Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2020, 11:02   #31

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Cleaning off epoxy? Use vinegar

I also have large hands so I have to use latex, I can't get my hands into extra large Nitrile gloves but have no problem with up to 3 latex gloves.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 08:08   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I use industrial talc as a filler. Also works on sweaty hands.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:21   #33

Boat: Rhodes 22

Just as a warning, talc can obtain asbestos. I use corn starch based products instead.
SpringHollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:42   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

That is something I did not know, or would have ever tried, cleaning off epoxy with vinegar? Thanks for the great tip. It is good for taking the itch out of insect bites especially mosquito bites!
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 09:47   #35
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

You can thicken epoxy with corn starch? Might be worth trying.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 15:37   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I assume you are joking.
No - acetone is sold as nail polish remover for natural nails. As you would expect they add fragrances to some brands. It is no good for the fake acrylic nails as it melts them[emoji6]
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2020, 17:35   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus Safdari View Post
I am kinda surprised by the number of folks who don't keep a jug of plain white vinegar aboard. It is great for removing epoxy (not to mention wash off jellyfish stingers), far safer than acetone and denatured alcohol and not flammable either
We use vinegar in many ways. Our number one goto cleaner for general wipe down is 2-3 parts vinegar to 1 part 409 or other de-greaser/cleaner. Warmed vinegar is also a reasonable aid to removing hard water spots on the bottom of our bridge deck on our cat prior to any re-waxing.
Old 17-08-2020, 18:29   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineteen View Post
No - acetone is sold as nail polish remover for natural nails. As you would expect they add fragrances to some brands. It is no good for the fake acrylic nails as it melts them[emoji6]

Obviously. But that does NOT make it a "skin care" product, which is what you said, implying that it is good for your skin. In fact it dries out your skin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_dermatitis

https://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-...in-irritants#1
Old 18-08-2020, 04:17   #39

Boat: Deerfoot 61

I do a lot of epoxy work. I buy West Systems in 55 gallon drums. There is hardly a day I'm not using it. I always try to keep it off me and wear gloves. Occasionally I get a bit on an arm or on my hands, but not often. In more than 25 years using it, I've never developed any reaction or allergy to it, thankfully.

I buy alcohol in 5 gallon drums and use it to clean up fin rollers, plastic buckets, and application tools. I've tried using vinegar and found it does not work for me. Perhaps it works for some, for small jobs.

Sure acetone works, but its evaporation rate is too fast for me. When I'm working with epoxy, I often have a container with alcohol that I'm dipping shop paper towels into or cleaning tools in. I keep this container covered when not using it and just top it up when I need to. Acetone evaporates quickly and does not work as well for me. More recently acetone seems easier to obtain at marine stores, as compared with alcohol, which they seem to not stock these days.

At the end of the day, try the different approaches and see what works for you. For me, it's alcohol.

Cheers
tdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 10:12   #40

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdunlap View Post
I do a lot of epoxy work. I buy West Systems in 55 gallon drums. There is hardly a day I'm not using it. I always try to keep it off me and wear gloves. Occasionally I get a bit on an arm or on my hands, but not often. In more than 25 years using it, I've never developed any reaction or allergy to it, thankfully.

I buy alcohol in 5 gallon drums and use it to clean up fin rollers, plastic buckets, and application tools. I've tried using vinegar and found it does not work for me. Perhaps it works for some, for small jobs.

Sure acetone works, but its evaporation rate is too fast for me. When I'm working with epoxy, I often have a container with alcohol that I'm dipping shop paper towels into or cleaning tools in. I keep this container covered when not using it and just top it up when I need to. Acetone evaporates quickly and does not work as well for me. More recently acetone seems easier to obtain at marine stores, as compared with alcohol, which they seem to not stock these days.

At the end of the day, try the different approaches and see what works for you. For me, it's alcohol.

Cheers
You might want to try both vinegar and alcohol. Vinegar wash first stops the reaction and makes it easier to wash the rest with alcohol.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, epoxy