Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2021, 11:59   #16

Boat: DownEaster 38
Re: Complete new instrumentation needed

You (OP) do not mention the data network. If only the instruments were stolen you may still have a backbone to work with. I'd start there and plan out a N2K network with selected instruments to get going. I like Maretron https://www.maretron.com/index.php for the network to which you can add instruments from several manufacturers. I chose B&G but Raymarine is also pretty popular.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 12:06   #17

I have for sale a complete set of used Raymarine electronics:
- 3 MFD chart plotters: C90, W90W, W120W
- 18" Digital HD Color Radar
- Electronic compass
- Compass gyro
- GPS
- ST7002 Autopilot computer (no actuator)
- Autopilot control head
- Various cables and connectors
It is all in working order, in very good condition. All for $2,250.
Let me know if you're interested.
C.
infotechma04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 12:15   #18

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

There is no right answer. If you want the best chartplotter then pay the premium for Furuno - it is not even close. If not then Raymarine is the most complete firmware for the recreational market (Furuno is professional gear). B&G used to be the best for sailors (decades ago) but their current products are not as full-featured as Furuno and Raymarine, and their customer support in the US is one very busy person. Garmin is pretty nice to work with but they lock you into their charts and end support after 5 years or so, therefore not a good investment.

One of the most important considerations is the chart support. The better systems offer both Navionics and C-Map charts as paid-for options, and in the US should include free NOAA charts. And they should provide extended support, not keep changing the formats and discontinuing support. I bought my Furuno 12 years ago and every year since I have downloaded and installed, for free, updated NOAA charts. I can buy both Navionics and C-map charts for it even today, as the current models use the same format.

You should install an NMEA 2000 backbone with the official DeviceNet connectors, and try to buy devices that use them (but don't be afraid of adapter cables). Maretron is a good source for cables, connectors, power insertion, breakout boxes, etc. Buy Airmar smart transducers (depth, speed, temp) and attach to backbone. There are several choice for N2K wind instruments which have been discussed on other threads.

Each of the likely suppliers of chartplotters has solid state radar scanners to match, and I would stretch the little bit extra for one of them rather than the older technology.

I would be reluctant to buy products that are nearing discontinuation in order to save some money, as their supported life will be years shorter. If you are an electronics/software DIY guy then by all means amuse yourself with a Raspberry Pi 4 and, when the new version is out, add a Moitessier HAT for GPS and AIS receivers, as well as 9-axis sensors for driving an autopilot. Use an inexpensive USB-N2K adapter to your backbone and a bright display panel and you have a basic system; add a supported Simrad solid state radar scanner and you have a complete system at a bargain price. If that doesn't sound like a fun way to spend hours getting it going and then maintaining the software then give it a pass, or do it as a backup/hobby.

I strongly recommend buying a proper AIS Class B+ system. It is a lot easier for you to see a freighter than the other way around: you really want to be transmitting so they can avoid you. Usually if there would be a close encounter the freighter will slightly alter course far in advance, and you may never even notice it. Do connect the AIS to the backbone, and buy a DSC VHF radio that also connects to N2K and can respond to the commands for DSC calling of AIS contacts - don't bother with an AIS receiver inside the radio.

While the electronics are expensive it is actually an opportunity to put in a modern system that meets your needs. Older boats often come with just enough old electronics to make it hard to justify a clean start.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 13:19   #19

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePapillon View Post
....................as a veteran sailor, do you really need all that stuff? ..possible status symbol? Just equip yourself with a quality Pad, I Pad or similar that is equipped with real GPS and e charts...it will provide all the information you'll need for sailing. ..weather, etc etc And a set of binoculars.
I'm with OnePapillon - one doesnt necessarily 'need' instruments. We have a compass, VHF, an iPad and a GPS. An auto pilot would be handy (so that instead of heaving to in relative safety, I can pass out down below while making full speed towards whatever hazard lies ahead, or ensure that the boat doesnt stop when I fall off the foredeck)...
Used to have full instruments, but they all died one by one over the last couple of decades, and surprise!.....turns out I didnt actually 'need' any of em!
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 13:55   #20

Boat: O’Day 40

Since this thread is covering the waterfront, I’ll give another thumbs up for the Raspberry PI solution. I built one for over the chart table as it was less expense than a sizeable repeater for my new Raynarine setup. Also liked the idea that I could remove it & pop it in the oven during an electrical storm.

With a Pi4 & 8m ram, I’ll have less than $500 into it, with the most expensive part being a15” touchscreen monitor. Charts are free thanks to the USG, it’s quick looks good & seems to work well.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 19:14   #21

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Cant speak to the cost of auto-pilot as my original Cetak hydraulic still going strong, but; chart plotter used a Garmin 5” for yrs, cost $350 with northeast charts. Garmin wind/depth/speed was costly, $1500. AIS Vespa was est $800 B class, so send/receive - its worth it. So just below three thousand...I rarely use autopilot as boat tracks with lite touch at the helm. Do I really need the wind instruments...not really, but fun to play with by guessing the wind speed before checking the guages. Handheld VHF on sale about $80, mounted VHF about $120. Would echo using Defender and their Spring sale happens soon, check their site.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum