Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2024, 12:10   #1

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.
Composite Decking for Hatch Sliders?

We've had a run of 70 degree F (20 C) days here in Minnesota and the tarp is off the Southwind 21.

I was looking at the companionway hatch and its 'sliders', a set of wood pieces screwed in from below. They have not seen varnish nor maintenance since before I bought the boat and many of the screws have crumbled their way through the cabin's inner layer of glassing into the core.

I am wondering if solid composite decking would be a good, maintenance-free option to replace the wood and if through-bolting with washers below and bores and bungs on top would be a good fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s21_sliders1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	288861   Click image for larger version

Name:	s21_sliders2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	288862  

Old 14-04-2024, 14:31   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Composite Decking for Hatch Sliders?

King Starboard is good for this. It comes in thicknesses up to one inch and three colors. You can through bolt it or even blind screw it from underneath with large sheet metal screws which would make it more attractive and plenty secure.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 19:28   #3

I'd looks at exterior vinyl trim. They make a lot of dimensional lumber measurement vinyl pieces. Consider reconditioning them, make the groove larger and add HDPE slides to them.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2024, 19:29   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Decking is designed NOT to be slippery. For hatch sliders you want something slippery. Your wood sliders might have benefitted from rubbing soap on them for lubrication. Starboard or some other HDPE plastic would be a better choice than decking material.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 08:35   #5

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Thanks Everyone!
Looks like I can get King Starboard strips made at TAP plastics for about 120-130$US including shipping. I would just need to add the slots for the hatch. Local lumberyard has 1x4" PVC for 25$ but I would need a way to glue 2 pieces together before sizing them and adding the slots.
Old 15-04-2024, 09:18   #6

The Starboard stays "slick" well, which is another advantage for sliders.

Composite decking is covered with an outside layer/wrap which avoids absorbing water/dampness. Once cut it is less water resistant.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 10:12   #7

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I would recommend looking into HDPE(?), like milk jugs are made from.
15-20 yr ago, the product was offered as residential decking. It didn't last long, as it was terribly slippery...moreso when wet or frosted and prone to static discharge.
Of late, mostly offered in yard furniture and kiddie play sets and outdoor play yards.
15 or so yrr ago, I built my companionway doors/hatch from repurposed 1/2" sheets of the stuff. Only a bit of dulling of the surface, which is for tge most part South-facing. The stuff is a bit soft; but very slick...especially against itself with a bit of dry silicone spray!

I've had little luck finding a supplier of dimensional "boards". Perhaps a call to some of the Amish builders of such "play" ware is in order , as most retailers of outdoor furniture only sell the finished product.
At worst; buy a chaise longe and dusassemble it for bits needed?
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 10:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Thanks Everyone!
Looks like I can get King Starboard strips made at TAP plastics for about 120-130$US including shipping. I would just need to add the slots for the hatch. Local lumberyard has 1x4" PVC for 25$ but I would need a way to glue 2 pieces together before sizing them and adding the slots.
You use the same stuff that you use for plumbing.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 10:21   #9

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

The slickness of StarBoard causes issues when trying to caulk it against water intrusion. I am not sure any caulk will stick to it….so you may get water into your boat deck core…..be careful!
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2024, 11:54   #10

Boat: 1979 Ranger 28

Few thoughts on alternative materials..

Composite decking normally contains wood. While the top/sides are covered in a heavier layer of plastic (like a shell), the board itself can still swell when wet - if not fastened properly. It starts to curl upwards (edges and ends). The more you mill these pieces and expose the core, the more challenges you will have. True plastic wood (think high cost colored plastic adirondack chairs) the better your success, albeit higher expense.

Vinyl trim pieces have a nice smooth finish until you start cutting/ripping them - then the cut edge has a porous feeling which gets dirty fast and doesnt clean well at all.
markrsimon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hatch