Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 15:32   #1

"Classic" Spartan Seacocks... drip ...

I've just bought a classic Pearson ... Most of the seacocks have been replaced, but it still has a couple Spartan bronze seacocks from the 60s (probably original to the boat). They are the type where they are closed a 0 degrees and 180 degrees, but open at 90.
Anyway, there is a very slight water leak (not even what you'd consider a drip ... just some obvious moisture) coming from the handle valve joint. Is this "normal" for such an old seacock? Any chance of catastrophic failure (the flange nut and outer nut are tight and never coming off!).
Is there anything that I can do to try to "seal" it until I get the boat out of the water and address it on the hard?
Thanks!
sailgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 15:49   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: "Classic" Spartan Seacocks... drip ...

Maine Sail has a good article on his web site.
>>> Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Old 15-12-2011, 15:54   #3

Boat: Westsail 32

Spartan seacocks are amongst the best ever made, maybe they need to be lapped, give Spartan a call to discuss they are very helpful.
Old 15-12-2011, 16:52   #4

Thanks. Don't get me wrong ... I'm psyched that they are Spartans... I just thought that "classic" was a better word than OLD !
sailgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 17:31   #5

Boat: Westsail 32

Recently serviced Spartan Seacocks on a 1967 Cape Dory they were as good as the day they were installed.
Old 15-12-2011, 17:52   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailgreen View Post
Most of the seacocks have been replaced, but it still has a couple Spartan bronze seacocks from the 60s (probably original to the boat). They are the type where they are closed a 0 degrees and 180 degrees, but open at 90.
Anyway, there is a very slight water leak (not even what you'd consider a drip ... just some obvious moisture) coming from the handle valve joint. Is this "normal" for such an old seacock? Any chance of catastrophic failure (the flange nut and outer nut are tight and never coming off!).
Is there anything that I can do to try to "seal" it until I get the boat out of the water and address it on the hard?
Thanks!
Wow, lots of questions. Taper seacocks like Spartan, Wilcox-Crittenden and Blake were designed to last at least 30 years. Groco even copied the idea but with a rubber taper. You can still get info from the Spartan, Bronze and Stainless Marine Hardware, Seacocks, Portholes, Thru Hulls - Spartan Marine Hardware and Accessories to service your seacocks.
Depending on where it's leaking from is the issue. If the taper "lock" is loose they'll leak, but is easily remedied. (This sounds like the problem) If there's crud in the taper, opening and closing it a number of time might fix the issue. Make sure the lock is loosened of before trying to move the lever.
Look at the color of the seacock, if "pink" head for high ground, green is okay and brown or black is best. Our boat has Spartan, Groco (with the rubber) and new ball lock Grocos. I've actually replaced 2 of the newer ones as the balls tend to freeze up. It's too bad they stop making these tapered seacocks (seacox = Wilcox-Crittenden) as they were rebuildable even while in the water.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 17:55   #7

BTB, these through-hull, seacocks were/are the Rolex of fittings.

Old 15-12-2011, 18:46   #8

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

My '78 Pearson has two of these tapered seacocks as cockpit drains. One on each side of the engine. They haven't been cycled in ages I'm sure and show some green corrosion.

The handle is different from the Spartan's illustrated in Maine sails tutorial. They are more like a wrench shape. But I feel sure they are original.

I have been afraid to try to cycle them so far.

If I knew how to service them in the water I would, as they are currently open all the time. As is, they serve no purpose, so I'd like to fix them.

I don't understand how they can be serviced in the water, unless one simply takes them apart and plugs the lower part of the body with something. Is that the case?
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2011, 05:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
The handle is different from the Spartan's illustrated in Maine sails tutorial. They are more like a wrench shape. But I feel sure they are original.
They're not Spartans, probably Wilcox-Crittenden.

Quote:
I don't understand how they can be serviced in the water, unless one simply takes them apart and plugs the lower part of the body with something. Is that the case?
You need to have a spare thimble, pull the old one, slide the rebuilt one in. Done. You can google tapered seacocks to find a plethora of information. The down side is that there are no replacement parts being manufactured.