Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 17:16   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Cockpit Clock

Being an old analouge kind of guy (albeit in a digital profession), I am rather fond of analouge clocks. So I am kind of sad that our cockpit clock has died. I can't find a replacement for it, and I am nearly at the point of pulling it out and seeing if I can install another mechanism in it, but before I do I thought I would ask if any CF members know of a source of such a clock. Particularly as ours is pretty scuffed and faded.

Everything I have found online so far has been some kind of brass display clock, for cabin use, whereas this one is a panel mount outdoor model, which is what we need.

Here is a really bad picture of the clock, but hopefully it conveys the sort of thing I am looking for.

Any ideas?

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock.png
Views:	216
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	75209  
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 17:28   #2

Re: Cockpit clock

I just did a DuckDuckgo search for analog outdoor clocks. Amazing how many are out there.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 17:32   #3

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

That appears to be a VDO clock. I can't tell what size it is. If you want a standard 2-1/16" (52mm) diameter clock then that is no problem: check out eBay and Amazon for "vdo clock" or "VDO cockpit clock". Should cost about $50. If it is the larger size then you might contact VDO for repair -I don't think they make larger ones at this time.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 18:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I just did a DuckDuckgo search for analog outdoor clocks. Amazing how many are out there.
Help me here, I am feeling silly but I can not see anything promising. Any good links?
Old 02-02-2014, 18:07   #5

What diameter are you looking for?

Greg
Old 02-02-2014, 18:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
That appears to be a VDO clock. I can't tell what size it is. If you want a standard 2-1/16" (52mm) diameter clock then that is no problem: check out eBay and Amazon for "vdo clock" or "VDO cockpit clock". Should cost about $50. If it is the larger size then you might contact VDO for repair -I don't think they make larger ones at this time.

Greg
Yes, much bigger than the standard 52mm round face clocks unfortunately. But I think you are right in saying it is a VDO.

If it needs to be repaired I will replace the mechanism with a battery operated movement as the current one requires house power. Not ideal.

Matt
Old 02-02-2014, 18:10   #7

Quote:
What diameter are you looking for?

Greg
Ah, yes, that's a really relevant question... er... at a guess somewhere around 120mm?

Or maybe 100...

Matt
Old 02-02-2014, 18:15   #8

That would be 110mm, the VDO standard large size. Pretty certain it is no longer manufactured. I'll look around a bit but I wouldn't get my hopes up - it was not very popular. Very high quality - I had a 52mm in the cockpit for 30 years and it kept great time. (Still did when I passed it on to another cruiser.)

Greg
Old 02-02-2014, 18:24   #9

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

I have had great success rebuilding clocks using a movement bought on Amazon.
Just search Clock Movement ...

Take apart your existing clock and carefully measure the length of the shafts of the 3 hands and the length total to the face, then choose one. The real cheap ones are crap, but for between 9 and 20 dollars you can get a surprisingly good one. Battery change once per year. Use your old hands if they fit, and they should.
Old 02-02-2014, 18:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
I have had great success rebuilding clocks using a movement bought on Amazon.
Just search Clock Movement ...

Take apart your existing clock and carefully measure the length of the shafts of the 3 hands and the length total to the face, then choose one. The real cheap ones are crap, but for between 9 and 20 dollars you can get a surprisingly good one. Battery change once per year. Use your old hands if they fit, and they should.
Great idea, I even have a genuine Swiss movement available for the job, but the lens on the clock is very scratched and worn, and difficult to read in some situations, so I'd dearly love to replace the clock, even if I subsequently then replace the movement as well.

Matt
Old 02-02-2014, 18:28   #11

Quote:
That would be 110mm, the VDO standard large size. Pretty certain it is no longer manufactured. I'll look around a bit but I wouldn't get my hopes up - it was not very popular. Very high quality - I had a 52mm in the cockpit for 30 years and it kept great time. (Still did when I passed it on to another cruiser.)

Greg
Greg, thanks, you have at least given me a good clue there, I had not thought to add the diameter to my searching. I will give that a go.

Matt
Old 02-02-2014, 18:46   #12

You can probably polish out the scratches. You might consider that. It is not that difficult, if a bit time-consuming.

Greg
Old 02-02-2014, 18:51   #13

Quote:
You can probably polish out the scratches. You might consider that. It is not that difficult, if a bit time-consuming.

Greg
I suppose so. Did something similar once with my old Fairmont polycarbonate headlights... I suppose the same procedure could work..., various wet and dry papers, down to toothpaste in the end. Certainly a smaller job than the car headlights..

YES! Good idea, if I can't find a replacement I will try that, combined with my very nice battery operated movement...

Matt
Old 02-02-2014, 19:21   #14

I came up empty - nothing found in that size. Not really too surprising.

I would polish the bezel and agree with gilana about putting in a new movement, although I would do it a bit differently. I would buy a current 52mm VDO clock and use its movement in the old housing. That would optimize the chances of the old hands fitting on the new movement. Also, I personally prefer using the ship's 12VDC, which I supply through a pair of diodes and fuses directly to both battery banks so it doesn't get shut off.

Back when I had a Datsun 240Z I had problems with the old electric clock. I removed its guts and put in a VDO quartz movement. The old hands didn't fit so I carefully glued the old hands on top of the new ones. The results looked stock, other than the fact that I now had a sweep second hand. It kept great time as well.

Greg
Old 02-02-2014, 19:29   #15

If the polishing doesn't work out then contact VDO for a replacement bezel. Or perhaps look for a tach of the same vintage and rescue the bezel.

Greg

Tags
cockpit