Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 20:56   #16

Boat: Columbia, Sloop, 45
Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser6003
Re: Columbia 45 Refit / Restore

OK, I am a bit biased but the C-45 is a terrific boat. I have hull #98 with the Perkins 85hp. I can tell you that I too consider the engine a safety feature, and I also expect it to start EVERY time. I have powered back off a mudflat/sandbar several times (West coast FL sailor) and have found the extra HP a godsend. Do yourself a favor and find a Perkins 85 or similar.

I always motor/sail unless the admiral wants pure quiet. She IS a motor sailer and carrys very little sail (694 sqft) for her size. In more robust winds I might purely sail more often but in a light breeze she is a slug.

That said, in a stiff blow or in really crappy weather she is a tremendous boat. Mine has cruised the Caribbean for most of her life and is a proven bluewater boat. I have lived aboard for more than 4 years and she feels like a small apt on the water. BIG windows (storm windows a must) make you feel on the water not a cave.

There is NO keel corrosion. NONE... there is corrosion of the keel strongbacks inside the hull BUT they are an easy replacement and NOT expensive if you know how to turn a wrench.

Feel safe with the C-45...great boat.

Joel Wilkins
m/s Miss Magoo
C-45, #98
Treasure Is, FL
m/s Miss Magoo, Columbia 45, #98
cruiser6003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 17:42   #17

Boat: Columbia 41

I live on my Columbia 41. It came with a Perkins 4-108 with very low hours. It had been on the hard stand for most of its life. I would question going with a larger engine (Perkins 4-236) for only one reason. It takes a fully charged battery to thurn over the P 4-108 when it is cold. It must take a lot of juice to fire up an even larger displacement engine. Also, the larger engine will have a higher fuel consumption per hour and turn a larger prop. So you might want to buy a folding prop to minimize drag.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 20:45   #18

Boat: Columbia, Sloop, 45
Send a message via Yahoo to cruiser6003
I have the Perkins 4-236 motor and she will easily start on a group 24. I know cuz I've had to jump it with one. Standard, mine came with 4 batts in 2 banks which can be paralleled so I never worry about being able to turn it over. As to fuel consumption, I burn 3/4 to 1 gallon per hour depending on speed. About 1000 nm range on motor alone.
m/s Miss Magoo, Columbia 45, #98
cruiser6003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 22:49   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

The Columbia 45 is still one of the toughest bilt boats ever made!! Heavy to the point of almost to much ! LOL but they are great cruisers! they ARE really a motor sailer, and a larger, lighter engine is a good addition if you are able to afford one. as is a genny as you have the room and the ease of getting it in the engine room. Its hard to beat the room and the ease of getting in and out of the interior of the boat !! Connie and I have looked at a couple of them lately, one we wanted is currently has an offer on it we were a little late but maybe next time !! we like em ourselfs !! good boats for liveaboard cruisers. just our 2 cents

Tags
columbia, columbia 45, restoration