Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2015, 10:24   #31

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Re: Cockpit drains

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Martin, Reading your posts, I get the feeling that you've never been around boats and you bought this boat as your first boat and as a project. I suggest finding a way to see how other boats are configured and talking to local boat owners and asking questions before you begin work on your project boat.

Also, there are some pretty good books out there for beginning boaters that explain the different parts and systems.

It's fine to ask questions on a boating forum but the dangers are that the person answering your question may not understand what you are saying because you are using incorrect terminology or the person answering may be giving you bad information because he or she doesn't know how it should be done in the first place.

There seems to be enough GOOD information in these post, that I'm not seeing your point.
Are you saying that posters on CF, give bad info.
I've seen very little questionable commentary.
Cheers

Sent from my iPad SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 11:55   #32

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
There seems to be enough GOOD information in these post, that I'm not seeing your point.
Are you saying that posters on CF, give bad info.
I've seen very little questionable commentary.
Cheers

Go back and re-read my post. Read it slowly and try not to read anything into my post that's not there in black and white.
Old 18-03-2015, 12:27   #33

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Lots of posts here condemning using the same through-hull for cockpit drains and bilge pump outlet. I can't see why not though. That's how mine have been set up (two through-hulls, two drains, and a T'ed in hose on each running to one of the two bilge pumps (manual and electric, each with a high syphon break on them)) and it's been fine for the last 8 years or so despite considerable use (being pooped in heavy weather) and abuse (getting full of leaves, soil, and at one point a dead flying fish that worked it's way in there!). What's the rationale of those who warn against having it set up like this?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:41   #34

Boat: Clipper Marine 23

Please don't argue, it will not further the thread or my or anyone else's knowledge.

It is true I an new to sailing and anything past 14' in boating at all. I have read extensively but most of the information is very general in nature, they all referred to the cockpit drains as a total part of "scupper" and there are multiple parts to the scupper and that is what I am slowly learning.

Example, it seemed perfectly logical to me to run the bilge line the the cockpit system and not add holes to the boat, and the boot said nothing. The one guy here in town with a White Potter 19 has no bilge pump at all. NOW I know this is a very bad idea and also why, thank you all for the information and education.

I do have the general advantage in maintenance as I have years in maintenance as a millwright fixing a sawmill daily. I know it isn't a boat, but a lot of the skills are the same and pride in your work never changes, just the job.

Hopefully by late fall or winter we will be moving to the area of Hayden island in Portland where most sailing is do here in Oregon on the Columbia.

Thank you everyone for your help and opinions.
Martin
martin0759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:47   #35

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Go back and re-read my post. Read it slowly and try not to read anything into my post that's not there in black and white.

or the person answering may be giving you bad information because he or she doesn't know how it should be done in the first place.

That comment. Is the offensive one, things are done in many differing ways, with differing products.
This requires reasoning.
Your statement requires only assumption.
Even authors of those books, are not always up on new products/procedures, ideas, or experience that many professionals in the field are.
No Offense intended.

Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 12:58   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin0759 View Post
.......... it seemed perfectly logical to me to run the bilge line the the cockpit system and not add holes to the boat, ...........
Holes in boats are not unusual and the ones above the waterline (like a bilge pump outlet) are of little concern. It's only the holes below the waterline that are a concern and one would hope to never see one without a properly installed, marine rated seacock to shut them when necessary.

My boat has three "holes" below the waterline and eleven above. Actually fifteen if you count the vents. It was built that way by a reputable boat builder.
Old 18-03-2015, 17:09   #37

Ron it did seem perfectly logical, but I was wrong after more reading and research. I was making both a statement and asking a question. I now have my answer and a better understanding. Combining two critical system to keep the water out of the boat reduces reliability of both systems and gets rid of all redundancy.

Thank you
Martin
martin0759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2015, 12:24   #38

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55
Best hose for cockpit scuppers?

The cockpit scuppers do have seacocks on them at the hull but are WAY below water line (about 3 feet, straight down from the center cockpit so perhaps 8 foot of hose). the hose is 1.5" ID

Currently there is the normal sanitation hose (It happens to be black rather than white but same construction technique).

The hose is now 25 years old and I am re-working the engine room which these go through.

I have seen people recommend

White sanitation hose (probably not sufficient)
wire wound sanitation hose
fuel fill hose
exhaust hose (wire wound)

There is a 90 degree turn at the bottom through a bulkhead on each one so probably can't use the non-wire version of exhaust hose.
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 18:56   #39

The scuppers are done thank you all for all you advise. Once mother nature decided to cooperate a little, they are completely installed. And I learned a huge volume. Once again thank you everyone for any advise.

Martin

Now on to the handrails, but that is a different thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0541.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	99822   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0538.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	99823  

Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0544.jpg