Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50   #16

Different from Ospho and Wichinox..

Different Chemicals than both Wichinox and Ospho. Both of these use Phosphoric Acid which is a good rust remover but will not remove the "free iron". Ospho is used where I live to remove rust on Carbon Steel (barges) before applying a coating such as paint. Phosphoric Acid will not remove "free iron" also confirmed by ASTM A 970 and Ospho. Give them a call.. Great product for removing rust from Carbon Steel. They have been around for a very long time. I have never used it on Stainless.. I have used Wichinox with good success. We were looking for an easier way and more protection this is why we began working with different chemistry. We are working with surface Chemists who have long experience with cleaning/extending the life of Stainless Steel in aerospace, food processing and pharma. The standard for removing rouge (rust), "free iron" and enabling a protective layer over the Stainless is quite high in these industries. Especially in products (food/pharma) digested by humans.

Hmmm.. I thought the photos show the metal to be shiny.. Maybe I need to do more crusing or take a photography class. Obviously we are not professional photographers.

The welds in the photo are from the anchor carrier of a boat in eastern NC. I don't think the carrier was polished stainless. The owner recently purchased the boat and told us the Stainless has not been cleaned in over 20 years. At one time there was wood and varnish on carrier. Spotless Stainless will not remove varnish or wood. It has been over three months and the welds look the same as in the after photo. I speak with the owner monthly. He is quite pleased and using Spotless Stainless on all his Stainless.

We have had good success with stainless after cleaning and get months before we see rust spots re-appearing. The spotting gets less and less as we continue to bath our Stainless with Spotless Stainless. We are in salt water.

Nick we love Sundeers! They are the most beautiful boats I have ever been around. At one time we were considering a Sundeer 56. We have a soft spot for Dashew's boats..

Thanks all for your comments and good luck..

cheers
-allen
spotless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38   #17

Can I put it in a tub and drop all the parts in it for 30 min soaking then rinse off? I ask because I have buckets of parts.

Thanks
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:40   #18

My above question was directed to spotless.
Old 09-11-2009, 13:05   #19

Yes in a tub - We use a small plastic container.

Yes, we use a small container.. This is the way we clean bolts such as chain plate bolts that attach to the hull, sail track bolts, loose hardware such as pelican clips and stainless hardware like screws, bolts - anything made with Stainless Steel. We place the stainless in a container and pour (or brush) spotless stainless until the surface is fully exposed.

We put hardware such as pelican clips and shackles that are attached to halyards ... in a bath using a container - We do not remove the lines. Same amount as brushing you want the surface of the Stainless to be placed in a bath. Essentially Spotless Stainless places Stainless in a bath whether it is brushed on or Stainless placed in a container. It was designed to adhere to vertical surfaces and keep the Stainless in the solution.

cheers
Old 09-11-2009, 13:10   #20

Do you sell an industrial size 2 gal or larger container?
Old 09-11-2009, 13:24   #21

Yes we can..
Old 16-11-2009, 14:34   #22

Boat: Jeanneau, SO 42.1 "Far Niente"
I just tried this product with impressive if not outsatanding results. A rusty shackle was spotless in less than 30 minutes with no elbow grease. Just brush on and wait. OUTSTANDING!!
Old 16-11-2009, 17:29   #23

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I use 3M Metal Restorer and Polish. Wipe the pink cream on with your finger, spread it around, then attack it with the Fein Multimaster using the felt polishing pad. I'm talking serious corrosion being reduced to pure gleam.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 17:31   #24

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Flitz metal polish!
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2009, 22:49   #25

Boat: Cooper 60 Pilothouse Sloop
I have always used "Mr. Sheen" domestic furniture polish on Chrome and stainless. It's a wipe on /wipe off cleaner. When used on crome it brings up a bluish hue. It looks great and is easy to use and excellent on stainless. It also repels water. ( I suspect it has silicone in it as well, but not sure.) - Oh,..... and its afordable.

(From Wikipedia) it is a brand of cleaning materials (chiefly floor and furniture polish) created in Australia in the 1950s by Samuel Taylor Pty Ltd. It is available in many other countries around the world.
Mr. Sheen furniture polish is also a degreaser, and is often used for these properties by motorcyclists.
windships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 06:51   #26

Boat: pilot cutter
Steel wool and elbow grease cleans rust from stainless steel. It is amazing how many people on what one would think of as an 'environmentally friendly' craft such as a sailboat immediately reach for chemicals.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 07:21   #27

Steel wool?? Surely not STEEL wool That will cause rust like crazy
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 08:08   #28

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Maybe the elbow grease has some special agent that removes the iron molecules. Otherwise.........
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 14:24   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Indeed, steel wool is an absolute no-no. A good stainless shop even has special tools for stainless that never touch normal steel. Also, the steel wool would be too abrasive. If you like elbow grease, the most aggressive product I would use is that NeverDull; impregnated wadding.

I think I brought it up and also someone else but it doesn't seem to catch on, so I'll repeat it: get one og those car-sponges with the plastic netting around it (for cleaning bugs from the car) and try that with soapy water on your stainless. You deal with 99% of the stains at no significant effort; I've not found anything outperforming that for 1st phase on stainless... well, may be the pressure washer for the welds is as the same effectiveness level.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 15:30   #30

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
These are what you need.