Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2006, 08:36   #16

Boat: Caliber 40 - LaLeLu
Our boat came with more canvas then we know what to do with. The PO didn't like the color of the canvas that was on the boat when he purchased it (Maroon) so he got a new set of everything in beige: dodger, bimini, connecter, zip out eisenglass panels, zip out screen panels - he even bought a new main and genny b/c the old had the maroon sunbrella (both sails are furling, so they have a sunbrella edge). The old stuff is in great condition - hardly used at all. We have a full set of canvas on the boat - in beige, and a full maroon set at home (stuffed under all the beds with the old sails). I think we need to buy a second boat to store all the xtra canvas in. Most of the time we just leave the screens/eisenglass panels out. It is nice to have the option for a screened in cockpit. For me, canvas enclosures rate right up there with velcro and fleece.
LaLeLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 14:36   #17

Coming from a racing background it was hard to imagine how nice it would be to have some cover from the weather. Don't think I could give up the canvas now. We have a dodger and bimini with side curtains that can fully enclose the center cockpit. It also came with full screens to keep the bugs at bay. Our set up is nice in that you can dress it as much as you want.

Love the full enclosure, we won't go back. Cold and wet is over-rated.

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 10:59   #18

Boat: Catalina,Capri 22,
Re: Cockpit Enclosures

I have just recently become aware of full cockpit enclosures on sailboats, while taking a 10 day trip on Lake Huron. The flies were enough to make me a believer! We have a 23 foot Seaward that is equipped nicely, and would like to keep it, but more room would be nice. Therefore we are considering adding a full cockpit enclosure to make the boat seem bigger. The idea of sleeping in the cockpit on cool nights without worrying about being rained on and bugs sounds good.
bigpapaporsche is offline   Reply With Quote