Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2023, 17:47   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Classic plastic value

Hi all, it has been a while since I was on as at the moment I don't have a boat, long sad story involving COVID, jungles and what they do to wooden boats!

Anyway I am looking to replace my old boat. I have a ton of gear salvaged from my old boat including a new engine, sailing instruments and electronics, ground tackle etc etc. So looking for a hull/project boat to put it all in!

I like traditional boats but want to move from wood to plastic. I have seen a bat that looks ideal but I don't know the N American boat market at all well so struggling to assess what would be a reasonable value.

Boat is a 1978 Windjammer 34 Ketch. This design is based on the Colin Archer sailing lifeboats and was a precursor to the Westsail 32 by the same company and designer.

The good news seems to be that the hull is sound and has had the deck replaced. The interior looks in good order with no evidence of leaks.

The less good news is a Yanmar 3gm, low hours but it is a sea water cooled 20yr old engine that was fitted as a rebuilt unit in about 2003. It is under powered for the boat plus only rated for a 30A alternator and probably deteriorated due to lack of use.
Rigging is of unknown date with some peacemeal replacement, also has a failed spreader, probably all needs replacing
Instruments/electronics are old and basic
Electrical system is likely very basic and close to 10yrs old so again probable need substantial replacement

The sails are a mix, some good some will need replacing.
Not really a project but definitely in need of some significant work.

While I can say what she is worth 'to me' and that she is just the sort of boat I am looking for plus all the gear I salvaged from my last boat will fit so I can do a relatively cheap refit I still don't want to get ripped off. She was last surveyed in 2003 when her market value was assessed at 42,500 and is now for sale at significantly less than that.

What does anyone think, bargain or not?

PS I am well capable of doing any refit work myself so not at all daunted by the prospect.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 21:55   #2

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Classic plastic value

Well, if it's being sold for $25,000, let's say, then I'd say it's probably a reasonable price -- you can always bargain based on your assesment and how eager you feel the seller is to part with the boat.

For what it's worth, I purchased our Westsail 32, the last Westsail hull ever made, and launched in 1987, for $25,000 in 2021. It didn't have any major issues, much like the boat you describe, just lots of aging systems and hardware that, while in good order, was due for upgrades. I think we could have offered $20,000 or even a little less, and the owner would have happily accepted. However, the PO was the sole owner and man who built the boat, had taken good care of the boat, was honest and open with us, and I thought his price was fair, so I didn't haggle.

One thing I will say is that a the teak deck is a potential can of worms depending on the condition. Ultimately I talked myself out of a Baba 30 because of its teak deck, and am very happy with the plastic deck on our W32.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2023, 23:30   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A 20 year old survey isn't worth much. If you had nothing to bring to this boat, what would you be willing to pay? Without any pictures it is hard to say, but what you describe is a project boat to just about anyone. It's a buyer's market, sadly for the owner I don't think it is worth too much.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 00:05   #4

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
One thing I will say is that a the teak deck is a potential can of worms depending on the condition. Ultimately I talked myself out of a Baba 30 because of its teak deck, and am very happy with the plastic deck on our W32.

Thanks for a useful reply. I have had teak decks before and know the potential problems but this on was replaced recently with 1" boards epoxy bonded to a ply sub-deck so should be good.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 00:39   #5

According to your interest and abilities that would be a good project for you to consider. I am sure you will do good!!
Old 18-11-2023, 04:48   #6

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

There is value in the deck repair, if that is the kind of boat you like, want and have the skills, the time and the place to work on.

What will happen to your financial future if you get "ripped off?"
Will you be penny-less or not become a multimillionaire?

I would pay the asking price, happy knowing that the seller went to their grave regretting they did not ask for more.
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 12:19   #7

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Boat is a 1978 Windjammer 34 Ketch. This design is based on the Colin Archer sailing lifeboats and was a precursor to the Westsail 32 by the same company and designer.
PS I am well capable of doing any refit work myself so not at all daunted by the prospect.
Well, the precursor of the Westsail was the Kendall.
The Kendall had a raised/flush deck as per the original William Atkin design from the 1920s.
The Windjammers came along years after the Westsails. The hulls were built by Crystaliner, (who built the original Westsail hulls).
There were two Windjammer hulls being owner-finished in a yard that I was in, one of the owners had built a small trunk cabin instead of the flush deck.
I always liked them, that extra two feet really opens-up the interior, and no doubt gives them better performance than the Westsail.
There were very few made, they're a rare sight indeed.
Given your abilities they can make a fine cruiser.
I'm too far out-of-the-loop to make any suggestions as to price.

Tags
classic