this as it looks like there should be lots of clearance. It also looks a bit bent, so maybe it was bent somehow first, then was banged repeatedly by the bolt until it broke.
Old 24-07-2014, 10:43   #52

Wow. Major Cruiser's Forum win. I find a broken part in a binnacle on a 33 year old boat. The manufacturer of the boat and the binnacle are both long out of business. A google search brings me to this thread where Gord has posted somebody who bought a bunch of parts. A phone call and emailed photo later, and the part is on its way to me.

And to top it all off, Guy offered to dig the part out of his own boat and send it to me if I couldn't find it otherwise!

Wow. Thanks everyone.
Old 01-09-2014, 14:11   #53

I removed the Cinkel pedestal from my project boat this weekend as part of the rebuild of the cockpit, does this make me a potential member of the Cinkel club?
First issue is to get the pin out of the horizontal shaft so I can slide the gear wheel and remove the shaft to start the strip down. I bought a set of drifts and proceeded to gently remove the pin with a hammer. It didn't move even with increasing force and I'm concerned about causing damage, especially to my fingers!
Is there another way to get the pin out?

Cheers,

Paul
Old 01-09-2014, 14:37   #54

Boat: Ted Brewer, One off, 36' sloop

I took my Cinkel pedistal to a machine shop in Phuket and he got the pin out but damaged the gear. I managed to straighten the gear teeth later but in order to get the pin out, the machinist used an gas torch and melted the plastic bearings on each end of the shaft. I don't know if the bearings in your Cinkel are plastic needle bearings like mine because it is possible that the former owner changed them from stainless steel to plastic. I can help you a lot with your project but you will have to be patient with this job so that you don't end up like me with a disaster. I did finally fix the Cinkel but it was a very big and costly exercise. I am now aboard a car ship in mid Atlantic as a marine engineer and we will arrive in Belgium on Wednesday. I will have better internet and can help you better by email direct. My email is: thaisail (at) gmail.com
Just be patient to wait for a reply because I am working long hours and have little free time until mid October when I return to Thailand. Good luck with your Cinkel! You will need plenty!
thaisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 15:17   #55

I have a complete Cinkel pedestal and wheel (almost brand new!!) which I would be willing to part with for the right price........let the bidding wars begin ;>)
Cheers
tanton37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 16:00   #56

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

The first time I tried to pound out pin it wouldn't budge,with generous application of liquid wrench, big hammer and drift.I left it for a few months,tried again and it came out.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:25   #57

Boat: Currently boatless

Well, looks like I will need to replace the needle bearings also. They are not seized up yet, but there is a metal-on-metal grinding noise coming out when the wheel is turned. I greased the bearing when I first heard the noise, and it went away for a couple of days, but now it came back.

Thaisail--I would appreciate any lesson learned!
Old 25-02-2016, 06:13   #58

I have a 1980 Mirage 27, cinkel pedestal. at the moment i have separate controls bolted on pedestal protector? really don't like the look but boat came this way. anyone know of where to source throttle and gear controls that would fit the pedestal? Just looking, not sure that edson set up would fit.
Old 01-05-2016, 14:24   #59

Boat: Currently boatless
Cinkel steering needle bearings

So, I decided to take out the needle bearings from my 1984 Cinkel pededstal. I was able to get the stainless steel pin holding the chain sprocket to the shaft using a 1/4" pin punch and a hammer. Too a while but it came out. However, I was not successful getting the sprocket assembly off the shaft using the method recommended by Edson (holding a piece of wood against a nut threaded onto the end of the shaft and hitting it with a hammer.) Maybe it would have worked if I had hit harder, but I was afraid of breaking something. But to my surprise, I was able to take the aft needle bearings out without removing the shaft. All you have to do is remove the spiral retaining ring on the shaft and the metal washer behind it and the bearings come out.

At least in my pedestal, the needle bearings are made of some sort of white plastic. They are 3/16" in diameter and 1.5" long, and there are 19 of them, completely filling the space around the 1" shaft. All of the bearings appeared pristine--no scratches, cracks, or any signs of spalling or deformation. I'm not sure where the metal on metal rubbing sound came from, but I suspect the metal washer rubbing on the shaft or the pedestal itself. So I decided to put everything back together. I suspect that, if properly maintained (i.e., lube at least once/year with teflon grease), these bearings will last indefinitely.