Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2022, 18:42   #16

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Composite Chainplates Coming Together! (Pics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilCigno View Post
Following the plans is always wise. I asked because I know someone who is building a F39 trimaran. He uses carbon a lot, especially on high load construction items like chainplates. Take a look at his site:
www.fram.nl/float1.html
about halfway down the page you'll find 'Carbon fiber chainplate'.
actually, I’m looking at that website again. That’s just the old boat. I see his little daughter or whatever doing that drill. That was from 12 years ago. She is probably in college now or out in the workforce at this point.

If you look, my boat is built identically to the way his is. In fact, I think he is where I got the technique to join the Corecell together using cake bags to squeeze the bog into the core in the female mold. I also resin infused the whole thing just like him. I followed the exact same process as Fram did. Identical structure. Just bigger

take a look at this. This is a link to one of the videos on his site where he is doing the infusion part.

12 years old.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:19   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I think you should be duty bound to take us CF forum posters for a spin on your boat when done..
A two week trip to the B'mas should do as a shake down cruise !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:45   #18

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That’s just the old boat. I see his little daughter or whatever doing that drill. That was from 12 years ago.
No, same boat. Still building. Perfection takes a lot of time obviously.
And yes, I know him reasonable well. I helped him on a few occasions with the build.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:49   #19

Quote:
No, same boat. Still building. Perfection takes a lot of time obviously.
And yes, I know him reasonable well.
Oh, good lord.

he has my deepest sympathies. I thought my boat was taking forever. He started before me.

I give him a lot of credit for sticking through it this long. I am about to lose it. I can’t do this much longer. The stress is awful. And there is absolutely no enjoyment. There’s no sailing.

if you ever see him, tell him I said thank you for the idea of putting the bog in between the Corecell sheets with the cake decorating bag in the mold. That was a very good idea he had. It worked perfectly on my boat.

He and I did everything the same with the hulls.

It is the absolute best way you can build a boat. And it is perfection. I agree.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:29   #20

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

I'll pass it on. And btw, he is sailing, a lot. Just not on his own boat. He's now exploring the high lattitudes around Norway, Iceland and Greenland. So no need for pity
Old 11-07-2022, 10:50   #21
Marine Service Provider

Chotu,

Take heart...back when I was building my boat....1981-ish, I got to know a guy building a Roberts 53. He had actually started before me....sometime in the 1970's.....50 years later...he is still working on it...

Some people have no intention of sailing anywhere..for them....building the boat is the journey...so they never finish as that would mean the end of the journey..
Old 11-07-2022, 12:09   #22

Quote:
I'll pass it on. And btw, he is sailing, a lot. Just not on his own boat. He's now exploring the high lattitudes around Norway, Iceland and Greenland. So no need for pity
That’s great! This is also what has taken me so long. I had some severe house problems from building the boat, and I needed to get away and take a lot of breaks because of that and also the stress that comes along with it. So I have taken half a year off several times.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Chotu,

Take heart...back when I was building my boat....1981-ish, I got to know a guy building a Roberts 53. He had actually started before me....sometime in the 1970's.....50 years later...he is still working on it...

Some people have no intention of sailing anywhere..for them....building the boat is the journey...so they never finish as that would mean the end of the journey..
Oh yes! That’s right. There are people like that. That is not me. I built a boat because I could not afford a decent boat. The only way to afford it was to build it. So that’s what I did.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:29   #24
Marine Service Provider

Chotu,

I hear ya...when I started building my boat, I had the naive idea I could build a 40' boat in 9 months with $10K..I had everything planned out to a dime. $10k was all the money I had in the world, not one more dime.

Needless to say, but both my time and budget were w-a-a-a-a-y off target...w-a-a-a-a-y off.

I splashed the boat after about 3 years of work, but continued to work on it for years as funds became available. I don't recall how much $ I had invested in my build...but it was substantial more than the $10k I had budgeted.

Like you, there were times I had to step away from the project, but also times, I worked morning, noon and night on it.

Looking back, it was a fun period of my life. No regrets whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Chotu,

I hear ya...when I started building my boat, I had the naive idea I could build a 40' boat in 9 months with $10K..I had everything planned out to a dime. $10k was all the money I had in the world, not one more dime.

Needless to say, but both my time and budget were w-a-a-a-a-y off target...w-a-a-a-a-y off.

I splashed the boat after about 3 years of work, but continued to work on it for years as funds became available. I don't recall how much $ I had invested in my build...but it was substantial more than the $10k I had budgeted.

Like you, there were times I had to step away from the project, but also times, I worked morning, noon and night on it.

Looking back, it was a fun period of my life. No regrets whatsoever.

I think I was pretty much on time and on budget. I had already tripled the estimates of each and my estimates were conservative. I had a lot of experience pricing out software projects and I know how things creep.

so, what happened with mine is I lost half of the build money in a divorce. I was also doing charters as my main source of income, so, this was the new charter boat so I had no job either. I had to start from scratch to try to get that money back up that we had already made together in charters. that’s where my build money came from to begin with.

Half of the build money being gone caused quite a delay.

From there, I became deathly allergic to epoxy. at the same time, that allergy triggered several others. Particulate pollution, citrus, dairy, mold. And none of these is a small allergy. They are brutal. Citrus puts me in bed for two days with extreme exhaustion and joint pain. Particulate pollution causes me to not be able to breathe. Mold causes me to not be able to breathe in the same way as the pollution. Epoxy causes anaphylactic reactions that put me in the hospital. Dairy is the easy one. It just causes me not to be able to go to the bathroom anymore. Lol. For like a week. then you would swear there was a rabbit in there.

Fast forward from all that to Covid. I got the shot. Johnson & Johnson. 12 days later my heart filled up with blood clots. That was a widow maker heart attack and caused by that. I have since spent the last year or so recovering from that and trying to exercise as much as I can to get capacity back in my heart. Half of it died. I went to Colorado to go running up in the high altitudes in order to see if I could build more capillaries just like Olympic athletes do. to restore blood flow to the damaged parts of my heart. And it worked. I got most of my heart working again. Actually all of it is working again, the Apex is just sluggish.

these are the reasons I did not finish on time.

If it were just me building the boat without a divorce and without the health problems, I would have been done a long long time ago. Even from both direct hits of hurricanes. I only sustain damage from the first hit. Because the morning dragged across the bay and smashed my phone into a concrete wall. other boat sunk around it.
But a lot of those boats had dinghy davits and they did some damage.

With the second hurricane, I was able to move the out away from any Marinas and put it at anchor so there was no damage.

Oh yeah. Did I mention a category three and a category four hurricane both directly hit the boat? That sent me back a little also.

Last time I was around polyester, the styrene, just blowing in the wind from me standing on the dock not even going on the boat, caused my nose to have a period. I had a huge sinus headache all afternoon, then the next day, all of the inner lining of my sinuses and blood came pouring out all day long. I can’t be around any chemicals anymore for the most part. Everything seems to cause me a problem.

This is how my build went. And this is why I can’t take much more.
Old 11-07-2022, 13:09   #26

And I think I would have to say without a doubt, building a boat has been the worst experience of my entire life. Everything else has been much better than this. I hate to sound really negative, but after you go through what I just mentioned in the last post, I think that’s about as bad as it gets without just flat out dying. Lol
Old 11-07-2022, 14:59   #27
Marine Service Provider

I can laugh about it now, but I also went thru' a divorce about halfway thru' my build. Like you, my soon-to-be-ex wanted half the boat.

I said I'd cut the boat in half and asked if she wanted the front half or back half.

She didn't think that was as funny as I did, so I offered half my tools, but she didn't think that was funny either, but being poor as a church mouse, we couldn't divide up any money, so we worked out a deal whereby she was happy...of sorts...and I completed the project on my own.

I'm pretty sure most homebuilders could share similar stories.

Yep, I had my share of ups and downs as well, but overall, I had a blast building it. It was a dream for me. I was raring to go see places, so left soon after I splashed it.

When I left, my boat had no engine, only a vhf radio, and little else, but I had a blast. Some close calls here and there, but by and large, I made it. Eventually some money trickled in and I installed a diesel and other stuff I needed. I was constantly working on the boat as I could afford it.

I tell you all this in the hope it will inspire you to keep going, no matter what life throws at you.
Old 11-07-2022, 17:38   #28

hey! Who hijacked this thread? Oh wait. I think I did. Ha ha

I will get some pictures of the composite chain plates in here as soon as they are installed.
Old 18-07-2022, 06:42   #29
MEC

Boat: Hinckley Sou'Wester 52 Dauntless

The strength of the clevis cross-section must not be less than the strength of the tenon cross-section connecting the clevis to the main mounting plate. The pin strength controls the clevis geometry.

Not a good idea IMO to mate a 316 pin to a 316 bushing, this mating material is guaranteed to gall or scuff, leading to wear, pitting stress risers and fatigue.

316 is a low strength material.

This structure would be much better to use a titanium pin with an aluminum bronze bushing.

Hope this information is useful.
MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 07:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC View Post
The strength of the clevis cross-section must not be less than the strength of the tenon cross-section connecting the clevis to the main mounting plate. The pin strength controls the clevis geometry.

Not a good idea IMO to mate a 316 pin to a 316 bushing, this mating material is guaranteed to gall or scuff, leading to wear, pitting stress risers and fatigue.

316 is a low strength material.

This structure would be much better to use a titanium pin with an aluminum bronze bushing.

Hope this information is useful.
Definitely appreciate the input, but that’s not what the plans said and I figure I will go with the finite element analysis output the designer ran. Actual numbers.

I’m sure you could have a design debate with the designer. But, the stainless seems to be working and has for decades.

As a matter of fact, the stainless isn’t really doing much. Yes, the pin is, but the glass is taking the load to the hull. It is just transferred through those bushings. They are in compression. Against the glass wrap.

I can show you a picture of a sister ship being lifted by a crane by just a pair of these chain plates. So I think they’re good.