Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2020, 17:22   #1

Boat: Cole 23
Cole 23 refit

Hello,

I have picked up a Cole 23, that has seen better days. I am planning a somewhat significant refit.
I was hoping to reach out to the sailing community to assist with any resources might be available for this old girl. I have found a brochure that was created in the '80s. however, I am hoping to get my hands on a manual of sorts that will help me through the process.

I need all new mast fittings, and I do not have the luxury of replacing like for like, as most hardware is missing, including the rudder.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.
Here is a photo after a few weekends of cleaning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_164714.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	213050
sneale80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 19:37   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Cole 23 refit

G'Day and welcome to CF.

Sailboat data has a good photo and line drawings of the boat... should be some help. And Northshore, the builder, may still have a presence in Oz.

A general hint: filling out your profile with your details will often help us respond to your queries. In particular, your location is important when you are asking about resources.

Good luck with the project... it is a nice looking little boat, albeit a 10 foot beam seems a bit extreme for a 23 foot trailer sailor... a bit wide for easy trailering!

Jim
Old 16-04-2020, 20:53   #3

Hi Jim,

I appreciate your reply and thanks for the tips on this forum site.
I have seen the Sailboat data page, this is good for overall info about the boat, I will try to get in contact with Northshore, that is a good idea.

This is the fixed keel version of the Cole 23, so not trailerable.
thanks again,

Simon.
Old 16-04-2020, 22:07   #4

Simon, do you have the mast? If not, the rig from any similar sized yacht should be usable with only minor mods. The transom hung rudder from another similar design will likely suffice as well... these things are not as critical as some "experts" will tell you.

When refurbed, that should make a good day sailor/weekender for Moreton Bay and environs... a run up to Mooloolaba not at all out of the question, and with her numbers, a WAGS race or two might show up some her competitors.

Have fun, and keep the questions and progress reports coming.

Jim
Old 16-04-2020, 22:24   #5

Hi Jim,

Yes I am looking forward to seeing what she is capable of.
It does has a mast, minus all standing rigging, mast fittings, even spreaders. it does have a boom and goose neck, and it came with 2 mainsails, 4 foresails, and a spinnaker, minus a spinnaker pole.
It was an abandoned vessel that I picked up from the auctions for a steal.

It has a timber rudder assembly from a different boat, so my first option will be to use the gudgeons and redesign the entire assembly.

Thanks again.

Simon.
Old 18-04-2020, 18:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneale80 View Post
Hi Jim,

Yes I am looking forward to seeing what she is capable of.
It does has a mast, minus all standing rigging, mast fittings, even spreaders. it does have a boom and goose neck, and it came with 2 mainsails, 4 foresails, and a spinnaker, minus a spinnaker pole.
It was an abandoned vessel that I picked up from the auctions for a steal.

It has a timber rudder assembly from a different boat, so my first option will be to use the gudgeons and redesign the entire assembly.

Thanks again.

Simon.
Hi Simon,
I raced regularly against a fixed keel Cole 23 called "Deb" in Darwin in the late 70's early 80's: it was a little rocket-ship up to 10-12 knots wind; suffered in more breeze though. I don't think they are 10ft wide though; there was a centre-board one up there too that was trailed without any special permit. If you have to buy fittings just about anything should be off the shelf for that size boat. If you can find just a profile drawing including the rudder you should be able to guesstimate dimensions near enough, and you don't have to worry about being able to raise it!
Did I see you in Bum's Bay a month or two ago?
Rgds
Draughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 23:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
Hi Simon,
I raced regularly against a fixed keel Cole 23 called "Deb" in Darwin in the late 70's early 80's: it was a little rocket-ship up to 10-12 knots wind; suffered in more breeze though. I don't think they are 10ft wide though; there was a centre-board one up there too that was trailed without any special permit. If you have to buy fittings just about anything should be off the shelf for that size boat. If you can find just a profile drawing including the rudder you should be able to guesstimate dimensions near enough, and you don't have to worry about being able to raise it!
Rgds
I have no experience with the boat. The 10 foot beam number was from Sailboatdata.com. they may well have it wrong, for the line drawings don't look so extreme, and trailer beam limits must have been available to the designer and builder.

Still looks a nice TS type boat!

Jim
Old 19-04-2020, 00:27   #8

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

First bit of "big" boat sailing was in a fixed keel Cole 23.
Very generous size for a small boat.
Much more comfort than the 30fter we stepped into next.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 03:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
Hi Simon,
Rgds
Hi Draughty,

Yes, I picked it up from the watetways authority. I had it anchored in Bum's Bay for a short time to get the mast down and find a working motor.

What do you mean by "don't have to worry about not being able to raise it"?

Tags
refit