Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2011, 14:07   #1

Colvin Gazelle Project

Hello, i am new to the form. I bought a gazelle haul about 5 years ago and am looking for other owners for some advice. Please let me know if any of you are out there! Thanks
RRS Lake MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 21:58   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Colvin Gazelle Project

Buy Colvins book...Steel Boat building.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 06:29   #3

Hello Celestialsailor, thanks for the reply. I have the book and am actually reading it now. What I would really like to do is find someone that has a Gazelle who would let me come put and take a look at it. I feel it would help me immensely to see a completed example. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...
Old 20-10-2011, 06:54   #4

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRS Lake MI View Post
Hello Celestialsailor, thanks for the reply. I have the book and am actually reading it now. What I would really like to do is find someone that has a Gazelle who would let me come put and take a look at it. I feel it would help me immensely to see a completed example. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...
I agree totally with your approach. Unfortunately a Gazelle is a rarity now-a-days. I have built 2 steel sailboats and owned one other briefly. Steel had a big following in the 70's and 80's. Good luck on your endeavor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 07:48   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum RRS Lake MI
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 08:49   #6

Thanks
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50   #7

Boat: Colvin Gazelle

Hi! I have a Gazelle that I use as a small tour boat in Philadelphia. You can always visit us to see a finished boat, although no boat is ever really finished! I had a guy from Scotland visit to see the Junk rig in action. He's building a boat and wants to Junk rig it. I had a local guy visit to see our framing. He's building his own steel hull at home. You can learn more about us at AmericanSailingTours.com.
Cap'n Tom
capn tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47   #8

Thanks Capt Tom. Good resourse, I am sure that I will be out at some point. I'll be in touch.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52   #9

My Gazelle is at the moment in Guaymas, mx. It is a great little ship and has been customized considerably. Bu'Kwiis is rigged as a unstayed ketch now. She has a pilot house and all the trimmings. If you google her, I'm sure there will be pictures coming up.
srankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:57   #10

Always like that Gazelle design. There are a few around, see one every now and then.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48   #11

I've made progress with my online research. My hull was built without transverse frames which through me for a loop for a while. I need to install the transverse frames and the rest should be straight forward. I didn't think it was possible to build without frames but T. Colvin explained that some pro yards do it that way.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59   #12

I've seen aluminum boats built with no athwartships frame either. Metal is pretty strong! Fiberglass boats dont have frames... why should metal?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:09   #13

We'll T.C. Said they put the frames later. He said frames are not optional. Just that pro yards have a different build method that allows them to do that. Let's them move frames around a bit for alternate interior arrangements too.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11   #14

I imagine they are to keep from oil canning, although putting frames in after the hull is welded would likely be after any oil canning has occurred...? or maybe a boat without frames yet that doesnt have any oil canning is a sign that it was welded by a real pro! I guess bulkheads are essentially frames. Are there any longitudinals in the boat?
We'd all like to see some pics of your boat!
Alot of pics here: http://www.svtaz.org/boats/Bukwiis/

Old 06-01-2012, 11:27   #15

Yes, logitudinals per design, I believe 8" oc on bottom and 12" on sides. Hull built very fair, very well done.