Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2021, 00:20   #1

COMPLETE refit

My dear sailheads,

Can anyone suggest a good place to do a COMPLETE refit of a 35-45 foot sailboat? I’m talking about ripping EVERYTHING out and replacing it with new. I can’t do it myself so I’m looking for a yard that could do it all for me. I have worked/suffered on 3 of my own boats so know enough to supervise but I don’t want to lift a single tool - which is as much for the quality of workmanship as it is to preserve my own sanity.

Is this even a thing that people do? I’m thinking that I could get an essentially new boat for about a third the cost of a new one. Have I been spending too much time in poorly-ventilated spaces working with epoxy?

I can go anywhere in the world - especially if it means taking advantage of high levels of skill or/and low costs of labor.

Any and all (positive, upbeat, even heart-warming) suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Ed
edokarura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 00:45   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: COMPLETE refit

It would not be a proposition in Australia because of labor costs but maybe a SE Asian country? You better sharpen your pencil though because it could cost more than buying a good used yacht in the end.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 02:52   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Thailand or Malaysia have some cheap yards with skilled workmen.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 03:07   #4

Boat: Stratus 747

Kudat in tne north of Borneo. I understand the biggest hurdle is finding truly skilled trade and then keeping them motivated to do a proper job. Another hurdle is the 2/3/4 flights just to get there if you have to visit which adds $$$.

I still do some basic work myself but realised I'm better off working extra hours in my chosen profession and then paying a shipwright to do the job properly (as it's their chosen profession). Also doing it myself takes at least 5 times longer for a job no more than 80% as good and sometimes having to do it twice.
Boony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 23:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Thailand or Malaysia have some cheap yards with skilled workmen.
Yeah, I got my first two boats there and found that to be true. Was kinda looking for other possibilities, though, and advice on complete refits in general.

Cheers!
Old 19-05-2021, 23:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boony View Post
realised I'm better off working extra hours in my chosen profession and then paying a shipwright to do the job properly (as it's their chosen profession). Also doing it myself takes at least 5 times longer for a job no more than 80% as good and sometimes having to do it twice.
Too true! “You can DIY” is a cruel, expensive, time-consuming lie!

Tags
refit